Game Discussion Thread

Cereal

Are we really supposed to not care about bad officiating? Really?

I am dumbfounded that anyone could say that play didn't effect the game. I am dumbfounded that an official on the ice could see Tyler's leg get chopped out from under him and not make that call,.. dumbfounded. If he does, would anyone here have said the refs gave us a gift? No. That's because it was a penalty and we wouldn't even be talking about Miller's softy.

I have always hated that the rules of hockey change in the last 5 minutes of a game. I have always hated that the rules of hockey change in the playoffs. I hate that they are completely subjective based on how a ref feels that night (and by Campbell's recent emails we know this to be true).

Sorry, I'll never give it up.

Non calls are part of the game, always have been. As a matter of fact they call more pentalties today than they ever did. The game is so much tamer. Tyler is learning and it can be hard to watch him at times.This game turned on a bad decision he made not on a missed call. If he plays it strait up ,like he should have, there is no call to make. I know you guys are upset but geez..pick a better issue.

All talk of Miller aside, now we'll see a even more diminished Thomas Vanish with the apparent longterm injury of his partner Roy...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article292823.ece

I could argue that with the loss of Briere, Spacek, and Chris that two lines of offense disappeared,along with some very good playmakers and a power play . I could remind you that half of the 40 goal season were goals scored on the pp. The Sabres never replaced those players and god knows the Sabres do not have a playmaker or a pp. Dereck Roy is a shoot first player and cares little about the quality of the chance.He is not physical. Thats ok . There are places in the game for players like Roy but he is not a great choice to play with Vanek.He was never Vaneks partner. Your best shooter gets less than five shots a game. What does that tell you? And don't say he does not shoot enough or he is lazy. It should tell you something about the way he is being defensed and the defects in the way he used offensively and used by his linemates. If Vanek played on a line with a Thonton or an Ignilia (sp) he would score 50. Gleason hit that one right on the nose when he said it. It has been obvious to the rest of us for a long time. How was Roy playing when he was not paired with Thomas? The loss of Roy could improve that line if he replaces him with the right player.It is Vanek who makes Roy more effective.

Non calls are part of the game, always has been. As a matter of fact they call more pentalties today than they ever did. The game is so much tamer. Tyler is learning and it can be hard to watch him at times.This game turned on a bad decision he made not on a missed call. If he plays it strait up ,like he should have, there is no call to make. I know you guys are upset but geez..pick a better issue.

A bad decision? Beating your man and moving toward the net is a bad decision? It would appear not... from the Buffalo News:

"A similar move by Myers created Jordan Leopold's second goal of the game in the second period, forging a 3-3 tie. This time, it turned into disaster."

(http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article292823.ece))

So explain to me how that was a bad move my Myers? McCreary knew he blew the call or he would have given Myers an unsportmanlike for the way he chased him down and screamed at him.

We didn't lose the game because of the refs - but the Panthers got that scoring chance because of a non-call.

A bad decision? Beating your man and moving toward the net is a bad decision? It would appear not... from the Buffalo News:

"A similar move by Myers created Jordan Leopold's second goal of the game in the second period, forging a 3-3 tie. This time, it turned into disaster."

(http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article292823.ece))

So explain to me how that was a bad move my Myers? McCreary knew he blew the call or he would have given Myers an unsportmanlike for the way he chased him down and screamed at him.

We didn't lose the game because of the refs - but the Panthers got that scoring chance because of a non-call.

Yes, a very bad decision. A mistake made by a giffted but still inexperienced young defenseman.Where was he when he lost the puck? And more importantly why was he there with no cover behind him at that point in that game. They pay him to play defense in that situation, not to score or create scoring chances.The Panthers got that odd man rush because Tyler made a fatal mistake.It happens.It is the game and part of the learning process. Under five,you score if you get the chance but your d should be playing for the point if your the Sabres, not the time to be committing your defensemen to the rush and get them caught in the zone..If you want to do that in OT...fine.

Archived