Tampa, Atlanta and the Rangers v Sabres

Dave Dryden

I'm not on my high horse, I took offence to Ghost posting that 'I will frolic in the meadow with a litter of puppies' just because I don't think they completely suck. I have no idea the best method for searching for key words through thousands of posts to find links. However, I have most certainly read posts where realists and those who think that the Stanley Cup and not the playoffs is the ultimate goal are 'better fans' or 'true fans.' Honestly I don't even know how to start searching for this info again though as I did not make a note of which threads they were under. Whatever, I'll end my discussion here. Just frusterating reading the constant negativity when this message board has been so good for so many years.

I'm a true Sabres fan and have been one since childhood.

I thought (and actually still think) that the Sabres are only a couple of good forwards from being legit cup contenders.

I think that they've made a few terrible personnel decisions in the past few years that have really hurt the team.

I think their chances of making the playoffs this year are between 25% and 50% as long as Miller stays healthy.

I appreciate it when other posters are positive/optimistic about the team, as long as the posts aren't from outer space (which yours aren't, but some are).

I certainly don't think anyone who posts here isn't a true fan -- regardless of whether they're very negative or very positive.

I also really like pizza with a LOT of pepperoni.

Has there been talk of "true Sabres fans" on Sabrespace?

If so, I've been oblivious. I think anyone who spends the time to post here is fan enough.

Whether you're a doom and gloomer or fanboy extraordinairre, there is a place for all is the populous we refer to as Sabres fans.

The phrase is used in post 17 in this thread.

We as true Sabres fans = all

Freed from bondage = Pegula...buy the damn team already

As for the puppies and narco.....I get a kick out of people who say to not post because you don't think the team has a real chance. That's even more of a reason to post. If you are happy with this team's makeup, effort, character, management, coaching, ownership, arena atmosphere, etc. over the last 5 years.....and it makes you happy....congratulations. I just don't want you anywhere near a decision making process that involves me. Because I am not happy with it, I miss the days where I could respect every quality I just mentioned, and I long for the day where all of the above are cranking at 100% or as close to it, once again.

I'm not telling you Derek to go there. I'm saying if I want to be in a peaceful happy-land where I see no negative....I will down some pills and play with some puppies. It does wonders.

PS

SPCA Radiothon on Star 102.5 and WBEN 930 the next 2 days. Larry Playfair just brought over some goodies for them. I don't know how much gets auctioned off today, but it sounded like some good stuff.

SPCA

Three playoff seasons in the last eight years! That shouldn't be acceptable and fans should be holding the franchise accountable or at least trying to. That's what the "negative" posters are all about. Maybe it's an age thing. I remember when making the playoffs was a given. You never considered that they wouldn't. When they didn't it was a shock and fans expected changes to be made and they were. Under this current management it's no big deal if they don't make the playoffs. Failure no longer initiates change. If the owner does not change and this team fails to make the playoffs it's a given that no significant changes will be made.

I've avowed many times that I'm one of those overtly positive posters. You have to dig a long way back to see me really trash the current team, GM or coach. I remember a few years back when they had a good season going and absolutely tanked in January. I was calling for heads. But for the most part I don't do it. As X said, when it ain't fun or I'm suffering from ennui (hah! I got it in a sentence), I just take a break.

What I genuinely like about this board, is that there ARE people who balance my overly positive point of view. As an example, I truly believe they will make the playoffs. They're closing in. It's a long season. Other teams will have funks too. This board has folks who think they have crapped the bed and it's too late. I see myself and I see them as true fans.

What it comes down to for me is that folks, no matter what their persuasion (posters, lurkers, talkers, life is good, life sucks) who regularly visit this forum or any forum are real fans. When you are a true fan of anything, you care, you read and you participate When you aren't a true fan, you ignore it completely.

When the board trends to overly negative, I don't read or stop reading certain threads. I need puppies.

By the way.... Atlanta and Tampa lost last night.. 9th place baby!!! 500 tonight after they womp the overly due for a loss, Penguins!!!

I've avowed many times that I'm one of those overtly positive posters. You have to dig a long way back to see me really trash the current team, GM or coach. I remember a few years back when they had a good season going and absolutely tanked in January. I was calling for heads. But for the most part I don't do it. As X said, when it ain't fun or I'm suffering from ennui (hah! I got it in a sentence), I just take a break.

What I genuinely like about this board, is that there ARE people who balance my overly positive point of view. As an example, I truly believe they will make the playoffs. They're closing in. It's a long season. Other teams will have funks too. This board has folks who think they have crapped the bed and it's too late. I see myself and I see them as true fans.

What it comes down to for me is that folks, no matter what their persuasion (posters, lurkers, talkers, life is good, life sucks) who regularly visit this forum or any forum are real fans. When you are a true fan of anything, you care, you read and you participate When you aren't a true fan, you ignore it completely.

When the board trends to overly negative, I don't read or stop reading certain threads. I need puppies.

By the way.... Atlanta and Tampa lost last night.. 9th place baby!!! 500 tonight after they womp the overly due for a loss, Penguins!!!

That's all good. And balance is great. But often there is an arrogance to the negative posters that translates into negative=intelligent

and negative=realist while optimist=stupid and optimist=really stupid drug taking puppy hugger who lives in a fantasy world. And you cannot be a true fan unless you see it negatively, and want to fire everyone associated with the team. And their intolerence for any other viewpoint other than their own is Stalin-like, or Tea Party like, depending on your point of reference. The optimists need to toughen up--but it is true that anything optimistic will be attacked like the unfortunate cow that wades into a river of pirannas(sp?). So that is the real issue--tolerence.

That's all good. And balance is great. But often there is an arrogance to the negative posters that translates into negative=intelligent

and negative=realist while optimist=stupid and optimist=really stupid drug taking puppy hugger who lives in a fantasy world. And you cannot be a true fan unless you see it negatively, and want to fire everyone associated with the team. And their intolerence for any other viewpoint other than their own is Stalin-like, or Tea Party like, depending on your point of reference. The optimists need to toughen up--but it is true that anything optimistic will be attacked like the unfortunate cow that wades into a river of pirannas(sp?). So that is the real issue--tolerence.

If you post an opinion, prepare to have that opinion challenged. If you don't like it, what the hell are you doing on a message board? If you want to only listen to people with the same viewpoint as you than talk to yourself in a mirror. This crap about real fans is as stupid as posting an opinion on a message board and getting pissed when someone has a different opinion.

Three playoff seasons in the last eight years! That shouldn't be acceptable and fans should be holding the franchise accountable or at least trying to. That's what the "negative" posters are all about. Maybe it's an age thing. I remember when making the playoffs was a given. You never considered that they wouldn't. When they didn't it was a shock and fans expected changes to be made and they were. Under this current management it's no big deal if they don't make the playoffs. Failure no longer initiates change. If the owner does not change and this team fails to make the playoffs it's a given that no significant changes will be made.

I don't see this as a negative comment. I agree with everything said. Deluca is simply pointing out the lowered expectations of our management group and ( I think ) of the trickle down of said lowered expectations to some fans. Wanting or demanding accountability is not being negative in my mind. Its a positive thing to demand more from the team and management. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal,not missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 8 years. To me accepting the status quo and posting comments through rose coloured glasses is more negative. That attitude breeds complacency . There's nothing wrong with expecting success.

I don't see this as a negative comment. I agree with everything said. Deluca is simply pointing out the lowered expectations of our management group and ( I think ) of the trickle down of said lowered expectations to some fans. Wanting or demanding accountability is not being negative in my mind. Its a positive thing to demand more from the team and management. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal,not missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 8 years. To me accepting the status quo and posting comments through rose coloured glasses is more negative. That attitude breeds complacency . There's nothing wrong with expecting success.

Wow! I wish I had written this. I've been trying to say this for years.

I believe this franchise is destined to win a Cup. I believe it will win one, in my lifetime. That's the definition of being positive, and it's coming from one of the board grumps. All my negativity springs from that belief.

I don't think management has ever lowered expectations. Especially the way Philly did in 2006 in a managed cull.

I think expectations have remained high. The problems might stem from having too much confidence and never selling. But even in the two most recent years they missed the playoffs they were still contending for a spot the last week of the season and missed by a game, the only sale they had was Brian Campbell.

Lower Expectations = Fire Sale They have just never done it.

Now claiming they have made bad decisions is something entirely different.

dont care how they make it in but does this really look like a team that can even count on the eight spot? they are going to have to look like a different team the last half to make that happen and im not confident they have it in them. im feeling another nail biter right thru the last game, and if they end up missing by a single loss again im gonna go all val james

I don't think management has ever lowered expectations. Especially the way Philly did in 2006 in a managed cull.

I think expectations have remained high. The problems might stem from having too much confidence and never selling. But even in the two most recent years they missed the playoffs they were still contending for a spot the last week of the season and missed by a game, the only sale they had was Brian Campbell.

Lower Expectations = Fire Sale They have just never done it.

Now claiming they have made bad decisions is something entirely different.

It just seems to me at times that this management is content to fill the seats. Thats all I meant by lowered expectations. I agree with what you're saying though.

Interesting timing for this article.. Came out today about being popular when negative

A snippet: "According to a study by U.K. research group Statistical Cybermetrics, cyberspace citizens are overwhelmingly attracted to the negative. (Gasp!)"

I can understand that perception. Thanks for the clarification. :)

You are a mystery wrapped in an enigma inside a fortune cookie stuffed into a gigantic blooming onion.

How someone so knowledgeable about the game can be so (seemingly) content with the way things are puzzles me.

I like you though.

Great post.

Interesting timing for this article.. Came out today about being popular when negative

A snippet: "According to a study by U.K. research group Statistical Cybermetrics, cyberspace citizens are overwhelmingly attracted to the negative. (Gasp!)"

This message board is living proof that the above article is correct. Either way, I still check this message board regularily and do not intend on pissing off the pessimistic....errrrr regular posters on here. Let's Go Buffalo!

Wow! I wish I had written this. I've been trying to say this for years.

I believe this franchise is destined to win a Cup. I believe it will win one, in my lifetime. That's the definition of being positive, and it's coming from one of the board grumps. All my negativity springs from that belief.

It's why we make the emotional commitment to the franchise. It that one day when a player wearing a Sabres uniform gets to hoist the Stanley Cup. It will be an amazing feeling. I am a life long Red Sox fan. When they finally won I was emotional. I can imagine that emotion being 100 times that when a home town team finally wins something.

When I post Regier sucks or that player sucks and even not making any moves sucks it's all means to an end. What I am saying is that Regier can build a Stanley Cup winner or that player can't lead this team t a Stanley Cup or the inactivity isn't bringing this franchise closer to a Stanley Cup. The emotional investment has a payoff in finally winning a Cup.

Did they take into account a NFL franchise that has not made the playoffs in 11 years and a NHL franchise that has missed the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years? I would guess that Red Wing message boards and Patriot message boards are far more positive.

At this point, anyone who constatntly wants to hammer happy thoughts about this team probably desrves to be in a pastel one piece dress in Waco.

Many of the regulars and many of the quality posters who used to be much more positive, sometimes in instances I felt they shouldn't have, are now looking at the team in a more critical light. The Pegula story really pointed that out to me. The first few times you are fed leftovers in the cafeteria, they can taste pretty good and you may not even know they were leftovers unless you were in the kitchen or knew the chefs. But as time wears on, and the same food is served in different forms.....everyone begins to question if they are getting their money's worth. Sooner or later you are going to get sick on it, or just leave the table alltogether.

The Sabres aren't your 8 year old's hockey team. If my kid is gretting shelled 8-2 every game but he still likes hockey and has fun playing, I will encourage him that things will get better and I will keep working with him. I will never say to quit and will try to make the experience as positive as possible. The Sabres are supposed to be grown men who know the difference between right and wrong, courageous and cowardly, and how to play hockey. Most of them make millions of dollars a year.....the same dollars that we as fans hand over to them. Also taking the money of the fans are a quartet of management that have a history and a body of work available for the public to evaluate. The more history...the less that needs to be forecasted. The results speak for themself.

I can't tell you one regular poster here that would be negative if an owner came in who spent to the cap, and hired a GM who would show up to the office every day trying to improve the team, and that team consisted of a coach and players who gave 100% effort every game and didn't have a list of cliches the size of a Harry Potter book. This place would go bonkers.

We've had pretty much the same crew in control for 13 years. Much like a 5 year old who leaves the house at 18....if you only know one thing in your life, you may have no idea you grew up with a dysfunctional family.

Archived