Tampa, Atlanta and the Rangers v Sabres

Dave Dryden

Are these the teams to pull against when contemplating the Sabres playoff chances--such as they are(no Jim Mora please-- I get that this is a stupid post to some extent and we need to focus on winning a cup not just making the playoffs, blah blah blah)? So just humor me, if you don't mind.

Based on their recent history etc., I don't see Pitt., Wash, Montreal, Philly or the Bruins missing the playoffs this year. I don't see the Sabres catching any of those teams either--given the hole they have dug for themselves. The weak links in the current top 8 would thus seem to be the aforementioned teams--none of these teams made the playoffs last year. I realize that Buffalo needs to stay ahead of the teams equal or behind them in the standings--but I will take that as a given because the Sabres will need to play at least 10 games over .500 here on out to have a realistic shot at the playoffs and that likely will be enough to keep those other teams at bay.

So is that the right way to scoreboard watch, if I choose to do so? And if you agree, how do you rate the Sabres chances of catching those teams?

Are these the teams to pull against when contemplating the Sabres playoff chances--such as they are(no Jim Mora please-- I get that this is a stupid post to some extent and we need to focus on winning a cup not just making the playoffs, blah blah blah)? So just humor me, if you don't mind.

Based on their recent history etc., I don't see Pitt., Wash, Montreal, Philly or the Bruins missing the playoffs this year. I don't see the Sabres catching any of those teams either--given the hole they have dug for themselves. The weak links in the current top 8 would thus seem to be the aforementioned teams--none of these teams made the playoffs last year. I realize that Buffalo needs to stay ahead of the teams equal or behind them in the standings--but I will take that as a given because the Sabres will need to play at least 10 games over .500 here on out to have a realistic shot at the playoffs and that likely will be enough to keep those other teams at bay.

So is that the right way to scoreboard watch, if I choose to do so? And if you agree, how do you rate the Sabres chances of catching those teams?

Yes, your analysis is 100% correct IMO.

Unfortunately, 7 points back behind those 3 teams is probably too much for this particular Sabres squad to overcome.

Yes, your analysis is 100% correct IMO.

Unfortunately, 7 points back behind those 3 teams is probably too much for this particular Sabres squad to overcome.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. The games we actually play these teams are going to be HUGE and almost must win games.

I think the analysis is spot on and those are the three teams to keep an eye on. Although Ottawa will also be very much be in the mix so make sure to cheer against them too. I'm sick of the posters who say 'we should be looking to win the cup and not making the 8th seed.' Well in case you've missed the last few playoffs, the lower seeded teams have done pretty well (thinking of the Canadians last year and the Oilers the year they went to the cup final just off the top of my head). Also, you've got to be in that final tourney to win it all so might as well start the playoff watch now.

I think this is exactly right Dave. I would say the top five you mentioned are probably going to make it in the postseason. This would leave (at present) five teams to complete for the last three spots:

Buffalo, Tampa, Atlanta, NYR, and Ottawa.

So realistically, we need to beat out two of those teams to make it in. I think that any of those teams (Sabres included unfortunately) are capable of going on a five or six game slide somewhere, so I would not at all say the Sabres are out of the playoffs at this point. But they have to keep racking up the points and not blow games like the Boston game the other night...

The Sabres have 26 points in 28 games.

They need 67 points in 54 games to sneak in the playoffs. That is a pace of 102 points, or better than they played as division champs.

Nothing else matters but the play of the Sabres. Worrying about what teams to root against at this point is like worrying that you won't get the Pennysaver because your driveway is covered in 6 feet of snow. Just start digging and let everything else take care of itself.

I would think Montreal, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh are the legit locks on playoff spots.

The rest, anything can happen.

I find I want these teams to beat up on the poor sisters of the conference to help the Sabres.

Those are the only 3 teams I have been following for two weeks now....I keep waiting for Atlanta to stumble and they keep getting better. Tampa has got a TON of talent so I really think the Rangers are the ones to catch....

I'm not convinced that Tampa has the backend. I could see them stumbling.

And don't forget Carolina. They have 2 games in hand and are only 1 pt behind Buffalo.

The battle for that 8th spot is likely going to come down to more than just the couple of the teams currently in 6-8. Admittedly, Tampa, Atl, and NYR have a big points advantage.

The Sabres have 26 points in 28 games.

They need 67 points in 54 games to sneak in the playoffs. That is a pace of 102 points, or better than they played as division champs.

Nothing else matters but the play of the Sabres. Worrying about what teams to root against at this point is like worrying that you won't get the Pennysaver because your driveway is covered in 6 feet of snow. Just start digging and let everything else take care of itself.

Two teams made the playoffs in the East last year with 88 points, not 93 as you project. Based on earlier years you may be right, but 62 points in 54 games is only a 94 point pace as compared to your 102 point pace. Big difference whether the cutoff is 88 or 93 as you posit, when 65% of the season is yet to be played. So although I agree the Sabres control their own fate, what other teams do is not irrelevant when you have dug yourself a hole.

Two teams made the playoffs in the East last year with 88 points, not 93 as you project. Based on earlier years you may be right, but 62 points in 54 games is only a 94 point pace as compared to your 102 point pace. Big difference whether the cutoff is 88 or 93 as you posit, when 65% of the season is yet to be played. So although I agree the Sabres control their own fate, what other teams do is not irrelevant when you have dug yourself a hole.

NY is in 8th on pace for 93 points

Tampa and Atlanta on pace for 97

Boston on pace for 104

The eastern conference is playing much stronger this year.

I don't care if someone wants to brighten their day by watching other teams lose, but the Sabres have only played at the level the need to play at for the rest of the season for a consistant stretch of 3 months last year. At a certain point, the firemen stop risking their lives on a building and let it burn to the ground. Hopefully Pegula Insurance has an estimator on scene shortly.

Based on their recent history etc., I don't see Pitt., Wash, Montreal, Philly or the Bruins missing the playoffs this year. I don't see the Sabres catching any of those teams either--given the hole they have dug for themselves.

IDK.. I think we have Pitt right where we want them... B-)

NY is in 8th on pace for 93 points

Tampa and Atlanta on pace for 97

Boston on pace for 104

The eastern conference is playing much stronger this year.

I don't care if someone wants to brighten their day by watching other teams lose, but the Sabres have only played at the level the need to play at for the rest of the season for a consistant stretch of 3 months last year. At a certain point, the firemen stop risking their lives on a building and let it burn to the ground. Hopefully Pegula Insurance has an estimator on scene shortly.

So many posters continually give this team up for dead. Why post anymore if the season is over and they're not making the playoffs? Is it one of those misery loves company moments? It's a lonnnnng winter and hockey helps get me through it. So yes, it makes things more interesting cheering against certain teams and does brighten my day.

So many posters continually give this team up for dead. Why post anymore if the season is over and they're not making the playoffs? Is it one of those misery loves company moments? It's a lonnnnng winter and hockey helps get me through it. So yes, it makes things more interesting cheering against certain teams and does brighten my day.

If I want to feel all tingly and cuddly, I will frolic in the meadow with a litter of puppies and a script of vicoden from my esteemed Dr. Vinne Boombatz.

Until then, or until we as true Sabre fans are freed from bondage, I can only support my opinion with facts.

If I want to feel all tingly and cuddly, I will frolic in the meadow with a litter of puppies and a script of vicoden from my esteemed Dr. Vinne Boombatz.

Until then, or until we as true Sabre fans are freed from bondage, I can only support my opinion with facts.

I'm not trying to feel 'all tingly and cuddly' but it's pretty depressing to continually post negativity. I mean seriously, why even post at all if the season is a write off? I'm also sick of this "true sabres fans" term that I've read quite a bit lately. It doesn't mean crap. What, because I'll occasionaly post something other than 'blow up the team' or 'sabres arn't going anywhere' then I guess I'm not a 'true fan'. Forget that I live in Canada and HAVE to pay the approximately $250 a year payment just so that I can watch every game (NHL package). Forget that I've been a sabres fan since I was 5 years old. Forget that I fork out the cash and drive down there atleast twice a year having to spring for a hotel. Forget that I actively route for them even though they're 5 points out of a playoff spot. I must not be a 'true fan'. Whatever man.

-Rant over-

I'm not trying to feel 'all tingly and cuddly' but it's pretty depressing to continually post negativity. I mean seriously, why even post at all if the season is a write off? I'm also sick of this "true sabres fans" term that I've read quite a bit lately. It doesn't mean crap. What, because I'll occasionaly post something other than 'blow up the team' or 'sabres arn't going anywhere' then I guess I'm not a 'true fan'. Forget that I live in Canada and HAVE to pay the approximately $250 a year payment just so that I can watch every game (NHL package). Forget that I've been a sabres fan since I was 5 years old. Forget that I fork out the cash and drive down there atleast twice a year having to spring for a hotel. Forget that I actively route for them even though they're 5 points out of a playoff spot. I must not be a 'true fan'. Whatever man.

-Rant over-

Where are you reading this "true sabres fan" crap? I don't think you've seen it on this forum recently. In fact, I don't think that phrase has been uttered once towards an optimistic poster since I've come on board here at the start of the season. You'll have to provide links cuz I don't think anyone has condescended to that recently. (and if they do throw that out there it most def is condescending and deserves scorn)

The posters you are complaining about (and I am probably one of them) post what they post because they get enjoyment out of analyzing the team and currently have a negative analysis. That doesn't mean they've stopped rooting for the team, only that they have enough evidence to come to the conclusion that a successful season is in doubt. Believe you me, if I/we didn't get entertainment from the team I'd stop watching and posting.

Your horse. It's high. Dismount.

Has there been talk of "true Sabres fans" on Sabrespace?

If so, I've been oblivious. I think anyone who spends the time to post here is fan enough.

Whether you're a doom and gloomer or fanboy extraordinairre, there is a place for all is the populous we refer to as Sabres fans.

Where are you reading this "true sabres fan" crap? I don't think you've seen it on this forum recently. In fact, I don't think that phrase has been uttered once towards an optimistic poster since I've come on board here at the start of the season. You'll have to provide links cuz I don't think anyone has condescended to that recently. (and if they do throw that out there it most def is condescending and deserves scorn)

The posters you are complaining about (and I am probably one of them) post what they post because they get enjoyment out of analyzing the team and currently have a negative analysis. That doesn't mean they've stopped rooting for the team, only that they have enough evidence to come to the conclusion that a successful season is in doubt. Believe you me, if I/we didn't get entertainment from the team I'd stop watching and posting.

I'm not on my high horse, I took offence to Ghost posting that 'I will frolic in the meadow with a litter of puppies' just because I don't think they completely suck. I have no idea the best method for searching for key words through thousands of posts to find links. However, I have most certainly read posts where realists and those who think that the Stanley Cup and not the playoffs is the ultimate goal are 'better fans' or 'true fans.' Honestly I don't even know how to start searching for this info again though as I did not make a note of which threads they were under. Whatever, I'll end my discussion here. Just frusterating reading the constant negativity when this message board has been so good for so many years.

Whoa there lets not start eating our own here. see below

I am going to side with derek on this one, if you really read his post he wasn't doing anything but stating his opinion on a board that I thought allowed us all to share our idea's and opinions.

I admit I see/read it here at times on the board, an elitist smarter than us average bear fans attitude.

As I have seen and read many others posit if you do not agree with him you can ignore him but we shouldn't stomp all over people here just becuase because we disagree with them. and/or there(on purpose) spelling, punctuation or correct use of grammer. {end of my opinion}

Whoa there lets not start eating our own here. see below

I am going to side with derek on this one, if you really read his post he wasn't doing anything but stating his opinion on a board that I thought allowed us all to share our idea's and opinions.

I admit I see/read it here at times on the board, an elitist smarter than us average bear fans attitude.

As I have seen and read many others posit if you do not agree with him you can ignore him but we shouldn't stomp all over people here just becuase because we disagree with them. and/or there(on purpose) spelling, punctuation or correct use of grammer. {end of my opinion}

The way I took GoDD's post, "until we as true Sabre fans are freed from bondage" , he was referring to all of the fans, not just the negative sounding ones. IMO derek was reading something into it that just wasn't there. If I'm wrong then GoDD deserved the criticism, but I didn't see it as such. Maybe GoDD can clarify.

In any case, maybe I came on too strong. But this is the 2nd member in the past week that has posted with no other intent but to complain about the tone of other folks' posts. He has a right to do it. But so do the cynics. If your post consists of nothing but criticism of anothers' POV then you should expect criticism in return, and that goes for the cynics as well as the eternal optimists. Just sayin'...

ANYWHO..............

How 'bout that game last night, huh?

We as true Sabres fans = all

Freed from bondage = Pegula...buy the damn team already

As for the puppies and narco.....I get a kick out of people who say to not post because you don't think the team has a real chance. That's even more of a reason to post. If you are happy with this team's makeup, effort, character, management, coaching, ownership, arena atmosphere, etc. over the last 5 years.....and it makes you happy....congratulations. I just don't want you anywhere near a decision making process that involves me. Because I am not happy with it, I miss the days where I could respect every quality I just mentioned, and I long for the day where all of the above are cranking at 100% or as close to it, once again.

I'm not telling you Derek to go there. I'm saying if I want to be in a peaceful happy-land where I see no negative....I will down some pills and play with some puppies. It does wonders.

PS

SPCA Radiothon on Star 102.5 and WBEN 930 the next 2 days. Larry Playfair just brought over some goodies for them. I don't know how much gets auctioned off today, but it sounded like some good stuff.

SPCA

Archived