Ghost of Dwight Drane

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will you be eating tomorrow?

• White meat
    • Dark meat
    • Both
    • A Ryan Miller Tofurkey
    • None of the Above

In honor of the day the white man sat down with the natives, right before making a trade that rivals Gratton for Briere, what will you be eating tomorrow?

Everyone enjoy your feast, be it with drunken relatives who are off their Prozac, or alone with your 8 cats. And remember....we are all thankful for the gift that is hope. For without blind hope....there would be nobody here left to post.

PS...I predict chz likes the dark meat.

That sounds about right.

One of the coolest stadiums I've been in is the Tampa football stadium. They serve giant turkey drumsticks and 24 oz beers at a concession stand. Awesome.

Turkey drumsticks are greatly underrated along with turkey wings and thighs. I blame the average person's inability to cook a turkey properly. The average homemade turkey is overcooked ad the extremities are usually overcooked to the point of being inedible.

Turkey drumsticks are greatly underrated along with turkey wings and thighs. I blame the average person's inability to cook a turkey properly. The average homemade turkey is overcooked ad the extremities are usually overcooked to the point of being inedible.

brine + meat thermometer = win

I try and go cruelty-free as often as possible. Free range, organic, and killed using CAK instead of the old way. OK, so they don't sell turkey yet, but a bird's a bird. And I'm with DeLuca on this. dark meat when it's hot and cold white meat sandwiches the next day YUMMMMM.

http://pages.smartchicken.com/pages/products/organic.aspx

http://pages.smartchicken.com/Pages/cas.aspx

That sounds about right.

One of the coolest stadiums I've been in is the Tampa football stadium. They serve giant turkey drumsticks and 24 oz beers at a concession stand. Awesome.

You can get those at most of the theme parks here as well.

Funniest thing you'll ever see is some 8 year old kid walking around Sea World with a Turkey Drumstick the size of his forearm, chompin away!

Happy Holidays everyone!

I brined the bird yesterday, and it's been in the smoker since 5 AM.

post-1443-045093600 1290691380_thumb.jpg

Now you're talking my language. I do a hot smoke for my turkey. About 300F using apple wood until the thermo reads 160. Makes for a nice level of smoke flavor. Does not overpower the taste of the bird at all.

I'm gonna fire up the pit in a couple hours.

I voted dark meat. I like it both warm and cold. Yeah baby.

Can someone tell me what the point is of brining the turkey? I think we are having ours that way today and I'm curious about it (and I don't want to ask the chef as she might stab me if I question her methods).

And to all: Happy Thanksgiving. It's a great day to be alive.

I voted dark meat. I like it both warm and cold. Yeah baby.

Can someone tell me what the point is of brining the turkey? I think we are having ours that way today and I'm curious about it (and I don't want to ask the chef as she might stab me if I question her methods).

And to all: Happy Thanksgiving. It's a great day to be alive.

Brining adds flavor to the meat but it will also add moisture. It works because you are putting the bird in a salty solution. The salt solution will diffuse into the tissues of the bird and carry the flavors you add to the salt solution with it.

Here is an article about it

I use maple syrup, fresh sage, celery, onion , and garlic in my brines for flavorings but you could add most any kinds of aromatics and get the flavor into the bird.

BTW- if you are buying birds with "water added" in packaging brining won't have much effect. The water the processor adds has salt in it so diffusion won't work very well.

Archived