Who would you trade first from the core?

Barnabov

The problem is, who the hell does Lindy use to center the 2nd line? I don't see Adam coming back up without an injury. And Goose, Niedermayer, or McCormick don't really seem like improvements (although any one of them would give a better effort). I suppose Lindy could just slide Hecht over to center but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire this season either.

This is a one line team. :wallbash:

Put Gerbe in his slot - wasn't he a center in college? He has the offensive skill to play in the top six, and he certainly plays bigger than tiny tim.

I think even ruff has acknowledged that the Hecht at center experiment was an abject failure. And please god no to the others. If someone goes on IR, though, I really hope they bring Adam back up. Maybe with gerbe back Ellis can go back down!

Put Gerbe in his slot - wasn't he a center in college? He has the offensive skill to play in the top six, and he certainly plays bigger than tiny tim.

I think even ruff has acknowledged that the Hecht at center experiment was an abject failure. And please god no to the others. If someone goes on IR, though, I really hope they bring Adam back up. Maybe with gerbe back Ellis can go back down!

I'm still not convinced that Gerbe is an NHL talent, let alone a top 6 talent.

No.

I have never found any evidence of him ever being a center and am still going with the theory that somebody saw that he was a Sabres forward under 6', so assumed that he had to be a center.

Good assumption! Make him a center. He has a low center of gravity. His arms are too short to play tackle, but are perfect for quick face-off moves. He cant be any worse at draws than tiny tim.

No.

I have never found any evidence of him ever being a center and am still going with the theory that somebody saw that he was a Sabres forward under 6', so assumed that he had to be a center.

Gerbe at center: sasquatch, the shooter on the grassy knoll and women who celebrate Steak and BJ Day all rolled into one.

No.

He may have played some center when he was 16 in the USNTDP, but good luck finding any record of it.

No.

Shocked me but he was listed as a center in the NHL draft. I thought he was a LW right from the start.

Wiki 2005 NHL Entry Draft listing

#142 Nathan Gerbe (Centre) United States Buffalo Sabres U.S. National Team Development Program

Shocked me but he was listed as a center in the NHL draft. I thought he was a LW right from the start.

Wiki 2005 NHL Entry Draft listing

#142 Nathan Gerbe (Centre) United States Buffalo Sabres U.S. National Team Development Program

He is listed as a center in several different places on the web, including hockeys future website, which is probabl the most reliable. On the phone so too hard to provide links.

For me it's Pommer

Roy, Vanek, Stafford, Connolly, Pominville and Hecht. ... they have been the biggest constant other than Miller since that dark day. So, when I think of shaking up "the core", I'm thinking of those six. ... This team is "soft" (physically and mentally) primarily because of those six.

perfectly stated, carp.

for me, it has to be connolly. just has to be.

and that is saying something, given the utterly craptastic season #29 is having -- the guy is invisible when he's on the ice, is chugging along at -9, gets 16:30 minutes a night, and is on pace to score 10-12 points.

but i am willing to attribute some of pominville's struggles to connolly -- the indifference is just oozing off of The Skill at this point.

i can recall posting here that connolly exhibited an imagination with the puck that was unrivaled in the team's history -- i haven't seen evidence of that in quite some time. at the end of last year, i gave him the benefit of the doubt because it was said that he had a bad "wheel" and came back too soon/out of game shape. but this year for him has been -- well, not unlike what jimmy connors once famously called an umpire (looked for video, but could not find it).

When Vanek went to RW, he immediately made Pominville expendable, provided there is a team that sees his potential and risks his contract, which I don't think is impossible. We have Stafford, who, at his price, makes him perfect for the 2nd line RW role until someone from the minors astounds everyone and plays their way into that role, like kassian might.

Pominville could be a really attractive piece of a trade package.

When Vanek went to RW, he immediately made Pominville expendable, provided there is a team that sees his potential and risks his contract, which I don't think is impossible. We have Stafford, who, at his price, makes him perfect for the 2nd line RW role until someone from the minors astounds everyone and plays their way into that role, like kassian might.

I'd get rid of Stafford. The team does fine without him. He's like a young Jochen Hecht, who we also don't need.

Attractive to whom? A blind person? Someone who doesn't understand what $5.3MM per year for the next 4 years means? If you meant attractive to the Sabres, I agree. But no one is going to take that contract off the Sabres' hands without the Sabres taking back an equally terrible one in return.

Attractive to whom? A blind person? Someone who doesn't understand what $5.3MM per year for the next 4 years means? If you meant attractive to the Sabres, I agree. But no one is going to take that contract off the Sabres' hands without the Sabres taking back an equally terrible one in return.

All they have to do is chalk this season's sluggish start up to the head injury Pominville suffered early on. The other GMs will buy it. Pominville's points each of the last few seasons have been pretty respectable, in a defense-first system, and his salary is certainly not unheard of for a guy who hovers around Pominville's production, so I don't think all the GMs in the league share in your feelings on the matter. If we weren't asking for a superstar in return, in fact if all we asked for were a prospect or two, another team might very well take the deal. And my point is, with Vanek adding himself to the already burgeoning number of RWers on this team, all I'm thinking is shedding salary here. I know Darcy will never do it, of course, but I don't think he'd use the same reasoning you have.

pominville needs to go. the guy is suppose to be a sniper and yet derek roy is getting more goals every year. pominville should be getiing 30-35 goals a year and he aint coming close. worst of all is how garbage he is this year besides the kings game. ship him and his worthless play outta here. oh yeah and he NEVER hits the net. weak.

pominville needs to go. the guy is suppose to be a sniper and yet derek roy is getting more goals every year. pominville should be getiing 30-35 goals a year and he aint coming close. worst of all is how garbage he is this year besides the kings game. ship him and his worthless play outta here. oh yeah and he NEVER hits the net. weak.

It always amazes me how much these athletes miss the net or hit the goalie right in the breadbasket. I realize that the games fast and the defense force you to the outside or block the lane but hit the friggin net already.

All they have to do is chalk this season's sluggish start up to the head injury Pominville suffered early on. The other GMs will buy it. Pominville's points each of the last few seasons have been pretty respectable, in a defense-first system, and his salary is certainly not unheard of for a guy who hovers around Pominville's production, so I don't think all the GMs in the league share in your feelings on the matter. If we weren't asking for a superstar in return, in fact if all we asked for were a prospect or two, another team might very well take the deal. And my point is, with Vanek adding himself to the already burgeoning number of RWers on this team, all I'm thinking is shedding salary here. I know Darcy will never do it, of course, but I don't think he'd use the same reasoning you have.

Really? ive shown in another thread how overpaid pommers is for a RW with his production.

The fact is Pommers doesnt produce for 5.3 million.

Archived