GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

1) Food

2) Sundowner

3) I hope you like wings and boobies

Not to be snide, but I don't see good-paying jobs on that list. I've had conversations with several potential employers. The salaries they were talking about were a joke. I mean 40 percent of what I was making here in Washington, DC. I wouldn't mind taking less money to move back, but I don't want to be scalped.

This organization is sleeping in the bed they made at this point. Regier and Ruff and for that matter,Quinn, should all be canned and bring in a new management team and coaching staff. Spend the rest of the season (or a portion of it) evaluating then blow it up at the trade deadline(when teams grossly overpay). Get young prospects with promise and heart ( don't want to wait for draft picks to develop) and start over with a clear vision of what this team is going to be. What style of a team is this anyways? Does anyone know? Does this team have a mission statement ? Does this team have a hockey tradition or winning history? I don't think so. I've been following this team since 75 and I can honestly say other than 'the hardest working team in hockey' I can't remember there ever being a slogan that summed up what these guys are. What I do know is this team is rudderless and floundering and there appears to be no leaders that can pull them out of this funk. They've bottomed out as far as I can tell or are damn close to it.

Boy did I pick the wrong year to split seasons. Not even center ice on the 100 level could ease the pain of this one. That was the worst sporting performance I have been to since the Bills Cleveland 6-3 game.

Connolly, Gaustad, Stafford, Rivet need to be let go for anything. If you can't trade them, just dump them. Regier better be on the phone with Calgary RIGHT NOW and I don't care if we get raked over the coals in a trade for Iginla. This team needs a Captain and if it involves players like Vanek and Ennis, so be it.

I may have wasted a lot of $$ on this crappy team but I really, TRULY feel so badly for the parents who dump hundreds of dollars to take their kids out on a limited budget and have the team show nothing in return. F you to the players for that...a big F U

This organization is sleeping in the bed they made at this point. Regier and Ruff and for that matter,Quinn, should all be canned and bring in a new management team and coaching staff. Spend the rest of the season (or a portion of it) evaluating then blow it up at the trade deadline(when teams grossly overpay). Get young prospects with promise and heart ( don't want to wait for draft picks to develop) and start over with a clear vision of what this team is going to be. What style of a team is this anyways? Does anyone know? Does this team have a mission statement ? Does this team have a hockey tradition or winning history? I don't think so. I've been following this team since 75 and I can honestly say other than 'the hardest working team in hockey' I can't remember there ever being a slogan that summed up what these guys are. What I do know is this team is rudderless and floundering and there appears to be no leaders that can pull them out of this funk. They've bottomed out as far as I can tell or are damn close to it.

The problem is that Quinn is a minority owner, so he can't be canned unless Tom G tells him to butt out. And it appears to me that Quinn is a major part of the team's troubles.

It's nights like this that I realize how much I have to be thankful for. It's my mother's birthday. So not only do I get to be happy to have a wonderful mom, but also, I can be thankful for the fact that we had dinner in a nice restaurant that did not have a television, so I did not have to watch what apparently was a complete travesty of a hockey game, until late in the third.

You called for it. They lost. Then they fought.

Happy birthday Eleven's mom.

Does this team have a hockey tradition or winning history?

Considering the middling efforts and relative mediocrity this organization has given us repeatedly it may surprise you that the Sabres have the 3rd highest winning percentage in NHL history behind only Montreal and Philadelphia (Boston was extremely close behind and may have surpassed them tonight, as a matter of fact).

I know it surprised the hell out of me because as many fond memories I have of the Sabres I can think of more disappointing seasons than strings of excellence.

Considering the middling efforts and relative mediocrity this organization has given us repeatedly it may surprise you that the Sabres have the 3rd highest winning percentage in NHL history behind only Montreal and Philadelphia (Boston was extremely close behind and may have surpassed them tonight, as a matter of fact).

I know it surprised the hell out of me because as many fond memories I have of the Sabres I can think of more disappointing seasons than strings of excellence.

Wow -- didn't realize that.

Boy did I pick the wrong year to split seasons. Not even center ice on the 100 level could ease the pain of this one. That was the worst sporting performance I have been to since the Bills Cleveland 6-3 game.

Connolly, Gaustad, Stafford, Rivet need to be let go for anything. If you can't trade them, just dump them. Regier better be on the phone with Calgary RIGHT NOW and I don't care if we get raked over the coals in a trade for Iginla. This team needs a Captain and if it involves players like Vanek and Ennis, so be it.

I may have wasted a lot of $$ on this crappy team but I really, TRULY feel so badly for the parents who dump hundreds of dollars to take their kids out on a limited budget and have the team show nothing in return. F you to the players for that...a big F U

Holy Cow, pull your panties up. This team is bad but don't start whining about parents and limited budgets. You're not even thinking. Connolly-yes, Rivet-maybe but not Stafford (he said he was going to work harder and elevate his game this year and he has.) And certainly not Gaustad, what do you even base that on? He does what he's supposed to do, play tough and win face offs. Have you even looked at his pct? 65.9%, top in the league. I've followed this team for over 30 years and am thoroughly disappointed but criticisms have to have merit.

Agreed. These guys are bums and i would go as far to say Patrick Kaleta isn't too far down on that list of getting let go, as long as they find another cheap replacement, someone similar to Cody McCormick. I think Drew Stafford would be the toughest to trade away, so i think it may just be easier to keep him around. Rivet and Connolly are UFA at the end of the year, so i would assume there would be interest in both of them from teams in the playoff hunt. And if Goose keeps his faceoff % up, he may gain interest too.

Second part, i don't agree with. I would love to get Jerome Iginla in here. I would offer young players like Enroth and Adam, also a 1st round pick, and current players like Connolly or Stafford to get him. But, i would send Vanek or Ennis. Iggy isn't get any younger. Vanek and Ennis have their entire careers still ahead of them.

Holy Cow, pull your panties up. This team is bad but don't start whining about parents and limited budgets. You're not even thinking. Connolly-yes, Rivet-maybe but not Stafford (he said he was going to work harder and elevate his game this year and he has.) And certainly not Gaustad, what do you even base that on? He does what he's supposed to do, play tough and win face offs. Have you even looked at his pct? 65.9%, top in the league. I've followed this team for over 30 years and am thoroughly disappointed but criticisms have to have merit.

Hmmm... I'll buy the bolded part, but if you don't think Stafford or Goose is a big part of the problem, perhaps you'd like to share your opinion as to why we aren't playing well??

That would be great, if he was being paid half his current salary.

Considering his contract, I expect a damn sight more from him.

And I don't think he plays "tough", he just plays marignally tougher than the rest of this sackless roster.

If anyone wants him at his current contract, I'll freakin' drive him to the airport. Hell, I'll drive him to his new city.

The disappointing seasons usually were 1st round playoff losses.

The disappointing seasons usually were 1st round playoff losses.

...during an era where 4/5 of the league made the playoffs.

There were some really lousy Sabres teams in the 80's. They made the playoffs most years because the top 4 teams in each division all made the playoffs. 10 years of 1st round losses was very telling. Other than the post-lockout season, the latest 10 years of Sabres hockey smells an awful lot like the Sabres teams of the 80's.

You have to be kidding me....Gaustad is getting paid what he is to win faceoffs!? He is a shell of what is expected of him out there. I have not noticed him ONCE this year.

You have to be kidding me....Gaustad is getting paid what he is to win faceoffs!? He is a shell of what is expected of him out there. I have not noticed him ONCE this year.

Look, I'm not going to start defending this team. I'm sickened. But realistically, Gaustad's role is not a scorer. I think your perception is clouded with frustration as maybe all of ours' is. He wins a lot of key face offs, he has 26 hits which is 4 less than Phaneuf and Byfuglien. And he's a +1 as a 3/4th line center on a horrible team. What I'm saying here is he is not the problem and on a better team, he'd be better. Nobody and I mean nobody looks like they have any passion or heart and that is a deep problem that lies beyond any one player. I have defended Lindy far longer than most but I just don't know anymore. What players I am unimpressed by is T.C. (which could stand for Turnover Constantly), Vanek, Neidermeyer, Morrisonn, and Hecht just to name a sampling.

I agree with everything you're saying but unfortunately doubt any of it is going to happen. I see at most a marginal trade or two (no one is going to take problems like Connolly off our hands). Only bright spot for me this year is that I skipped getting Center Ice!