Don't forget to vote!

nfreeman

I would like to hear a why we need politicians at all? They do nothing and cost a great deal of money. Much like the Sabres "core." It's 2010 going into 2011. With the technology we have today all laws and bills and spending plans should go to a vote of the people. It is clear that politicians no longer represent the people they trick into voting for them.

I understand we do need leadership of some sort. Instead of voting for a president lets hire a CEO. Once his approval rating hits a certain level he gets fired. And the people hire another CEO. If it's stays high he stays on the job until he retires. It's ridiculous to continue running on a political model that is 200+ years old. It's a new world, a world the smartest men of the 1700's could never imagine.

I should stop now before the CIA drops Hank from a helicopter into my yard.

I would like to hear a why we need politicians at all? They do nothing and cost a great deal of money. Much like the Sabres "core." It's 2010 going into 2011. With the technology we have today all laws and bills and spending plans should go to a vote of the people. It is clear that politicians no longer represent the people they trick into voting for them.

I understand we do need leadership of some sort. Instead of voting for a president lets hire a CEO. Once his approval rating hits a certain level he gets fired. And the people hire another CEO. If it's stays high he stays on the job until he retires. It's ridiculous to continue running on a political model that is 200+ years old. It's a new world, a world the smartest men of the 1700's could never imagine.

I should stop now before the CIA drops Hank from a helicopter into my yard.

Oh Lord!

No, its not 200 years old, two hundred years ago almost all voters were property holding white males. What you are advocating is democracy on steroids. So, if any leader takes any position that is unpopular with the ignorant mob--or the money power that stirs up the mob--we take him out? Are you serious? Screw that

Yes really, why? Why is it so important for everyone? The Founding Fathers didn't think it was

And don't get pissed, I'm just asking

I'm not PO'd. I think everyone should vote for the same reason I think everyone should pay taxes -- so that everyone has a stake in the decisions made by the government.

Oh Lord!

No, its not 200 years old, two hundred years ago almost all voters were property holding white males. What you are advocating is democracy on steroids. So, if any leader takes any position that is unpopular with the ignorant mob--or the money power that stirs up the mob--we take him out? Are you serious? Screw that

Do you have a better solution? The system we have now is obviously not working.

It isn't? We just had a peaceful transfer of power in the House. That's fine. No system is going to make the sun shine out our butt holes.

It's a system controlled by special interest groups. Votes are cast based on anger and fear not a sense for the greater good. It is outdated and ineffective.

I saw a great quote today, "Anger is not a governing strategy or a substitute for a serious plan."

I was happy to hear some Republican leaders talk about humility and second chances last night. Because that party didn't do a damned thing to earn back the House and make big gains in the Senate. Nothing.

I was unhappy to hear two of the leaders refuse to answer a simple question: since you won't raise taxes, and you're running on cutting spending, where will you cut spending, specifically. Again, nothing.

Boehner's breakdown was the payoff for a long night of watching the coverage. I was hoping, er, thinking the man was having a stroke.

If you are talking income taxes, no. Between the elderly and the poor almost 47% of Americans have no federal income tax liability.

I'm not. nfreeman wrote "taxes." The poor are not unburdened with taxes, though the right wants to give that impression.

Would you tax grandma's SS check?

I'm not. nfreeman wrote "taxes." The poor are not unburdened with taxes, though the right wants to give that impression.

Would you tax grandma's SS check?

It depends. Is Grandma sitting on a $4 Mil estate or is she eating cat food and living on the east side of Buffalo? ;)

And switch to a narrower brush. Not all of them think the poor are unburdened with taxes. They may question the correctness of the distribution though.

Based on the results from last night across this state I believe that Larry Quinn is actually running NYS. And my God fellow Cheektowagans, Dennis Delano! Really? Doomed.

I was happy to hear some Republican leaders talk about humility and second chances last night. Because that party didn't do a damned thing to earn back the House and make big gains in the Senate. Nothing.

I was unhappy to hear two of the leaders refuse to answer a simple question: since you won't raise taxes, and you're running on cutting spending, where will you cut spending, specifically. Again, nothing.

Boehner's breakdown was the payoff for a long night of watching the coverage. I was hoping, er, thinking the man was having a stroke.

I agree that this election was much more a repudiation of the current administration than it was a vote for the Republicans.

What a lovely sentiment regarding Boehner. Do you think he wishes the same on those who disagree with his political views?

As for cutting spending, Boehner and the rest of the Republicans have been pretty clear that the top priority is repeal of Obamacare.

You are technically right that my statement should have specified income taxes, although I think my meaning was pretty clear.

It depends. Is Grandma sitting on a $4 Mil estate or is she eating cat food and living on the east side of Buffalo? ;)

And switch to a narrower brush. Not all of them think the poor are unburdened with taxes. They may question the correctness of the distribution though.

The poor pay no income tax but make peanuts. Some pay no income tax even though they make enough but get credits for buying a house, hybrid car etc. These are one time tax breaks.

Tell me what politician on a the federal level has ever been able to cut taxes and reduce spending or even come close to balancing a budget.

You are technically right that my statement should have specified income taxes, although I think my meaning was pretty clear.

I think that the rebates and handouts and giveaways and returns that were never earned and incentives and stimulus money are many, many, many times more than the measly amount of sales tax they pay.

I think that the rebates and handouts and giveaways and returns that were never earned and incentives and stimulus money are many, many, many times more than the measly amount of sales tax they pay.

It is, thats how the system is set up. Earn more pay more. Tax rates here are very low comparred to other parts of the world currently and historically compared our past. The Golden age of the US which some say was the 1950s saw tax rates approaching 90%, coinciding with growth in the average US household wealth.

It is, thats how the system is set up. Earn more pay more. Tax rates here are very low comparred to other parts of the world currently and historically compared our past. The Golden age of the US which some say was the 1950s saw tax rates approaching 90%, coinciding with growth in the average US household wealth.

No, that is not how the system has been set up - that is how the system has been perverted over the last 50 years.

Every day we have more and more people climbing on the wagon, and less and less people pulling it. The wagon is grinding to a halt.

No, that is not how the system has been set up - that is how the system has been perverted over the last 50 years.

Every day we have more and more people climbing on the wagon, and less and less people pulling it. The wagon is grinding to a halt.

How was the system set up then ? The percentage of Americans on welfare was near an all time low before the recession in during the tax cuts years of 2007-2008.

There was more than 10 years of govt assistance decline as a percentage prior to the recession.

Not sure where you get your information

How was the system set up then ? The percentage of Americans on welfare was near an all time low before the recession in during the tax cuts years of 2007-2008.

There was more than 10 years of govt assistance decline as a percentage prior to the recession.

Not sure where you get your information

Welfare is only a small piece of the puzzle - don't forget about SSI, SSD, worker's comp and unemployment. Oh, and there is also Heap and Wic, and food stamps and medicaid and medicare and anyone of a dozen other Gov't programs. Lets not forget about all the semi private aid organizations (including ACORN) funded by taxpayer dollars. The use and abuse of these alternatives to working for a living only continues to grow. And don't forget about the voluntarily marginally employed who live and work under the table, contributing nothing, but usually receiving one of the above benefits.

Your statistics on welfare are national; what do they look like for the great state of NY? And don't give me your percentage decrease over the last 10 years during one of the greatest periods of growth with almost no inflation - what is it dollar for dollar over that time frame?

Statistics are not information. And where exactly are you getting your statistics? Look around, and don't ignore what your eyes see. How many baby mamas are hanging on porches all day while their kids get free breakfast and lunch any day they actually bother to show up for school. Our tax dollars have funded a generation that doesn't care to work, and doesn't have to. Our government wastes more money than most other countries have. I'm getting tired of pulling on this wagon all by myself.

Welfare is only a small piece of the puzzle - don't forget about SSI, SSD, worker's comp and unemployment. Oh, and there is also Heap and Wic, and food stamps and medicaid and medicare and anyone of a dozen other Gov't programs. Lets not forget about all the semi private aid organizations (including ACORN) funded by taxpayer dollars. The use and abuse of these alternatives to working for a living only continues to grow. And don't forget about the voluntarily marginally employed who live and work under the table, contributing nothing, but usually receiving one of the above benefits.

Your statistics on welfare are national; what do they look like for the great state of NY? And don't give me your percentage decrease over the last 10 years during one of the greatest periods of growth with almost no inflation - what is it dollar for dollar over that time frame?

Statistics are not information. And where exactly are you getting your statistics? Look around, and don't ignore what your eyes see. How many baby mamas are hanging on porches all day while there kids get free breakfast and lunch any day they actually bother to show up for school. Our tax dollars have funded a generation that doesn't care to work, and doesn't have to. Our government wastes more money than most other countries have. I'm getting tired of pulling on this wagon all by myself

:wallbash:

Archived