GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

spndnchz

Thank God. That was fun to watch, eh? When else can u go from 14th to 11th in one game?

The boys are going to get their act together tonight. Miller will be sharp.

Time to start the turnaround.

Sabres, 3-1.

Pretty close!

I can't believe both Rick and Harry didn't see Vanek tip that puck.

Had it been called a good goal on the ice, I don't think it would have been taken back.

Slowed down the DVR for that one. Def. hit Vanek's stick high. I'll excuse Harry for seeing it different, he's not in the video truck.

Anybody know would have happened to the double minor if Hecht's goal was good?

Double minors are two separate penalties. If it's a delayed double minor and the team scores, one minor is gone, leaving a 2 minute penalty. Same goes for a goal during the first 2 minutes of a double minor.

Vancouver? Are you sure? This seems to say they had 3 playoff WINS (not series wins -- that was zero -- but games won) in their 1st 11 years, but they still made the playoffs in 5 of those seasons. Am I missing something?

Also, the tickets were a heckuva lot cheaper in the 1970s than they are now.

Also, Ottawa, which made the playoffs last year, is having a hard time selling tickets this year.

I guess I think good hockey is such a good spectator sport that it really can work just about anywhere -- but it has to be good hockey. I will certainly admit that good hockey will work better in some markets than others, but I think Dallas, Tampa, etc. show that it will work well in the sun belt if the product is good.

I meant wins and incorrectly wrote games. Vancouver was not a successful team until 1982. I think geography has more to do with Atlanta's failure to attract fans than does the team's lack of success. Put that team in a hockey city, and it will succeed.

So sorry to hear about Ottawa...

Good win last night. Although the scoreboard read 4-1, IMO that game could of ended 7 or 8 - 1. They absolutely dominated from beginning to end. If I had a critisim it would be that again there were many chances that were not being burried. We have 'depth' scoring, but other than Vanek there's no one really who can be counted on to score with any consistancy. Speaking of Vanek, did anyone catch the quick look to the heavens after he scored? Great to see!

Ennis had the least amount of playing time, just over 10 minutes, last night, but he still delivered with an early goal. I was some what surprised by the small amount of playing time. The guy has rarely gone scoreless as a Sabre. I know he's young, he needs more NHL experience, and the Sabres needed, and still may, a major change in the lineup. It'll be interesting what Ruff does on Friday. Ennis is a key player for the Sabres, in my opinion.

Don't be surprised by the playing time. Ennis is a young, offensively gifted player, and Lindy has no idea what to do with him.

I meant wins and incorrectly wrote games. Vancouver was not a successful team until 1982. I think geography has more to do with Atlanta's failure to attract fans than does the team's lack of success. Put that team in a hockey city, and it will succeed.

So sorry to hear about Ottawa...

Atlanta's biggest issue is the location of their sporting venues. Both the Thrashers & Braves draw well on weekends, but the casual fan doesn't want to deal with downtown/midtown traffic nightmare to get there for a 7:08 start. Couple that with a less than mediocre team for a decade..........The ECHL team up in the northern burbs does extremely well. They should have built the arena in Marrietta or Dunwoody.

Butler was STOUT night. Breaking up odd man rushes, saved a possible goal and played with physicality.

Only disappointing moment for me was nobody called Eager on his d@#$ move...he wound up on Miller when he got the double minor, clearly knowing the play was dead as soon as he touched the puck. Not against the rules, but still a d@#$ move.

Ennis had the least amount of playing time, just over 10 minutes, last night, but he still delivered with an early goal. I was some what surprised by the small amount of playing time. The guy has rarely gone scoreless as a Sabre. I know he's young, he needs more NHL experience, and the Sabres needed, and still may, a major change in the lineup. It'll be interesting what Ruff does on Friday. Ennis is a key player for the Sabres, in my opinion.

Taking him off the power-play (where he has been bad) accounts for the difference in minutes. That, and he's not the guy to backcheck with a lead.

While he has been great 5x5. He has been outthinking himself on the PP. He'll be back on it - but giving him a rest from it makes sense.

Oh most definitely. I think Lindy has gone so far told him not to score. He'll probably be doing suicides today for having the nerve to score.

Lindy: Vanny, I need you to curb that charasmatic personality of yours.

Vanny: But Lindy, I am naturally full of lebensfreude and charm.

Lindy: This is for the team, Vanny.

Vanny: Okay, Lindy. From now on, only goals in moderation with little fist pumps.

Lindy: That's all I ask, Vanny. That's all I ask.

Thanks. I did look at that, I wasn't sure about the second minor. But that stands to reason. Just like scoring on a delayed double minor.

I tell ya -- this would be tough to stomach. But in reading the rules on retroactive awarding of goals, there's a nightmare scenario. I think shradzie and I discussed this last year.

Game 7 of the final, HSBC Arena. Overtime. (It might help to read this post in the voice of Howard Cosell.) Right there! The little monkey, Datsyuk, uses a distinct... kicking... motion to send the puck an inch over the goal line. And it's out as fast as it went in. But the ref doesn't see it. Play goes on. Moments later, the Sabres score. THE BUFFALO SABRES WIN THE STANLEY CUP! Rick Jeanneret's 8cm AAA bursts. People pass out.

They don't win the Cup. On review, the moment that puck crossed the goal line at the other end, the whistle should have gone, goal or no goal. The Sabres' goal is taken off the board and the faceoff is at the other end, the clock reset to the time when the puck was kicked in.

Eye, yi, yi, that would stink.

I tell ya -- this would be tough to stomach. But in reading the rules on retroactive awarding of goals, there's a nightmare scenario. I think shradzie and I discussed this last year.

Game 7 of the final, HSBC Arena. Overtime. (It might help to read this post in the voice of Howard Cosell.) Right there! The little monkey, Datsyuk, uses a distinct... kicking... motion to send the puck an inch over the goal line. And it's out as fast as it went in. But the ref doesn't see it. Play goes on. Moments later, the Sabres score. THE BUFFALO SABRES WIN THE STANLEY CUP! Rick Jeanneret's 8cm AAA bursts. People pass out.

They don't win the Cup. On review, the moment that puck crossed the goal line at the other end, the whistle should have gone, goal or no goal. The Sabres' goal is taken off the board and the faceoff is at the other end, the clock reset to the time when the puck was kicked in.

Eye, yi, yi, that would stink.

It's nowhere near that level, but they had an interesting one in the NCAA tourney a couple years back. I think it was Vermont vs. Air Force. Vermont put a puck thruogh the netting in OT, but no one noticed it. Play then went on for something like 7 minutes. Then they had a lenghty review and no one in the building had a clue what was going on. Suddenly, the game was over.

Don't be surprised by the playing time. Ennis is a young, offensively gifted player, and Lindy has no idea what to do with him.

But there was no reaction.

You don't think Lindy has sucked all the life out of him?

Kinda hard to reconcile this "perspective" with the fact that since the lockout the Sabres have been top 5 in scoring 3 times and were #9 last year.

i was at a bar/grill with my lady friend for a late dinner, and was catching bits and pieces of the game, but i saw stafford make several strong plays. maybe there's hope yet for a contract year performance.

Since you and 11 mentioned it, I've noticed a few indications of a less-than-stellar hockey IQ from Stafford, but that was a really nice pass.

Taking him off the power-play (where he has been bad) accounts for the difference in minutes. That, and he's not the guy to backcheck with a lead.

While he has been great 5x5. He has been outthinking himself on the PP. He'll be back on it - but giving him a rest from it makes sense.

Good call. It looks like Ennis had only 1 PP shift last night, while Gerbe had 5.

Ok PASabreFan we get it. You don't like Lindy and think he should be fired. But do you have to post take 34309204 shots at Lindy everyday??

Ok PASabreFan we get it. You don't like Lindy and think he should be fired. But do you have to post take 34309204 shots at Lindy everyday??

I'd be very worried about him if he didn't.

Anyway, nothing to complain about from that game. Now they need to keep playing like that.

dude's austrian and knows dern well he should have 3 or 4 by now. the fact that he was all business is of no concern or moment.

Lindy: Vanny, I need you to curb that charasmatic personality of yours.

Vanny: But Lindy, I am naturally full of lebensfreude and charm.

Lindy: This is for the team, Vanny.

Vanny: Okay, Lindy. From now on, only goals in moderation with little fist pumps.

Lindy: That's all I ask, Vanny. That's all I ask.

i'm so glad you're back, X.

Since you and 11 mentioned it, I've noticed a few indications of a less-than-stellar hockey IQ from Stafford, but that was a really nice pass.

the lack of apparent IQ could be a function of a lack of focus and intensity.

it was in the third, i think, that he galloped into the thrashers' zone and went hard to the net -- he looked like a poor man's (and i mean destitute) ovechkin on that play.

it was in the third, i think, that he galloped into the thrashers' zone and went hard to the net -- he looked like a poor man's (and i mean destitute) ovechkin on that play.

I've noticed him taking it hard to the rack quite a bit this year -- it seems like it's his bread-and-butter move. It also seems like a move that's been facilitated by coming into camp in better shape -- hello, contract year.

I think we could see 23-26 goals and 45-50 points from him this year.

What did you make of Vanek's non-celebration?

I think you may be onto something, but more damning was Ennis' lack of celebration. Young kid, first goal of the season, no reaction? Lindy, what have you done?!!

:rolleyes: