Sophomore Slump?

Bob Goulet

probably still to early to judge but so far Myers has not lived up to the hype after such a tremendous rookie season...lots of turn overs, poor skating, not carrying the puck through the zone like he did last year. Thats my opinion, your thoughts...

If you caught the post game, Roby provided a great explanation for Myers' struggles. Teams have figured out that aggressive forechecking is how you stuff Myers. And since our offense has made a habit of leaving him to fend for himself he doesn't have time to move the puck.

Basically the poor kid can't do it all by himself. He'll get that game back.

If you caught the post game, Roby provided a great explanation for Myers' struggles. Teams have figured out that aggressive forechecking is how you stuff Myers. And since our offense has made a habit of leaving him to fend for himself he doesn't have time to move the puck.

Basically the poor kid can't do it all by himself. He'll get that game back.

Exactly.

Now Ruff needs to find a way to get around this and get Myers back into the o-game.

that ugly, scary thought that no one wants to think - is Myers really as good as we thought he was? is his sophomore season really the right time to put him on the first D-pairing?

He has the physical abilities. That's without saying. I think this is a product of the team looking like crap so a lot of guys look like crap.

I don't think it's just Myers' fault. Although he has had a rough go this year so far. Not unusual and he's barely out of his teens. Cut the kid some slack. He'll get straightened out eventually. I have no worries about Myers becoming a dominant NHL d-man. He just has to adjust to being targeted as our No. 1 d-man by other teams. Also, if you hadn't noticed the rest of the d is also just brutal. The whole d corps has yet to find their game. Miller and Lalime are just being left out on the line waiting to become jerky. Sekera and Rivet are especially brutal the last two games. Monty was pretty good though last game. I think it will take them time to gel with so many new faces in the starting line up. 2 is alot when there are only 6 d per game.

There is probably more than one reason Mr. Myers isn't replicating last season's magic at this point.

I would say personnel changes, league exposure, poor all-around play by his team, and increased pressure from his new role as #1 D-man are legit probabilities.

One factor that hasn't been brought up here is his increase in weight/muscle mass.

Myers is noticeably larger now than he was last spring. Just look at his neck now compared to last season.

Ask a hockey player who has ever gained/lost a lot of weight in a relatively short period, and they probably will tell you that there is an adjustment period. One thing that is often compromised when weight is put on is agility.

Could this be part of the big soph's problem?

Well Buffaninatl , Core-corps does anyone really care? I stand corrected but really did'nt join this board to be admonished by miss manners. Actually the way these guys are playing I prefer corpse.

Well, if the topic should ever come up in the future, Miss Manners focuses on etiquette and courtesy, not grammar or inadequate command of the English language. And it's didn't, not did'nt.

Darcy,How does letting Tallinder and Ludman go look now? Do you think Tyler would be playing better with his old partner? They have been forechecking him in the d zone for four games now. Should it take four games to make an adjustment?

i didn't catch the post-game, but hamilton made a similar point this morning. a lot of rookie phenoms run into problems in year 2 (especially early on) because the rest of the league will have figured out how best to attack you (hamilton dropped the examples of carter and richards in philly - both of whom took "steps back" in years 2). it looks like myers is destined for some growing pains. i'm not worried about it. if anything, this may help us sign him at a more reasonable rate.

So, whose idea was it for Myers to bulk up his body in a matter of weeks instead of letting nature take its time?

Tyler went from 14 to 34 in a summer. And his skin seemed to go south on him too. Interesting.

you're implying, or at least i'm inferring, that someone's been pushing pharmaceuticals on the kid? <_<

Myers is not super human and his struggles early on don't surprise me a bit. Are the magnified by everyone, sure? I still think he's the best player on the team and don't think his troubles will last long.

The kid works hard and will only get better because of this.

He worked hard on getting stronger this summer as we spoke a few times about his training. He had his own personal trainer with him from Calgary and worked out with him at a different gym than the other NHL'ers who are here in the summer working out at the CNC (Shea Weber, Iginla, to name a few) It may take him some time to get used to his newer frame.

I think it's a matter of staying with it. He was dynamite against Ottawa and in game 2 cruising along nicely until a puck went in off his skate and then he wiped out behind the net and there were no forwards deep enough to help out. From there on the team wasn't playing well and his problems were magnified.

I'll tell you what. It's better to have him sort out his problems early on and if he can and the teams plays like they did on Sat night, then all will be well.

Tyler Myers is the least of my concerns on the Sabres. There are way bigger problems to fix than him (even though he is 6'8")

i didn't catch the post-game, but hamilton made a similar point this morning. a lot of rookie phenoms run into problems in year 2 (especially early on) because the rest of the league will have figured out how best to attack you (hamilton dropped the examples of carter and richards in philly - both of whom took "steps back" in years 2). it looks like myers is destined for some growing pains. i'm not worried about it. if anything, this may help us sign him at a more reasonable rate.

Oh no you di'n't.

you're implying, or at least i'm inferring, that someone's been pushing pharmaceuticals on the kid? <_<

Did I imply? I didn't imply. Who said I implied? Who told you to put the balm on?

You have to admit, the transformation is pretty incredible. And, is it me, or is this kid's personality strikingly different? Innocence lost, I guess. He just looks like he's in a daze.

Tyler Myers is the least of my concerns on the Sabres. There are way bigger problems to fix than him (even though he is 6'8")

great post - even had a rim shot at the end.

Oh no you di'n't.

i so did, didn't i?

Did I imply? I didn't imply. Who said I implied? Who told you to put the balm on?

You have to admit, the transformation is pretty incredible. And, is it me, or is this kid's personality strikingly different? Innocence lost, I guess. He just looks like he's in a daze.

sad to say, i just haven't been taking in enough media to offer an opinion.

/opens new tabs for google images and sabres.com.

Archived