Forward and Defense lines from today's practice

TheMadCap

Got this on another Sabres site. What do you guys think of these lines?

Tyler Ennis-Derek Roy-Drew Stafford

Jochen Hecht-Tim Connolly-Thomas Vanek

Paul Gaustad-Rob Niedermayer-Mike Grier

Nathan Gerbe-Cody McCormick-Patrick Kaleta

Jordan Leopold-Tyler Myers

Andrej Sekera-Craig Rivet

Chris Butler-Steve Montador

Personally, I would have liked to see Weber instead of Butler. It doesn't make much sense to me to have the guy on the team and never play him. Maybe we'll see him if Butler struggles.

Also, is there a good reason why Vanek is not skating with Roy and Ennis? For that matter, I would put Gerbe in place of Hecht on the second line, and bump Hecht down to 3rd line and Gaustad down to 4th. Gerbe on the 4th line makes NO sense at all to me, he doesn't have a chance scoring on that line...

Also, is there a good reason why Vanek is not skating with Roy and Ennis? For that matter, I would put Gerbe in place of Hecht on the second line, and bump Hecht down to 3rd line and Gaustad down to 4th. Gerbe on the 4th line makes NO sense at all to me, he doesn't have a chance scoring on that line...

This has got to be the greatest idea ever ^^^^

That would give the Sabres 2 scoring lines a checking line, and a banger line how LINDY and company don't get this amazes me????

You don't think he looks better this year?

I think he looks better when he has the puck than he did last year. Unfortunately, I've seen the three losses in person, and there's a different perspective when not limited by the TV camera. I've seen him without the puck enough times, and he looks just as bad without it as he always did. He does little to get open, nothing to steal a puck away from an opponent, nothing to get back to his own end quickly, and nothing to stand up for himself when checked. He's a zero without the puck, and a 3 (out of 10) with it.

I think he looks better when he has the puck than he did last year. Unfortunately, I've seen the three losses in person, and there's a different perspective when not limited by the TV camera. I've seen him without the puck enough times, and he looks just as bad without it as he always did. He does little to get open, nothing to steal a puck away from an opponent, nothing to get back to his own end quickly, and nothing to stand up for himself when checked. He's a zero without the puck, and a 3 (out of 10) with it.

No. Exactly the same.

That's my perspective having watched the games on tv. I have yet to see any "contract push" from this "uber talented" winger.

Wow. Looks like I'm in the minority here. Still, I think he looks substantially better than last year (of course, that baseline is pretty GD low). I will certainly admit that I haven't had the benefit of watching him live, so I can't speak as to his play away from the puck. Also, perhaps it's simply that he has stunk much less than TC and Vanek.

Wow. Looks like I'm in the minority here. Still, I think he looks substantially better than last year (of course, that baseline is pretty GD low). I will certainly admit that I haven't had the benefit of watching him live, so I can't speak as to his play away from the puck. Also, perhaps it's simply that he has stunk much less than TC and Vanek.

No, you're not the only one who thinks he looks better. He's definitely playing harder than I can recall him ever having done, and it has generated some of the elusive offensive chances he hasn't made for himself in years past.

He needs to put the puck in the net though. Until he does that, he's just Max with some tattoos.

Got this on another Sabres site. What do you guys think of these lines?

Jordan Leopold-Tyler Myers

Andrej Sekera-Craig Rivet

Chris Butler-Steve Montador

i quite liked ennis and roy together. a smallish line, yeah - but they looked dangerous in the second and third against the devils.

while i know it won't happen absent injury, we should sooner see weber in for rivet than for butler or sekera. rivet had said in august that this may be his last year. i love the guy's heart, but it doesn't seem like he's capable of making it that far without being a complete liability.

I think that Stafford still is in the lineup, so I disapprove.
You don't think he looks better this year?
Wow. Looks like I'm in the minority here.
No, you're not the only one who thinks he looks better. He's definitely playing harder than I can recall him ever having done, and it has generated some of the elusive offensive chances he hasn't made for himself in years past.

glad to see the stafford talk. and i appreciate eleven articulating what i could not when i posted this in the last GDT:

"what struck me as i watched my first full game of the season this year was how apparently lacking in "hockey IQ" he is. it's not that he's floating, or not skating, or not trying (although he is the king of taking the puck wide, around the net), it's more so that he is consistently not where he needs to be in order to make a play. he seems to have no knack whatsoever for being in a spot that will help the play in the offensive zone."

I'd like to see Connolly and Niedermayer swapped at the very least. They have to get Vanek away from Connolly. Maybe put Gerbe on the line with Vanek also.

Archived