The Regular Season Is Nigh Upon Us

That Aud Smell

Not true. The max roster is 23. 13 forwards, 8 D, and the 2 goalies would cover that. The team usually likes to carry one short of the limit though, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if one guy is sent down, even if it's a very temporary move. My guess is that Gerbe is sent down on Thursday but is quickly called back in the next day or two.

They did it with both Paile and MacArthur in previous years, leaving the team with 12 forwards, only to call them back immediately. The only explanation I can think of is that it was tied into a LTIR situation with someone like Connolly (a team needs to be under the cap and under the roster limit before they can actually place someone on LTIR). That doesn't apply here at all, but it still wouldn't surprise me at all.

Yeah it is kind of curious analyzing it today with looking back at past practice. As I recall they are also on record of not wanting to let players sit w/o playing because it benefits the players to be ready/stay sharp getting regular ice time. This years talk to keep 8 d-man and the extra forward carrying the maximum 23 does seem a bit of character for this organization.

Yeah it is kind of curious analyzing it today with looking back at past practice. As I recall they are also on record of not wanting to let players sit w/o playing because it benefits the players to be ready/stay sharp getting regular ice time. This years talk to keep 8 d-man and the extra forward carrying the maximum 23 does seem a bit of character for this organization.

They carried 23 last year, but then again, that 19 year old defenseman had a lot to do with it.

Yeah but let's not forget they may have also tried to waive bye to Mair.

That's the other thing. Injuries always play a major role in these decisions too. Right now they look to be in good shape in that department and hopefully that continues to be the case.

Not true. The max roster is 23. 13 forwards, 8 D, and the 2 goalies would cover that. The team usually likes to carry one short of the limit though, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if one guy is sent down, even if it's a very temporary move. My guess is that Gerbe is sent down on Thursday but is quickly called back in the next day or two.

Thank you for the correction. It will be interesting to see who makes the final roster. Although as someone pointed out it doesn't look like Gerbe is practising so that could be the answer. Good to hear that Vanek is back on the ice.

Forget all these roster questions. What I want to know is if Ennis changes his number or not.

nice.

and, with apologies, this from ruff via harrington:

The coach also said the team will keep 23 players at least in the short term, rather than the 22 GM Darcy Regier talked about over the summer.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

so, with ellis waived, the team can carry its 8 d-men and 2 goalies (because adding ennis, gerbe, mccormick, and kaleta to the 9 whose spots were assured (tv-dr-ds; jh-tc-jp; goose, neidermayer, grier) = 13 forwards).

nice.

and, with apologies, this from ruff via harrington:

The coach also said the team will keep 23 players at least in the short term, rather than the 22 GM Darcy Regier talked about over the summer.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

so, with ellis waived, the team can carry its 8 d-men and 2 goalies (because adding ennis, gerbe, mccormick, and kaleta to the 9 whose spots were assured (tv-dr-ds; jh-tc-jp; goose, neidermayer, grier) = 13 forwards).

I wonder how long it will last. I know chz posted that Rivet has been cleared to play, but I wonder where his conditioning is since he hasn't played yet. I'm still expecting a Paille like trade after a couple weeks.

What is this non-sense I hear?

Ennis > Gerbe easily.

Agreed, but they both need to be in the lineup to start. As everybody keeps reporting (including Ruff), Gerbe has been great on the PP and Ennis can flat out bury the puck. We needed more toughness and more [timely] scoring last year. We've addressed the toughness (final judgment reserved), so let's not sabotage the scoring. Before today, and based on Ruff's comments, I'd have bet McCormick or Kaleta would be the final scratch.

FWIW, in practice today, Weber is the 6th defenseman (paired with Rivet), and Harrington is predicting that Gerbe plays on Friday and McCormick is healthy-scratched.

From the outside looking in, that would've been my bet as well. Ennis is a no-brainer, and to me, Gerbe has earned the shot, especially if he's adding to the PP as reported. Same with Weber, who's earned a shot. Give 'em time, and if they can't hack it after a month or so, they got their chance.

Archived