The Regular Season Is Nigh Upon Us

That Aud Smell

I looked on our first page, and didn't see a topic that fit, and since I was looking for a centralized thread for the issue this morning, I thought I'd just start one.

As I said in the Kassian thread, what got me going on this subject was the question of whether Gerbe and Ennis are (or should be) an either/or proposition as we head toward the season opener.

Please feel free to share any other thoughts/summaries/insights on what who will be rostered, who will skate with whom, who will spend most nights in the press box, who will room with The Sausage on road trips, etc.

EDIT: I went and looked at the official roster on the team's page. As someone else had pointed out elsewhere, Weber's name doesn't appear and the team is already at 23 (which, I believe, is the permissible limit for roster size), with 14+7+2. The Weber thing is confusing. Also, did the team always carry 23 players last year?

I don't really care what the lines are; I just want to say that I think the team looks great this year and I'm as optimistic as I've been since '06. I like the changes that were made, I like the guys who stayed (generally), and I like having the best goalie in the world on my favorite team. The Sabres look deeper, tougher, more talented and more experienced than ever and I think they are really pissed off about last year's playoffs. They are the anti-Bills that we the fans all need and deserve.

So I just want to beat on my chest a little and say that I can't wait for Friday night. May we destroy the Sens and get this season going full tilt.

I looked on our first page, and didn't see a topic that fit, and since I was looking for a centralized thread for the issue this morning, I thought I'd just start one.

As I said in the Kassian thread, what got me going on this subject was the question of whether Gerbe and Ennis are (or should be) an either/or proposition as we head toward the season opener.

Please feel free to share any other thoughts/summaries/insights on what who will be rostered, who will skate with whom, who will spend most nights in the press box, who will room with The Sausage on road trips, etc.

EDIT: I went and looked at the official roster on the team's page. As someone else had pointed out elsewhere, Weber's name doesn't appear and the team is already at 23 (which, I believe, is the permissible limit for roster size), with 14+7+2. The Weber thing is confusing. Also, did the team always carry 23 players last year?

If I remember correctly, they're actually at 26 right now. I'll try this off of the top of my head.

Miller

Lalime

Enroth

Rivet

Myers

Morrisonn

Leopold

Butler

Sekera

Weber

Montador

Vanek

Roy

Stafford

Ennis

Connolly

Pominville

Hecht

Grier

Niedermayer

Kaleta

Gaustad

McCormick

Gerbe

Ellis

Ok, that's 25. If I forgot someone, I'm sure someone will fill in that blank quickly. Off of that list, they're obviously going to subtract a goalie in Enroth once Lalime's groin is ready to go (Lalime to IR, doesn't cost us a slot). Gerbe should take that last foward slot over Ellis. That leaves the team at 23. I really don't see them carrying 8 d-men all year again, but with Rivet's status up in the air right now, there probably won't be any rush to demote anyone.

I posted this in some other thread, but using the standard scoring 1/scoring 2/shutdown/energy lines I like these combos.

Vanek/Roy/Stafford

Ennis/Connolly/Pominville

Hecht/Niedermayer/Grier

McCormick/Gaustad/Kaleta

As for the defense it's really up in the air besides the Myers/Morrisonn combo. I'd like to see:

Myers/Morrisonn

Montador/Leopold

Rivet/Butler

Press box: Gerbe/Ellis/Sekera/Weber

I really like what Weber can be but he doesn't have the seniority or the consistency for a regular shift just yet. I'm fully expecting to see Gerbe and Weber in Portland for a good part of the season until injuries hit.

I'm very interested to see who the odd man out will be on offense (besides Ellis obviously). Gerbe and Stafford need to play. McCormick has played very well and Kaleta now seems healthy....

I think they're going to have a bit of flexibility in the forwards to throw out a skill lineup one night and a little more grind the next, depending on the matchup. I'm not sure who Gerbe shuffles in and out of the lineup with, but right now I'd say he's the most obvious one to be in and out of the lineup.

I don't really care what the lines are; I just want to say that I think the team looks great this year and I'm as optimistic as I've been since '06. I like the changes that were made, I like the guys who stayed (generally), and I like having the best goalie in the world on my favorite team. The Sabres look deeper, tougher, more talented and more experienced than ever and I think they are really pissed off about last year's playoffs. They are the anti-Bills that we the fans all need and deserve.

So I just want to beat on my chest a little and say that I can't wait for Friday night. May we destroy the Sens and get this season going full tilt.

Good man.

I really like what Weber can be but he doesn't have the seniority or the consistency for a regular shift just yet. I'm fully expecting to see Gerbe and Weber in Portland for a good part of the season until injuries hit.

Weber can't be sent down without clearing waivers, and I don't think they want to waive him.

Good man.

Weber can't be sent down without clearing waivers, and I don't think they want to waive him.

So, has Weber turned into Paetsch? Sitting lonely in the press box wishing someone takes a tumble?

With a the over cap issues I don't think anyone anywhere gets picked off waivers.

I posted this in some other thread, but using the standard scoring 1/scoring 2/shutdown/energy lines I like these combos.

Vanek/Roy/Stafford

Ennis/Connolly/Pominville

Hecht/Niedermayer/Grier

McCormick/Gaustad/Kaleta

As for the defense it's really up in the air besides the Myers/Morrisonn combo. I'd like to see:

Myers/Morrisonn

Montador/Leopold

Rivet/Butler

Press box: Gerbe/Ellis/Sekera/Weber

I think you've got the D pairings right as well as the #1 and #4 lines, but I think TC-Pommer-Hecht stay together as the #2 line (although based on ice time they will be the #1 line on many nights). I know that leaves Ennis somewhat out of place on Niedermayer's line, but I think Lindy likes the TC-Pommer-Hecht combo and we did see them together a fair amount in preseason. I also think it's quite possible that McCormick is healthy-scratched in favor of Gerbe, which leaves him, like Ennis, somewhat out of place on the #4 line. I think though that Gerbe added a lot on the PP in preseason and maybe played his way into the lineup.

I don't particularly like Butler's game but he seemed to play less badly than Sekera and Weber in preseason, so I expect he gets the #6 spot by default. It's certainly possible that Rivet begins the year as an injury scratch and that Weber or Sekera takes his spot at the start.

So, has Weber turned into Paetsch? Sitting lonely in the press box wishing someone takes a tumble?

With a the over cap issues I don't think anyone anywhere gets picked off waivers.

None of the Sabres who will be exposed to waivers have contracts that should cause anyone any trouble though. The one thing that always seems to get lost in the shuffle in these discussions though is that in order for a team to claim a guy, they have to be willing to give that guy a slot on their NHL roster right away. Not too many teams have the room for that, especially since they've been shaping their rosters already with guys who have been there since day 1.

You could very likely be right about waivers, but I think the Sabres have invested enough in Weber that they don't want to cut him loose, especially with Rivet's and Montador's contracts expiring after this year.

You could very likely be right about waivers, but I think the Sabres have invested enough in Weber that they don't want to cut him loose, especially with Rivet's and Montador's contracts expiring after this year.

Look at the pipeline of blueliners though. Obviously there are no guarantees there, but they have to feel pretty comfortable with where they could go with the position in the future. One guy's not going to change that (but of course, if they were to lose someone, they'd much rather get something in return).

Ellis has been send down to Portland.... but needs to clear waivers according to TSN

Place on waivers Monday:

Joel Perrault (VAN)

Liam Reddox (EDM)

Richard Petiot (EDM)

Ben Ondrus (EDM)

Ryan O'Marra (EDM)

Shawn Belle (EDM)

Cam Cunning (CGY)

Matt Pelech (CGY)

Johan Backlund (PHI)

Doug Janik (DET)

David Laliberte (PHI)

Joey MacDonald (DET)

Dylan Reese (NYI)

Jeremy Yablonski (NYI)

Danny Richmond (TOR)

Jay Rosehill (TOR)

Michael Zigomanis (TOR)

Rob Davison (NJ)

Dave Scatchard (STL)

Chris Porter (STL)

Mattias Ritola (DET)

Erik Ersberg (LA)

Rich Clune (LA)

Josh Green (ANA)

Ryan Carter (ANA)

Matt Ellis (BUF)

Patrick Rissmiller (ATL)

Link- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

Look at the pipeline of blueliners though. Obviously there are no guarantees there, but they have to feel pretty comfortable with where they could go with the position in the future. One guy's not going to change that (but of course, if they were to lose someone, they'd much rather get something in return).

I can't argue with this, but I think it's more likely that they decide to pay Weber an NHL salary than they expose him to waivers and send him down. But I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it went the other way.

How's that for a straddle?

I can't argue with this, but I think it's more likely that they decide to pay Weber an NHL salary than they expose him to waivers and send him down. But I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it went the other way.

How's that for a straddle?

Oooo Oooo pick me!

I'm not sure who Gerbe shuffles in and out of the lineup with, but right now I'd say he's the most obvious one to be in and out of the lineup.

interesting. i'd heard that he was a dervish on the preseason PP (below is an example of the sort of stuff i'd been hearing); that made me think that he'd dress/skate more than he didn't.

I think though that Gerbe added a lot on the PP in preseason and maybe played his way into the lineup.

I know that leaves Ennis somewhat out of place on Niedermayer's line, but I think Lindy likes the TC-Pommer-Hecht combo and we did see them together a fair amount in preseason.

hmmmm - also interesting. in some respects, i sorta like the idea of letting ennis just freelance on a third line with two defensive vets like neidermayer and grier. in other respects, i think that could be a waste of time. we'll see how it shakes out. besides, we're just one twisted knee away from needing ennis in the top 6 anyway.

Ellis has been send down to Portland.... but needs to clear waivers according to TSN

not a huge surprise, i guess.

I posted something related to this under the Kassian goes to the OHL thread (what a mess of a topic that became)...

So that leaves 13 Forwards, 8 D & 3 goalies on the roster. The official website is almost correct today - they haven't taken Ellis off yet and for whatever reason, Weber is still not listed (has he been waived too?). Enroth is also not on there?

sabres.com Roster

I haven't watched every minute of preseason but from what I've seen, I'd be surprised if Ennis starts over Gerbe. Ennis would also be the logical one to demote to Portland if he can't be claimed under the waiver rules (I think there's a good chance someone would take a chance on picking Gerbe up - he's got more offensive potential than a lot of what's heading there from other teams).

Weber must be feeling appreciated to not be on the official web site roster - especially as they had a bunch of prospects listed that many of us had never heard of until this training camp.

I haven't watched every minute of preseason but from what I've seen, I'd be surprised if Ennis starts over Gerbe. Ennis would also be the logical one to demote to Portland if he can't be claimed under the waiver rules (I think there's a good chance someone would take a chance on picking Gerbe up - he's got more offensive potential than a lot of what's heading there from other teams).

There are 4 waiver exempt players left on the roster: Gerbe, Ennis, Myers, and Enroth. That will not be an issue if they actually try to decide between the two smurfs.

There are 4 waiver exempt players left on the roster: Gerbe, Ennis, Myers, and Enroth. That will not be an issue if they actually try to decide between the two smurfs.

OK - thanks for the clarification. For some reason, I thought Gerbe was too old even though he hadn't met the number of games played threshold. Wouldn't the CBA be more useful if you could just make stuff up to fit your needs (I guess Lamoriello & Ilya my boy tried that & it didn't fly).

OK - thanks for the clarification. For some reason, I thought Gerbe was too old even though he hadn't met the number of games played threshold. Wouldn't the CBA be more useful if you could just make stuff up to fit your needs (I guess Lamoriello & Ilya my boy tried that & it didn't fly).

There's no games being played at all with Gerbe's status though (not sure why you threw that CBA shot in there). There are two criteria in Gerbe's situation, either games played or years of service. He hasn't hit either cutoff point, so he doesn't have be placed on waivers. These limits are set in stone, so no team is going to be able to sneak their way around this rule.

Archived