Kassian quote

Bob Goulet

“I don’t go looking for (fights),” Kassian said, “but if it comes my way, I’ll take care of it.”

Love the attitude, hope hes good enough to make the team this year

http://www.msg.com/blogs/bill-hoppe/kassian-delivers-in-preseason-opener-1.50329

It'd be nice to have him on the team but who is he realistically going to replace? The kid has virtually no shot of making the roster based solely on our surplus of forwards. Unless Lindy plans on playing him in our Top 6 and keeping Ennis in Portland, which is obviously not the case. So who comes out? McCormick, Ellis, Gaustad, Kaleta? Grier? Hecht? Neidermayer? There's simply no room on the third/fourth lines, and he certainly isn't going to play top line minutes with Vanek and Roy. Even carrying him as a healthy scratch (not that they would choose that route anyway over letting him develop in Portland) is out of the question if we're going to carry 8 defensemen for a while, along with one of Ellis/McCormick.

It'd be nice to have him on the team but who is he realistically going to replace? The kid has virtually no shot of making the roster based solely on our surplus of forwards. Unless Lindy plans on playing him in our Top 6 and keeping Ennis in Portland, which is obviously not the case. So who comes out? McCormick, Ellis, Gaustad, Kaleta? Grier? Hecht? Neidermayer? There's simply no room on the third/fourth lines, and he certainly isn't going to play top line minutes with Vanek and Roy. Even carrying him as a healthy scratch (not that they would choose that route anyway over letting him develop in Portland) is out of the question if we're going to carry 8 defensemen for a while, along with one of Ellis/McCormick.

While i don't know how slim Kass' chances are of making the team, i am not sure why you listed Ellis as a "who comes out" because I think Ellis has simply no chance of making this team and when they gave him a two way deal, i think even he knew what he was getting into. He'll play in Portland and if we come across a injury crisis later this season, he will be a pretty solid player to plug in for several games here and there.

I do agree with you, i don't think Kassian will make the team. Not only the surplus of forwards as you mentioned, but i think the Sabres don't just want him to be a rough and grit type player who plays on the fourth or third line his whole career. I think they see him as a 25+ goal guy who can rough it up and will bring force. He still has room to develop and i don't think they will want to rush him too quickly because if he plays at the NHL level, the time he has to develop quickly goes out the window and he will need to do whatever it takes for us to be successful, at at this rate, it's just being a Kaleta clone, with more offense. I think Ruff/Regier expect more out of him.

The way he played last night, was great, but, doubt many can play like that for 82 games. The wear and tear of his body would be unreal if he played even close to what he did last night for a number of games, let alone 82.

In no particular order:

Vanek

Roy

Stafford

Pominville

Connolly

Ennis

Hecht

Grier

Niedermayer

Kaleta

Gaustad

McCormick

There's your 12 forwards guaranteed to be on the team. Ellis is on a two-way deal, so he'll find himself down in Portland to start the year. Gerbe's still on his entry deal and doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down. That's it, the only two forwards he has to beat out for a spot with the Sabres. I don't think it's going to happen, but if he continues to show up, it's not going to be too difficult to make room for him. As for the 8 d-men thing, I just don't buy it. They're not going to let someone waste away like Paetsch did last year. There will be 7 when the season starts.

As for the original quote in this thread, he can say he's not out there looking for fights, but that doesn't mean it's true. That play last night with Komisarek? He was clearly looking for a fight. Those gloves flew off about as prematurely as that first encounter between inky and chz.

I don't think I would miss McCormick or Ellis if they don't play. Gaustad has been frustrating to watch lately but he is our only decent face-off guy. But I agree Kassian doesn't make it at the beginning of the season.

Personally I think Ellis will get a lot more time than you guys all seem to assume. He played most of last year with us and did fine, and honestly McCormick wouldn't even be in the discussion right now if not for Ellis getting hurt in the playoffs and allowing McCormick a few games with the Sabres.

AS for this....

In no particular order:

Vanek

Roy

Stafford

Pominville

Connolly

Ennis

Hecht

Grier

Niedermayer

Kaleta

Gaustad

McCormick

There's your 12 forwards guaranteed to be on the team. Ellis is on a two-way deal, so he'll find himself down in Portland to start the year. Gerbe's still on his entry deal and doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down. That's it, the only two forwards he has to beat out for a spot with the Sabres. I don't think it's going to happen, but if he continues to show up, it's not going to be too difficult to make room for him. As for the 8 d-men thing, I just don't buy it. They're not going to let someone waste away like Paetsch did last year. There will be 7 when the season starts.

As for the original quote in this thread, he can say he's not out there looking for fights, but that doesn't mean it's true. That play last night with Komisarek? He was clearly looking for a fight. Those gloves flew off about as prematurely as that first encounter between inky and chz.

... Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I said. He's obviously not going to beat out any our top 6 and earn a spot there, and there's simply no room on the third or fourth lines. Even if the team has injury troubles it will more than likely be Gerbe and Ellis coming up before a fresh-out-of-juniors tough guy like Kassian. And as for your thoughts on the dmen -- i know i originally brought it up -- it's a moot point. Even if the Sabres go with 6 or 7 d-men, obviously they aren't going to let Kassian sit in the press box half the season doing nothing. He will be in Portland. That is all.

Personally I think Ellis will get a lot more time than you guys all seem to assume. He played most of last year with us and did fine, and honestly McCormick wouldn't even be in the discussion right now if not for Ellis getting hurt in the playoffs and allowing McCormick a few games with the Sabres.

AS for this....

... Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I said. He's obviously not going to beat out any our top 6 and earn a spot there, and there's simply no room on the third or fourth lines. Even if the team has injury troubles it will more than likely be Gerbe and Ellis coming up before a fresh-out-of-juniors tough guy like Kassian. And as for your thoughts on the dmen -- i know i originally brought it up -- it's a moot point. Even if the Sabres go with 6 or 7 d-men, obviously they aren't going to let Kassian sit in the press box half the season doing nothing. He will be in Portland. That is all.

Isn't it time they start looking for a little better than fine?

If he has nothing more to prove in juniors, and is capable of being even serviceable (as good as Ellis?), why wouldnt you keep him on the team as a 3rd or 4th line player over McCormick, who he would seemingly have more offensive ability over. Also, he is too young to play in the AHL, so it's juniors or NHL. Like Myers last year.

AS for this....

I can't shake the feeling that they want the ability to dress a lineup that can throw the body around quite a bit. Gerbe doesn't play into that and I'm not so sure if Ellis brings anything of value in that area either (I do love having him as a depth guy in Portland though). Kassian would play into that perfectly if he earns his spot. Like I said earlier, I don't think he makes it this year, but part of me would love to see him step up and get some time in Stafford's slot instead.

I can say with 100% certainty that Kassian will not spend a day in Portland this season.

Risky guarantee there. He could get some time at the end once his junior season ends much like Adam last year. I'm not sure if he age plays a factor in that possibility though.

He is too young to play in Portland so its back to the minors or make the team... cut and dry... id get rid of staff personally... save 2.5 mill too

Personally, I give him a 50/50 shot right now. If he warrants a spot they will give it to him. As far as him being able to crack the top 6, let's remember it's Lindy running the show. He's been known to mix things up when need be. Lines like these wouldn't surprise me at all:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Neidermeyer-Kassian (loved the way they looked)

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Kaleta-Gaustad-Grier

Extra: McCormick

I agree with those that think the Sabres should take some chances with forwards. If Kassian fits the bill great, how does Adam look. I didn't see the game, but still would love to see Stafford gone and for the Sabres to find more scorers with grit. Softies like Stafford need to go home.

Based only on the one preseason game, I would say that he doesn't have a chance to make the roster initially. He just seemed a lost at times, while Kassian seemed to be in/with the play for the most part.

If Kassian plays well enough to warrant a roster spot ellis or mccormick is portland bound. Id say its far more likely for mccormick however.

Mccormick can still go down.

Also, don't forget (even though he is hurt) Mark Parrish is in camp too. Though I would also LOVE to see Kassian make the team this year, I think it may be back to Windsor for him.

He should go back with one message "stay out of the bars kid!"

Pumped to watch him tonight though!

Also, don't forget (even though he is hurt) Mark Parrish is in camp too. Though I would also LOVE to see Kassian make the team this year, I think it may be back to Windsor for him.

He should go back with one message "stay out of the bars kid!"

Pumped to watch him tonight though!

Yea i think he goes back no matter what; i mean unless he dominates.

is there a live feed for tonights game? its not on local tv right?

He can, but this team is not going to pay NHL money for a guy to play in Portland. It goes completely against the way they operate.

Personally, I give him a 50/50 shot right now. If he warrants a spot they will give it to him. As far as him being able to crack the top 6, let's remember it's Lindy running the show. He's been known to mix things up when need be. Lines like these wouldn't surprise me at all:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Kaleta-Gaustad-Grier

If he's ready, that lineup intrigues me quite a bit.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Kaleta-Gaustad-Grier

I've been thinking pretty much this exact thing since the other night, although I'm probably closer to giving Kassian a 33% chance than 50%. If he delivers another performance tonight like he did the other night, I might go up to 50%.

Bottom line is that Gerbe can go down without needing to clear waivers and they probably don't care if they need to healthy-scratch McCormick, who is making the veteran minimum. So if Kassian plays like an unstoppable force of nature, they aren't going to send him back down to juniors just to keep Gerbe and/or McCormick in the lineup.

I agree with those that think the Sabres should take some chances with forwards. If Kassian fits the bill great, how does Adam look. I didn't see the game, but still would love to see Stafford gone and for the Sabres to find more scorers with grit. Softies like Stafford need to go home.

Adam looked too slow for the NHL to me. I think he's AHL-eligible this year, so hopefully a year in Portland will help.

Stafford looked pretty good the other night, as did both Roy and Vanek. Stafford's in his contract year, and with (hopefully!) a healthy Vanek and a motivated/maturing Roy, it's not impossible that Stafford has a good year.

Right, but they'd have to pay him his NHL salary if they sent him down, whereas if/when they send down Ellis they only need to pay him an AHL salary -- so if one of them goes down it's almost certain to be Ellis.

Archived