Rangers Waive Redden

Kristian

I'm sure he'll be thrilled now that he won't have to look over his shoulder to see if he was the one getting waived. I'm sure they considered it.

Drury has a no movement clause, He'd have to actually agree to it before they could waive him. Even though it's the Rangers, that 4 years left at $6.5 million for Redden has to sting a bit.

Drury has a no movement clause, He'd have to actually agree to it before they could waive him. Even though it's the Rangers, that 4 years left at $6.5 million for Redden has to sting a bit.

There's some talk in this neck of the woods about the Islanders picking up Redden since they just lost Streit for 4-6 months. If another team claims Redden off waivers, they get him at 50% of his salary (with the Rangers picking up the rest), but I don't remember if the Rangers need to call Redden back up for this to happen. Either way, though, I expect the Rangers would do whatever waiver machinations are necessary to get rid of a $3.25MM per year obligation. The really troubling thing though is that even at $3.25MM, Redden would be overpaid. Great signing, Slats!

There's some talk in this neck of the woods about the Islanders picking up Redden since they just lost Streit for 4-6 months. If another team claims Redden off waivers, they get him at 50% of his salary (with the Rangers picking up the rest), but I don't remember if the Rangers need to call Redden back up for this to happen. Either way, though, I expect the Rangers would do whatever waiver machinations are necessary to get rid of a $3.25MM per year obligation. The really troubling thing though is that even at $3.25MM, Redden would be overpaid. Great signing, Slats!

I'll defer to shrader insteead of reading the CBA again but I think the only time the Rangers would pay half is if he went through re-entry waivers. If someone picked him up now they pay the full deal.

I'll defer to shrader insteead of reading the CBA again but I think the only time the Rangers would pay half is if he went through re-entry waivers. If someone picked him up now they pay the full deal.

What she said. I don't know if they would actually put him on re-entry waivers though. If he's claimed that way, that half of his salary is counted against their cap. I'm not sure if they have the space for that.

They should waive Glen Sather.

But then who would we laugh at?

What she said. I don't know if they would actually put him on re-entry waivers though. If he's claimed that way, that half of his salary is counted against their cap. I'm not sure if they have the space for that.

NYR were 4 mill over, when Redden goes they'll be 2.5 under. If they "re-enter" him (wow that sounds bad) it would obviously put them over again. If he got picked up on re-entry they'd be over again. No way he comes back. He's stuck unless another team picks him up while he's down.

They should waive Glen Sather.

This is by no means a defense of Glen Sather but think about it, he screwed up with the aging allstar team a few years ago, but he managed to successfully totally change his team around into the reasonable successful team it is today, with good trades and good drafting.

Again, but no means a defense and I could be totally off kilter with that, but thats the way I view things. Look at the Isles for instance, or the Oilers.

Heavy contract to shift on Redden though, should be interesting to see what happens.

NYR were 4 mill over, when Redden goes they'll be 2.5 under. If they "re-enter" him (wow that sounds bad) it would obviously put them over again. If he got picked up on re-entry they'd be over again. No way he comes back. He's stuck unless another team picks him up while he's down.

One quick note, if they were to put him on re-entry waivers, that doesn't mean they'd actually have to bring him back up if he clears.

Is that with a buyout?

Is that with a buyout?

It's a different formula if they buy him out. Essentially what they've done is hide the cap number for Redden, but they still owe him the money.

They can't buy him out until June of next year. If they did at that time he would have a peak cap hit of 3.3. million in 2012-2014. Since they're more worried about fitting under the cap than salary paid (opposite of Sabres), it wouldn't make sense.

WADE REDDEN BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM

2011-2012: $1,833,333

2012-2013: $3,333,333

2013-2014: $3,333,333

2014-2015: $1,833,333

2015-2016: $1,833,333

2016-2017: $1,833,333

Thanks all - so it's down to the minors for him probably until some team is desperate for his services and makes a trade. Of course then some other team could pick him up on re-entry waivers.

True, but one note: Whatever team is worse would break the "tie".

True, but one note: Whatever team is worse would break the "tie".

I'm going to need more detail on this.

So Rangers send Redden down to Hartford. Then Islanders decide they want him and work out a trade.

Then the Isles have to bring him up through re-entry and could lose him to the Devils and are on hook for half his salary?

Or do the Rangers call him up first and then the Isles and Devils can put in a claim?

So Rangers send Redden down to Hartford. Then Islanders decide they want him and work out a trade.

Then the Isles have to bring him up through re-entry and could lose him to the Devils and are on hook for half his salary?

Or do the Rangers call him up first and then the Isles and Devils can put in a claim?

This. Then the Isles win because they suck.

It has happened a couple times where players have been traded like that, but then claimed by someone else off of re-entry waivers. If I remember correctly, it happened to Leighton a couple years back.

Archived