Rangers Waive Redden

Kristian

here's an interesting news bit from the Rangers blog...it says that if Redden wants to collect all his riches from the Rangers, ($6.5 mil/yr@ r4 years) then he'll never see the NHL again...if he refuses to go to Hartford, where he's been assigned, then the Rangers could nullify his contract and make him an unrestricted free agent. They say: "Some team would sign him, without a doubt, at $1M or $2M per year. Maybe even more." Attention Darcy: bargain might be on the way here.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/09/27/reddens-final-hours/

here's an interesting news bit from the Rangers blog...it says that if Redden wants to collect all his riches from the Rangers, ($6.5 mil/yr@ r4 years) then he'll never see the NHL again...if he refuses to go to Hartford, where he's been assigned, then the Rangers could nullify his contract and make him an unrestricted free agent. They say: "Some team would sign him, without a doubt, at $1M or $2M per year. Maybe even more." Attention Darcy: bargain might be on the way here.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/09/27/reddens-final-hours/

That is interesting. Definitely not in the best interest of his pocketbook.

His contract is void and he becomes a free agent. maybe his only way back to the NHL level.

So in other words, it's an easy way out for a player who doesn't want to play for a specific team?

I'm not saying this is what Redden's doing, but in theory, an expensive player can play like crapola on purpose, get sent down, refuse to report to the minors, and voila! - He's free to sign with anyone who offers him a contract?

If that's the case, I'd say that's definitely something that would need to be weeded out in the next CBA.

So in other words, it's an easy way out for a player who doesn't want to play for a specific team?

I'm not saying this is what Redden's doing, but in theory, an expensive player can play like crapola on purpose, get sent down, refuse to report to the minors, and voila! - He's free to sign with anyone who offers him a contract?

If that's the case, I'd say that's definitely something that would need to be weeded out in the next CBA.

It's up to the team to actually put in a complaint to void the contract though. In that situation where a guy's refusing to report, they can just suspend the guy, not pay him a dime, let him sit there, and not be stung by the guy signing somewhere else.

It's up to the team to actually put in a complaint to void the contract though. In that situation where a guy's refusing to report, they can just suspend the guy, not pay him a dime, let him sit there, and not be stung by the guy signing somewhere else.

I'll need a citation for that one.

It wouldn't make sense either way.

per TSN:

The following players were place on waivers on Wednesday:

DET - Jamie Johnson

TAM - Niklas Persson

TAM - Marc Pouliot

CLB - Trevor Frischmon

CLB - Jonathan Sigalet

PIT - Chris Conner

PIT - John Curry

PIT - Corey Potter