Darcy's done?

PASabreFan

Boom goes the dynamite!

To the "this team stinks" crowd: I'll admit preemptively that this is another stat that paints a rosier picture than a first-round exit supports. Still, though, the point is this: the Sabres aren't that far away from being a real contender. They need a couple of pieces, and the ones they need are important. But they already have a good number of nice pieces, they learned how to execute and win in the regular season last year like professionals, and they are progressing.

By allowing Miller to get peppered night after night?

Exactly what "pieces" do the Sabres have in place? They have Miller and Myers. Granted two very larger pieces. The Stanley Cup Champion puzzle is a very large one and requires many more "pieces" to be put in place. The Sabres don't have those pieces. They have a potential "piece" in Thomas Vanek but sadly you can only place him in the puzzle once you find the accompanying #1 center piece. The roster is dominated by mediocre third and fourth liners and the defense, out side of Myers is pathetic. Maybe you should start a different thread because I would love to see what other Stanley Cup "pieces" you believe the Sabres have. I have about 5 minutes of free time this afternoon which is all the time I will need to shred that last.

The leafs make the division look real bad.

Yeah, and really, Boston, Montreal and Ottawa had down regular seasons.

Hey, if we're making up bogus stats to make ourselves feel better, here's one. The Northeast Division finished last, LAST I SAY, in the category of most 100-point teams.

Posts like this drive me batty. Last year wasn't that bad and we'll git'em next year. It's 2010, right? I just had to make sure because it feels exactly like 2009.

As the team stands now (which is the one that I believe will hit the ice in October), I see the same outcome next spring. I just wonder if the people who say that that is when they will be mad, actually will be.

I bet I could actually be very happy if I was just apathetic about everything.

These people never get mad. They are burned out fathers at the end of a long work week. "What your mother said. If it happens again, Imma kick your ass."

Out of the top ten teams in wins last year, only one was in the only division with four playoff teams (which PA called a "weak" division). Out of the top ten teams in goals per game, only one was in the only division with four playoff teams (which PA called a "weak" division). That team: The Buffalo Sabres.

This would carry more weight if the regular season standings weren't proven to be meaningless in the this years playoffs. Buffalo may have won the division but Boston and Montreal proved to be the better teams. It took only six playoffs games to uncover the flaws of this team covered up by Miller for 82 regular season games. Here we are entering August with the same flaws firmly intact. You don't progress by standing still. The Sabres have made no moves forward this off-season and it should come as a shock to no one when they are passed by a team like the Bruins.

This would carry more weight if the regular season standings weren't proven to be meaningless in the this years playoffs. Buffalo may have won the division but Boston and Montreal proved to be the better teams. It took only six playoffs games to uncover the flaws of this team covered up by Miller for 82 regular season games. Here we are entering August with the same flaws firmly intact. You don't progress by standing still. The Sabres have made no moves forward this off-season and it should come as a shock to no one when they are passed by a team like the Bruins.

I could somewhat understand them standing pat if they gave the Bruins a good run for their money, and said Bruins went deep into the playoffs, instead of showcasing how fragile a team *they* are, by pissing away a 3-0 series lead to the Flyers.

It wasn't close though. The Sabres got pasted. Maybe not on the scoreboard, but anyone watching all 6 games knows there was one team on the ice who came to play, and another who came to watch their *goaltender* play. Anyone who says differently needs glasses or is flat out lying. And don't give me any of that "Vanek was hurt" BS either. The Bruins were missing *their* leading scorer as well, in case nobody noticed.

Bruins took note of their post-season collapse, and decided to get better.

Sabres held a presser in which Darcy did his best to hide the onion in his pocket, and then proceeded with business as usual, i.e. not do a ###### thing!!

Is it any wonder the players never learn from their mistakes, or care to work for a living? Look at the GM for christ sakes!

Regiers walked across the auditorium to ask the girl to dance and had to walk back empty handed to the jeers of his peers so many times he's become gun shy. He won't even attempt to cross that floor now because he's afraid of what might happen. He'd rather dance with his sister. This guy is a weak and flawed leader and his weakness flows throughout the line-up. Always content to let things play out,never willing to go after it. Unless he's adding another fringe player at or near the end of his career.

If he is "done" making moves for this upcoming season he needs to be fired. I'm sick of this every offseason. He is a spineless, coward, and a shell of almost every other contending teams GM's. He basically only makes changes during the offseason, and that is usually one or 2 moves. Its pathetic and sickening.

Was he watching the 2010 playoffs or was he watching clips of Pommer from 2007? I'm fairly certain he does that to assure himself he can be a good player. The same can be said of Roy and TC.

Well i suppose we can get ready for another worthless run next season. Because this top 6 isn't getting anything done.

Kind of like 2007/08, 08/09, 09/10.....

"We expect our core to mature...

blah, blah, blah".......

Thank Odin for at least blessing us with Ennis and Myers.

Sounds like some real bitterness here. Chances are, despite the inaction, people in Buffalo are fortunate enough just to have an NHL team.

I don't quite understand this sentiment.

If the Sabres are ever relocated, I, as a hockey fan, can always follow Toronto, Pittsburg, either NYC team, Montreal or even Detroit. Why are we fortunate enough to have an NHL team in this city?

Lets not forget the fact that this is more of an NHL town as opposed to an NFL town. The Sabres aren't going anywhere anytime soon specifically due to their regional success for the NHL.

I find this statement a non-starter for any conversation, it just doesn't hold water IMO.

I don't quite understand this sentiment.

If the Sabres are ever relocated, I, as a hockey fan, can always follow Toronto, Pittsburg, either NYC team, Montreal or even Detroit. Why are we fortunate enough to have an NHL team in this city?

Lets not forget the fact that this is more of an NHL town as opposed to an NFL town. The Sabres aren't going anywhere anytime soon specifically due to their regional success for the NHL.

I find this statement a non-starter for any conversation, it just doesn't hold water IMO.

bull on the part of buffalo being a hockey town.

I'll call foul on this. The Bills will be long gone before the Sabres will.

For the Bills, its just a matter of time. For the Sabres, not even close, espcecially given the 15 year old arena they built for them.

No, it may not be fact as I state, but common sense should dictate this is the most likely direction the sports venues in the WNY region are going. I cannot see the Bills staying here when there are far more lucrative markets available for an NFL franchise.

I'll call foul on this. The Bills will be long gone before the Sabres will.

For the Bills, its just a matter of time. For the Sabres, not even close, espcecially given the 15 year old arena they built for them.

No, it may not be fact as I state, but common sense should dictate this is the most likely direction the sports venues in the WNY region are going. I cannot see the Bills staying here when there are far more lucrative markets available for an NFL franchise.

this still does not mean that buffalo is not a football town. the bills have way more fans than the sabres. money and relocating have nothing to do with this.

Not living there anymore, I would actually say it's both. But I would also say that, not living there anymore, it's way more of a hockey town than I realized while I was there.

Liver disease? I've always felt an affinity with the WNY sport fan simply because I am a sabres fanatic and have been for the better part of my life. I share your pain I guess but personaly the drinking for me is simply to drown my sorrows. :wallbash:

this still does not mean that buffalo is not a football town. the bills have way more fans than the sabres. money and relocating have nothing to do with this.

Then we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

The reason the Sabres will be staying in Buffalo is because of the fan base, both its core and its expanding fan base. The Sabres have gathered far more fans over the past decade simply because of the semi-successful playoff runs. They do, of course, run the risk of turning some fans away if they don't field a product on the ice that shows some success. I'm sure its the same in most sports.

But there in lay the very reason why I feel Buffalo is far more of a hockey town as opposed to a football town. I have 2 sons, ages 17 and 15, as well as 3 nephews, ages 21, 20 and 17. All of them are athletic and carry a competitive streak in them. All 5 of them enjoy playing both football and hockey, as well as other sports. I speak with them all the time and their friends on what they enjoy more, the Sabres or Bills. Hands down the Sabres came up like 10 to 1. And I meet alot of my sons and neph's friends. They are the future fan base, their generation.

I don't see this as a football town at all. Ever since Flutie left I have seen the change in both people of my age as well as the young. More and more and more, its leaning to a hockey town.

And whether or not the team relocates or stays has the largest part of what the young kids were saying.

"The Bills Suck! I don't care if they leave WNY!" was the mainstay or staple of statements from alot of my kids and neph's friends.

That is not my mentality, but then again, I was fortunate enough to be in my early 20's when the Bills started their 4 consecutive Super Bowl appearances. Back then, there was something to get excited about every season. The last decade, uh........not so much.

Archived