Darcy's done?

PASabreFan

Then we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

The reason the Sabres will be staying in Buffalo is because of the fan base, both its core and its expanding fan base. The Sabres have gathered far more fans over the past decade simply because of the semi-successful playoff runs. They do, of course, run the risk of turning some fans away if they don't field a product on the ice that shows some success. I'm sure its the same in most sports.

But there in lay the very reason why I feel Buffalo is far more of a hockey town as opposed to a football town. I have 2 sons, ages 17 and 15, as well as 3 nephews, ages 21, 20 and 17. All of them are athletic and carry a competitive streak in them. All 5 of them enjoy playing both football and hockey, as well as other sports. I speak with them all the time and their friends on what they enjoy more, the Sabres or Bills. Hands down the Sabres came up like 10 to 1. And I meet alot of my sons and neph's friends. They are the future fan base, their generation.

I don't see this as a football town at all. Ever since Flutie left I have seen the change in both people of my age as well as the young. More and more and more, its leaning to a hockey town.

And whether or not the team relocates or stays has the largest part of what the young kids were saying.

"The Bills Suck! I don't care if they leave WNY!" was the mainstay or staple of statements from alot of my kids and neph's friends.

That is not my mentality, but then again, I was fortunate enough to be in my early 20's when the Bills started their 4 consecutive Super Bowl appearances. Back then, there was something to get excited about every season. The last decade, uh........not so much.

i still disagree. it really doesnt matter that you talked to 5 people and they all said they like the sabres better. how bout a survey for the whole city. somebody on this board should muster up a chart or some facts proving what team buffalo likes better, cause i dont feel like looking up all the stats. wheres that carp guy, hes good with charts.

i still disagree. it really doesnt matter that you talked to 5 people and they all said they like the sabres better. how bout a survey for the whole city. somebody on this board should muster up a chart or some facts proving what team buffalo likes better, cause i dont feel like looking up all the stats. wheres that carp guy, hes good with charts.

Oh, i've spoken to alot more than 5 people. Like I said, take it at face value, and ya, a survey of the urban, suburban and rural areas of the region should give you an indicator to some extent. Some outside opinions as well:

"Best Hockey town has to be Buffalo, no doubt about it, and it is why they had the outdoor game there and sold out like 80,000 seats, huge season ticket base, sold out seasons, they invented the outdoor screen during the playoffs with multiple thousands outside the sold out HSBC Arena, their jerseys have been among the best sellers (six of the top ten selling jerseys were Sabres jerseys the past few seasons)...just awesome is Buffalo as hockeytown USA....Second would be Pittsburgh right now."

"Hell yea, i have to agree about the hockey town.(non biased) i think buffalo is close to the top. last season just kinda ruined it a little."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080719190944AAqB3LH

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/407693/the_new_hockey_town_buffalo_new_york.html

Oh, i've spoken to alot more than 5 people. Like I said, take it at face value, and ya, a survey of the urban, suburban and rural areas of the region should give you an indicator to some extent. Some outside opinions as well:

"Best Hockey town has to be Buffalo, no doubt about it, and it is why they had the outdoor game there and sold out like 80,000 seats, huge season ticket base, sold out seasons, they invented the outdoor screen during the playoffs with multiple thousands outside the sold out HSBC Arena, their jerseys have been among the best sellers (six of the top ten selling jerseys were Sabres jerseys the past few seasons)...just awesome is Buffalo as hockeytown USA....Second would be Pittsburgh right now."

"Hell yea, i have to agree about the hockey town.(non biased) i think buffalo is close to the top. last season just kinda ruined it a little."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080719190944AAqB3LH

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/407693/the_new_hockey_town_buffalo_new_york.html

ok this still proves nothing. the sabres may be the best hockey town out of every team in the nhl, but that still doesnt mean that buffalo is not a football town first either.

Archived