Most efficient fourth liner?

FolignosJock

Link

Dont really know how to get to these efficiency stats but I would love to see some of the other sabres. I think that Kaleta is a great player and chipping in a few more goals this year will help even more. He has been a scorer at all levels before the AHL. His father described it as a big fish in a small pond and when he got to the AHL he was no longer the big fish he was just an average fish that hit harder than the rest. I think we could see him produce much more effectively if we put him on a better line and I hope to see it this year.

Link

Dont really know how to get to these efficiency stats but I would love to see some of the other sabres. I think that Kaleta is a great player and chipping in a few more goals this year will help even more. He has been a scorer at all levels before the AHL. His father described it as a big fish in a small pond and when he got to the AHL he was no longer the big fish he was just an average fish that hit harder than the rest. I think we could see him produce much more effectively if we put him on a better line and I hope to see it this year.

I will preface this by saying that I love Kaleta's game and I wish we had three of him to form an entire line. BUT, if Kaleta is the best option we have for a scoring line forward, that is sad commentary on the state of our Sabres.

I will preface this by saying that I love Kaleta's game and I wish we had three of him to form an entire line. BUT, if Kaleta is the best option we have for a scoring line forward, that is sad commentary on the state of our Sabres.

I somewhat agree. But i can also see him become a player similar to Ryan Clowe if he didnt focus on hit first which as his career goes along im sure there will be that progression. However the sabres dont have the first line that San Jose does. I think with a number one center and vanek on the left wing and kaleta playing his game banging in the corners it would be a very dangerous line and Pat can provide the space the other two would need.

He peaked at 24 goals in a season once in juniors. I don't think that qualifies as being a scorer at ever level prior to the AHL. That said, goals are not his purpose on this roster. Anything he puts in the net is an added bonus.

I wouldnt put Ryan Clowe in the scorer category either??? I'm not saying he is going to be Cam Neely one day, just that he could compliment a first line if we had one.

I somewhat agree. But i can also see him become a player similar to Ryan Clowe if he didnt focus on hit first which as his career goes along im sure there will be that progression. However the sabres dont have the first line that San Jose does. I think with a number one center and vanek on the left wing and kaleta playing his game banging in the corners it would be a very dangerous line and Pat can provide the space the other two would need.

Kaleta has a heart bigger than anyone else on the team, but he does not have the talent to play with true scoring line players. He is all effort all the time, but is a bull in a china shop. That is not to say that he doesn't make the occasional pretty play, but you are wasting the talent of your scoring line players if you burden them with a guy whose game amounts to crashing into a guy in the corner, hopefully recovering the puck, and dumping it in front of the net.

He peaked at 24 goals in a season once in juniors. I don't think that qualifies as being a scorer at ever level prior to the AHL. That said, goals are not his purpose on this roster. Anything he puts in the net is an added bonus.

Agreed - love the kid, but his goals don't come from out-skilling another player - they come from hard work and effort. That is not to take away from the value of his offensive contributions, in fact I give his offensive contributions even greater weight. No. 1 - How hard is it to do what he does with the comparatively small amount of talent he was given - if he scores 15 goals we think he's a god - Stafford scores 15 goals and we want to tar and feather him. No. 2 - How disheartening must it be for a goalie to get scored on by a guy like Kaleta? How disheartening for the rest of the his team? Seeing a goalie's response to Kaleta scoring a goal is priceless. Who did he beat top shelf last year - a top goalie - from 20' out? Can't remember the game, but Kaleta beat him like a red headed step-child. That goalie was pissed!

Kaleta has a heart bigger than anyone else on the team, but he does not have the talent to play with true scoring line players. He is all effort all the time, but is a bull in a china shop. That is not to say that he doesn't make the occasional pretty play, but you are wasting the talent of your scoring line players if you burden them with a guy whose game amounts to crashing into a guy in the corner, hopefully recovering the puck, and dumping it in front of the net.

I see that but i dont really think that would burden them I think that that hard work and effort would be exactly what two skill guys would need. A banger that has the speed to keep up with them and enough hands to knock in a good pass.

Agreed - love the kid, but his goals don't come from out-skilling another player - they come from hard work and effort. That is not to take away from the value of his offensive contributions, in fact I give his offensive contributions even greater weight. How disheartening must it be for a goalie to get scored on by a guy like Kaleta? How disheartening for the rest of the his team?

I dont know ask King Henrik? He did three short handed goals last year.... Which goes directly to your point about hard work and effort but he isnt shooting against Goldberg out there he scored ten goals last year in 55 games I dont think the goalies get too disheartened. At least not more than any other player scoring on them he isnt andrew peters.

Agreed - love the kid, but his goals don't come from out-skilling another player - they come from hard work and effort. That is not to take away from the value of his offensive contributions, in fact I give his offensive contributions even greater weight. No. 1 - How hard is it to do what he does with the comparatively small amount of talent he was given - if he scores 15 goals we think he's a god - Stafford scores 15 goals and we want to tar and feather him. No. 2 - How disheartening must it be for a goalie to get scored on by a guy like Kaleta? How disheartening for the rest of the his team? Seeing a goalie's response to Kaleta scoring a goal is priceless. Who did he beat top shelf last year - a top goalie - from 20' out? Can't remember the game, but Kaleta beat him like a red headed step-child. That goalie was pissed!

Rangers. Priceless.

Not to quibble -- wait, what am I saying -- but perhaps Kaleta doesn't possess a comparatively small amount of talent, but tons of it. Maybe he's been pigeon-holed in his career. Lindy said before last season he wanted Kaleta to play more hockey, or something like that, then didn't really give him much of a chance. Varada scored 50 goals in juniors... I'm just sayin'.

I also think your description of Kaleta's hitting game is a bit off. There's almost never a puck to be recovered, since he delivers his hits two seconds after the rubber is gone.

I actually love this up coming seasons 4th line. I think Kaleta and Goose will benefit immensily from McCormicks presence if his play in the playoff series is any indication of how hard he is going to go on the ice every shift.

Not to mention I think we see Goose hit 14 and Kaleta hit 18 or so goals this season. I truly believe this is going to be one he!! of a season for that line.

I actually love this up coming seasons 4th line. I think Kaleta and Goose will benefit immensily from McCormicks presence if his play in the playoff series is any indication of how hard he is going to go on the ice every shift.

Not to mention I think we see Goose hit 14 and Kaleta hit 18 or so goals this season. I truly believe this is going to be one he!! of a season for that line.

:unsure:

Not to quibble -- wait, what am I saying -- but perhaps Kaleta doesn't possess a comparatively small amount of talent, but tons of it. Maybe he's been pigeon-holed in his career. Lindy said before last season he wanted Kaleta to play more hockey, or something like that, then didn't really give him much of a chance. Varada scored 50 goals in juniors... I'm just sayin'.

I also think your description of Kaleta's hitting game is a bit off. There's almost never a puck to be recovered, since he delivers his hits two seconds after the rubber is gone.

Now Lindy's been holding Kaleta back too? Anyone else? Should Lydman have been turned loose to score goals? How about Miller?

Now Lindy's been holding Kaleta back too? Anyone else? Should Lydman have been turned loose to score goals? How about Miller?

Miller, yes. I don't think Lindy put Miller in the best position to play his best hockey when it counted. Miller needed more rest in the final couple of weeks.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of player Kaleta becomes in Lindy's so-called system. Let's hope it's more successul than Lindy's campaign to turn TV into a Selke winner.

Miller, yes. I don't think Lindy put Miller in the best position to play his best hockey when it counted. Miller needed more rest in the final couple of weeks.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of player Kaleta becomes in Lindy's so-called system. Let's hope it's more successul than Lindy's campaign to turn TV into a Selke winner.

I question that. Haven't we already seen progress? 5, 9, 15 points in 40, 51, 55 games per season?

I question that. Haven't we already seen progress? 5, 9, 15 points in 40, 51, 55 games per season?

You think we've seen all that Kaleta can be? If this it, and we can draw some conclusion about how Lindy develops young players, color me disappointed.

So -- Lindy held back Miller in a year in which he won Olympic MVP and the Vezina?

And what about Miller's playoff success in the 1st 2 years post-lockout? You'll recall, I'm sure, that before the '05-'06 season started, it was far from clear who the #1 was going to be.

What exactly do you think Kaleta, whose best year in juniors was 24 goals, should be producing at the NHL level? Lindy gave him a couple of shots on scoring lines last season and he wasn't up to the task. And I say that as a Kaleta believer.

Archived