Most efficient fourth liner?

FolignosJock

You think we've seen all that Kaleta can be? If this it, and we can draw some conclusion about how Lindy develops young players, color me disappointed.

Oh, please...

When Lindy got him, he was a marginal kid whose only claim to fame was he grew up an hour from the arena. The only talent he possessed that looked like it was NHL ready was his willingness to run into things at full speed, whether it be a player from the other team or the boards where that player once stood.

This isn't house league. Lindy isn't going to "coach him up" and turn him into a 20 goal scorer. The fact that Kaleta skates something approximating a regular shift is a testament to Lindy's ability to again turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

I can sympathize with some of the points you make about Lindy, but you cheapen the argument when you try to apply it to perhaps the greatest bit of coaching he has done since Matt Barnaby. Another player, by the way, who did exactly squat after leaving the terrible coaching of Lindy Ruff. Ruff may not know how to coach supremely talented offensive players but he sure as ###### knows how to coach pests and turn them into serviceable NHL players.

After about 5 or so more seasons, he'll finally play a full 82 games? :D

Unfortunately, he won't likely be in the league in 5 years. His style of play doesn't yield long careers, and he already has neck/concussion issues.

It pains me to say it, but enjoy him while we can. His own joke of ending up in a wheelchair could be prophetic.

Oh, please...

When Lindy got him, he was a marginal kid whose only claim to fame was he grew up an hour from the arena. The only talent he possessed that looked like it was NHL ready was his willingness to run into things at full speed, whether it be a player from the other team or the boards where that player once stood.

This isn't house league. Lindy isn't going to "coach him up" and turn him into a 20 goal scorer. The fact that Kaleta skates something approximating a regular shift is a testament to Lindy's ability to again turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

I can sympathize with some of the points you make about Lindy, but you cheapen the argument when you try to apply it to perhaps the greatest bit of coaching he has done since Matt Barnaby. Another player, by the way, who did exactly squat after leaving the terrible coaching of Lindy Ruff. Ruff may not know how to coach supremely talented offensive players but he sure as ###### knows how to coach pests and turn them into serviceable NHL players.

Good post but I disagree with the bolded part. Lindy's teams since the lockout have been high-scoring, even after Black Sunday. He got 95 points out of Briere and over 40 goals out of Vanek twice. Those are the only 2 players he's had that even approach the "supremely talented offensive player" designation.

Oh, please...

Ruff actually ran Barnaby out of town. His was traded prior to the run to the cup finals. Barnaby's "peak years" came before Lindy was on the job.

Actually, it's quite perplexing to look at Barnaby's numbers. Last season under Nolan to first season under Ruff, his regular season numbers went from 19-24-43 to 5-20-25 in roughly the same number of games. But the playoffs are just the opposite. He had four assists in eight games during the two playoff series in 97, before going 7-6-13 in 15 games during the 98 run. Maybe the key was PIM. He had all of 22 PIM in the 98 playoffs. Hat trick on Mother's Day, that was cool.

Then he played himself out of town in 98-99, a real lockerroom distraction.

Oh, please...

Lindy has coached a pest into a serviceable NHL player???? Your judging this solely on Kaleta. He also scored a point per game in his last playoffs in the OHL. To be honest i think Kaleta scoring 20 goals in a year isnt that far fetched.Playing hurt in only 55 games he put up ten. I dont understand what your getting at? I think his claim to fame was that he was the hardest hitter in the O when he played and every player in the league not on his team loved to take penalties against him kind of what he does here now.

The Ryan Clowe comparison still stands

Why? Here's Clowe's numbers: Clowe also plays 17 minutes a night.

2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL 58 16 18 34 78 11 4 2 6 17

2007-08 San Jose Sharks NHL 15 3 5 8 22 13 5 4 9 12

2008-09 San Jose Sharks NHL 71 22 30 52 51 6 1 1 2 8

2009-10 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 19 38 57 131 15 2 8 10 28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals 244 60 93 153 291 46 12 15 27 65

Here's Kaleta's:

2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 40 3 2 5 41 -- -- -- -- --

2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 51 4 5 9 89 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 55 10 5 15 89 6 1 1 2 22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals 153 17 14 31 240 6 1 1 2 22

Kaleta's not even as good at racking up penalty minutes as Clowe. Why do you insist on comparing them? I don't get it...

Link

Dont really know how to get to these efficiency stats but I would love to see some of the other sabres. I think that Kaleta is a great player and chipping in a few more goals this year will help even more. He has been a scorer at all levels before the AHL. His father described it as a big fish in a small pond and when he got to the AHL he was no longer the big fish he was just an average fish that hit harder than the rest. I think we could see him produce much more effectively if we put him on a better line and I hope to see it this year.

I also think Kaleta can offer more than just checking, drawing penalties, and pk.ing.

But he needs to be upgraded to the 3rd line to do so.

I think a line during the post was Gerbe-Kennedy-Kaleta. I love the idea of this line. Allthough some extra size would be nice. Maybe Gerbe-Goose-Kaleta?

Why? Here's Clowe's numbers: Clowe also plays 17 minutes a night.

2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL 58 16 18 34 78 11 4 2 6 17

2007-08 San Jose Sharks NHL 15 3 5 8 22 13 5 4 9 12

2008-09 San Jose Sharks NHL 71 22 30 52 51 6 1 1 2 8

2009-10 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 19 38 57 131 15 2 8 10 28

NHL Totals 244 60 93 153 291 46 12 15 27 65

Here's Kaleta's:

2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 40 3 2 5 41 -- -- -- -- --

2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 51 4 5 9 89 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 55 10 5 15 89 6 1 1 2 22

NHL Totals 153 17 14 31 240 6 1 1 2 22

Kaleta's not even as good at racking up penalty minutes as Clowe. Why do you insist on comparing them? I don't get it...

Because that 2006-07 season clowe was 24. Kaleta is 24 this year and i think his numbers could easily be pretty close to what clowe did that year. Kaleta started playing in the NHL much earlier than Clowe.

And he draws penalties far better why would we want him to take more?

Archived