Patty Lalime

JJFIVEOH

OK, amidst the free agency frenzy I just gotta know. What is everybody's beef with Patty? All I hear is we should have signed Marty, he's a better backup, he's a local guy, blah blah blah. Does anybody actually have a legitimate reason why he gets so much criticism?

-His stats were above and beyond Marty's this year

-He has always been a great leader on the bench

-All the players respect him and always talk about him being the hardest worker on the team

-He accepts his role as a backup

-Minus the one bad game against Anaheim his save % was .914 which puts him in the right there on the list with Brodeur and Luongo.

-He was criticized for his play when Miller was out the previous year, when the real reason they missed the playoffs was the lethargic offensive production.

-There were several STARTERS who ranked below Patty in GAA and save % this year

-Take those stats and consider the fact he plays once every two weeks

-@ $1 mil year........................... what more do you want????????

Is this Lalime's agent?

That could be the only reason to explain this post.

9-21-5 over 2 seasons as a backup is an unacceptable number for a team that was close to the playoffs 1 year and #3 overlal in the East last year...with a GAA right around 3. Case closed.

Other teams generally have backups who are around .500, is that too much to ask for a playoff team?

Hardly.

OK, amidst the free agency frenzy I just gotta know. What is everybody's beef with Patty? All I hear is we should have signed Marty, he's a better backup, he's a local guy, blah blah blah. Does anybody actually have a legitimate reason why he gets so much criticism?

-His stats were above and beyond Marty's this year

-He has always been a great leader on the bench

-All the players respect him and always talk about him being the hardest worker on the team

-He accepts his role as a backup

-Minus the one bad game against Anaheim his save % was .914 which puts him in the right there on the list with Brodeur and Luongo.

-He was criticized for his play when Miller was out the previous year, when the real reason they missed the playoffs was the lethargic offensive production.

-There were several STARTERS who ranked below Patty in GAA and save % this year

-Take those stats and consider the fact he plays once every two weeks

-@ $1 mil year........................... what more do you want????????

A better goalie.

The back up goalie problems are a Lindy Ruff thing. The sample size is large enough. He screws up their confidence which in turn gets them benched, playing less and playing worse.

I think they're more a fan problem than anything else. Quite honestly, in the big picture, it isn't really that big of a deal.

Is this Lalime's agent?

That could be the only reason to explain this post.

9-21-5 over 2 seasons as a backup is an unacceptable number for a team that was close to the playoffs 1 year and #3 overlal in the East last year...with a GAA right around 3. Case closed.

Other teams generally have backups who are around .500, is that too much to ask for a playoff team?

Hardly.

Gee I don't know, perhaps you should ask the playoff team about that?

I'm no Lalime fan, but people are kidding themselves if they think they're going to get better numbers out of a backup goalie, than Lalime has posted here :

SV% .907, GAA 2.81

Now, if the playoff team would get off their lazy, overcomfy ###### for once and score him three goals, maybe he'd have a few more wins in that mix?

In his last four losses the past season, he posted a SV% of .952, .909, .912 and .941.

I don't deny that he blows chunks on a regular basis, but more often than not it's the "playoff team" who pisses away his chance of a win, not himself.

Let's not forget the 11 games he played while Miller was out and the team only scored over three goals twice. Including a three game losing streak where Lalime had a 1.9 GAA and .932 save % and lost all three games because the team had a total of three goals. One AVERAGE game from the team during that three game losing streak would have put them in the playoffs.

Let's not forget the 11 games he played while Miller was out and the team only scored over three goals twice. Including a three game losing streak where Lalime had a 1.9 GAA and .932 save % and lost all three games because the team had a total of three goals. One AVERAGE game from the team during that three game losing streak would have put them in the playoffs.

That too.

I just don't get it - Most people here agree Miller often needs to steal games in order for the Sabres to win. At least most would agree the division title belongs to Miller more than anyone.

Well if that's the case, then why do people get so wound about a backup losing most of the games he plays? It took a Vezina winner to get this team into the playoffs in the first place, how can anyone be surprised the backup will lose more than he wins?

Time to take a good hard look at the rest of this worthless bunch, and give Lalime a break at least until he pisses the bed in a 5-4 loss. Blaming him for 3-1 and 2-1 losses is just plain ignorant.

Gee I don't know, perhaps you should ask the playoff team about that?

I'm no Lalime fan, but people are kidding themselves if they think they're going to get better numbers out of a backup goalie, than Lalime has posted here :

SV% .907, GAA 2.81

Now, if the playoff team would get off their lazy, overcomfy ###### for once and score him three goals, maybe he'd have a few more wins in that mix?

In his last four losses the past season, he posted a SV% of .952, .909, .912 and .941.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!! This teams BIG problem remains on the offensive side. Untill we sign a legitimate first line center who can get something out of the big soft six I sure as ###### would not worry about the back up goalie situation. :wallbash:

That too.

I just don't get it - Most people here agree Miller often needs to steal games in order for the Sabres to win. At least most would agree the division title belongs to Miller more than anyone.

Well if that's the case, then why do people get so wound about a backup losing most of the games he plays? It took a Vezina winner to get this team into the playoffs in the first place, how can anyone be surprised the backup will lose more than he wins?

Time to take a good hard look at the rest of this worthless bunch, and give Lalime a break at least until he pisses the bed in a 5-4 loss. Blaming him for 3-1 and 2-1 losses is just plain ignorant.

And if they did get a better showing last year from the backup role, it gains them at best the #2 seed in the east and has no impact on the way the team plays in the playoffs. Backup goalie is a need for this team right now for obvious reasons, but it's way down the list of priorities.

Right now, with what the team currently has, the most important thing they need from a backup goalie is a guy who won't be a distraction. Lalime fits that build and if they wind up bringing him back, I'm fine with that.

And if they did get a better showing last year from the backup role, it gains them at best the #2 seed in the east and has no impact on the way the team plays in the playoffs. Backup goalie is a need for this team right now for obvious reasons, but it's way down the list of priorities.

Right now, with what the team currently has, the most important thing they need from a backup goalie is a guy who won't be a distraction. Lalime fits that build and if they wind up bringing him back, I'm fine with that.

You don't think Miller would have benefited from five games more rest, especially at the end? He wasn't October-November sharp in April, that's for sure.

You don't think Miller would have benefited from five games more rest, especially at the end? He wasn't October-November sharp in April, that's for sure.

I don't think Lindy would have played things any differently regardless of who was the backup, so your question seems moot. It does point right back at your favorite head coach though, so I'm glad I could help with that crusade.

Sure, Ruff sucks at managing goalies.

However, Lalime shows up not ready to play, and lets in 2-3 goals in the first few minutes. His numbers show up better because after that, ONLY THEN he's ready and he'll stop 20+ shots after he's ###### the team and taken any wind out of their sails.

Lalime's rebound control is terrible. There are a lot of saves he makes that end up in the corner or right out front for the trailing forward to knock in (god forbid Butler's on the ice then too). The Sabres really need the goaltender to absorb the puck and cover up for a faceoff. There are too many shifts with Lalime in net where they are scrambling in a panic in their own zone for 2 minutes or longer. This team absolutely relies on Miller to make the save, cover up, and allow for line changes in order to be successful. Many of the games with Lalime in net came down to the 3rd period and in most of those games, I believe the team was completely out of gas. Miller's rebound control keeps the team fresh and competitive into the 3rd period whereas with Lalime in net, they simply didn't have the same energy as the opposition. Even when he played more often, this was the case.

Sure, Ruff sucks at managing goalies.

However, Lalime shows up not ready to play, and lets in 2-3 goals in the first few minutes. His numbers show up better because after that, ONLY THEN he's ready and he'll stop 20+ shots after he's ###### the team and taken any wind out of their sails.

Lalime's rebound control is terrible. There are a lot of saves he makes that end up in the corner or right out front for the trailing forward to knock in (god forbid Butler's on the ice then too). The Sabres really need the goaltender to absorb the puck and cover up for a faceoff. There are too many shifts with Lalime in net where they are scrambling in a panic in their own zone for 2 minutes or longer. This team absolutely relies on Miller to make the save, cover up, and allow for line changes in order to be successful. Many of the games with Lalime in net came down to the 3rd period and in most of those games, I believe the team was completely out of gas. Miller's rebound control keeps the team fresh and competitive into the 3rd period whereas with Lalime in net, they simply didn't have the same energy as the opposition. Even when he played more often, this was the case.

Talk about seeing what you want to see.

That scenario maybe happens 1-2 times a year, and yeah it suck when it does. That's why Lalime's a backup. I never said he was great, but he does what he's paid to do - Stop 9 out of 10.

If the team has a problem with their backup not controlling rebounds, a good place to start would be to stop allowing 30+ shots every night, regardless who's in net.

The second they don't have Ryan standing on his head, they lose. Even on nights where he just plays "well", they're in danger of losing. We're talking about a team that needs a Vezina goalie at the top of his game every night in order to win.

So tell me again how it can be the backups fault they lose when he's in net?

I don't think Lindy would have played things any differently regardless of who was the backup, so your question seems moot. It does point right back at your favorite head coach though, so I'm glad I could help with that crusade.

Agreed, Lindy never has has treated backup's right. Remember the Noronen/Biron fiasco? The whole situation was a mess.

Whatever happened to Noronen?

The back up goalie problems are a Lindy Ruff thing. The sample size is large enough. He screws up their confidence which in turn gets them benched, playing less and playing worse.

I don't know that it's a confidence issue, but it sure is a game experience issue. I think I write this at the beginning of every season: three games on, one game off for the starter. If there's one thing that Ruff does that drives me nuts, it's the management of the backup goalie.

Agreed, Lindy never has has treated backup's right. Remember the Noronen/Biron fiasco? The whole situation was a mess.

Whatever happened to Noronen?

Noronen's here: http://tinyurl.com/2g7evac

I think this is what's happening. Darcy has not tapped Lalime as yet because he may need that money for a trade. If a trade occurs, he'll bring up Enroth. If not, he'll probably use the money to keep Lalime for another season and bring up Enroth next year.

Sounds plausible.

All I know about Patty Lalime is that I feel ridiculously uncomfortable while he is in net. It's not the soft goals so much, but the way he carries himself. He leaves the net like he is a defenseman, rather than a goaltender. Then when he gets out of the net, he becomes very non-decisive on what to do with the puck when playing it.

I don't know, he may have decent numbers for a backup, but I am ready to move on.

Archived