Eric Staal to the Buffalo Sabres

static70

Oh goody. Another ridiculous thread. Why stop at Staal? Why not Crosby or Ovechkin? Why not all 3 of them?

Get a grip.

Why stop there.. Let's reunite all the Staal brothers in Buffalo.

I have no doubt Carolina would deal Staal if the right package were assembled.

My package would be hefty, but fair in value.

To Buf

Eric Staal

To Car

Derek Roy

Drew Stafford

Nathan Gerbe/Tim Kennedy

Andrej Sekera/Chris Butler

Zack Kassian/Luke Adam

1st rd pick 2010

2nd rd pick 2011

If thats what it takes, do it.

We need a Young Stud center, Carolina needs a team to replace their aging roster.

Is that all it would take? Half our team?

Carolina has said repeatedly that they are not trading Staal and Ward. I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

Richards is a possibility but I don't think he justifies his salary.

He was just promoted to Captain this season. As soon as that happened, the Canes turned their season around and almost made the playoffs. I don't see them trading their Captain.

The Regier Doctine has been established. He owned it during the postseason presser. He builds a team for regular season success -- defined as top 8 in the league, then hopes it catches lightning in the playoffs.

His stat about how no team can win the Cup without being in the Top 8 almost bit the dust in the form of the Flyers. If Philly's success is a sign of where the league not only is, but is headed, again we have a GM caught with his pants down.

What success? I thought success was only defined by winning the Stanley Cup. Philly did no better then Buffalo. Just another team that got hot only to lose to the better team.

Eric Staal to Buffalo ain't happening, especially now that he was named captain and they turned their season around down the stretch. Any trade involving Staal would have to start with Tyler Myers.

However, the guy I think is realistic that the Sabres could go after that is a UFA is Patrick Marleau. I think he's actually attainable, and he was an absolute superstar in the playoffs this year. The 4-0 series sweep to Chicago is rather misleading considering how awesome Marleau was during that series. I feel like it was Nabokov who really let San Jose down not Marleau and Thornton this year. Marleau would provide the goal scoring and the leadership in the forward ranks that's been missing since Briere and Drury left. He's also a great penalty killer and a top line centerman. Patrick Marleau is exactly what this team needs. If the Sabres do not re-sign Tallinder and Lydman and bring up Weber and maybe sign another low end vet defenseman, they'll have enough money to sign Marleau. Shipping Connolly and or Stafford for some draft picks/prospects would provide the Sabres enough money to make an impact this offseason by signing Marleau and maybe a Joe Corvo on defense and bringing up Mike Weber to replace a Lydman. That would be a big impact if the Sabres brought in two UFAs and Weber and some picks and prospects in exchange for the loss of Tallinder, Lydman, Connolly, and Stafford. I'd take that any day. Staal I don't think is realistic but Marleau and Corvo are certainly realistic if you can shed Tallinder, Lydman, and Connolly. It can be easily done. That's what I'm hoping for this offseason, but with Darcy I have little expectation of any of this happening. This is just my opinion, though.

Here, from a local Calgary source, that I am dead set sure, knows a ###### of alot more about Phaneuf than national beat writers, considering they watched him play his entire time in Calgary.

Brian Costello - The Hockey News

http://www.metronews...d-trade-phaneuf

Pay close attention to the following statement:

"Phaneuf’s game has gone downhill since and he’s no longer talked about as even a distant candidate for the Norris Trophy."

Oh, and this follow up bueaty as well:

"He isn’t even a top three defenceman on the Flames. Most of his miscues are mental lapses and its unlikely he’s going to all of a sudden get smarter. Nevertheless, there’s a demand for his skills at 24. Trade him now before he gets older and before the rest of the league learns more about him."

Now, granted, this was Jan. 13th, 2010, but, He did get a chance to watch Phaneuf for 4 seasons, oh, and ah, that little tidbit about the Norris, is correct.

Granted its only 1 article to your 3, but hey, your guys are beat writers right there in Calgary and had a first hand chance to catch his play quite regularly, right? :rolleyes:

The post is on Eric Staal, not Deon Phaneuf, lets move past these red herrings that keep getting throwin out there to distract from the plain and simple truth, if you offer Carolina enough, they'll wheel and deal, regardless of semantics.

I did pay attention. It wasn't really that hard to follow.

Are you kidding?

We're discussing what the general consensus was about the Toronto-Calgary trade, you claim that every hockey insider called it an even trade, I post three very reputable sources saying it was not an even trade and you post, in response, one article from some publication that no one's ever heard of (which, btw, was not from The Hockey News, but rather from a Calgary publication with a column called "the hockey news") that was published BEFORE the trade and has nothing to do with the actual trade? And then you make a sarcastic comment about how unreliable the articles I posted are?

And no kidding that the thread is about Eric Staal. That concept was already ridiculous before you made the absurd claim that everyone felt the Phaneuf trade was an even trade.

Look, I and everyone else here would love the Sabres to get Eric Staal. However, it ain't happening, and not because of any flaws in DR. It's because Carolina isn't trading him. Any speculation to the contrary is just a waste of time.

Admit defeat like a man and move on.

Eric Staal to Buffalo ain't happening, especially now that he was named captain and they turned their season around down the stretch. Any trade involving Staal would have to start with Tyler Myers.

However, the guy I think is realistic that the Sabres could go after that is a UFA is Patrick Marleau. I think he's actually attainable, and he was an absolute superstar in the playoffs this year. The 4-0 series sweep to Chicago is rather misleading considering how awesome Marleau was during that series. I feel like it was Nabokov who really let San Jose down not Marleau and Thornton this year. Marleau would provide the goal scoring and the leadership in the forward ranks that's been missing since Briere and Drury left. He's also a great penalty killer and a top line centerman. Patrick Marleau is exactly what this team needs. If the Sabres do not re-sign Tallinder and Lydman and bring up Weber and maybe sign another low end vet defenseman, they'll have enough money to sign Marleau. Shipping Connolly and or Stafford for some draft picks/prospects would provide the Sabres enough money to make an impact this offseason by signing Marleau and maybe a Joe Corvo on defense and bringing up Mike Weber to replace a Lydman. That would be a big impact if the Sabres brought in two UFAs and Weber and some picks and prospects in exchange for the loss of Tallinder, Lydman, Connolly, and Stafford. I'd take that any day. Staal I don't think is realistic but Marleau and Corvo are certainly realistic if you can shed Tallinder, Lydman, and Connolly. It can be easily done. That's what I'm hoping for this offseason, but with Darcy I have little expectation of any of this happening. This is just my opinion, though.

Right on. Marleau is the guy they should be targeting. The problem is that he's going to have at least 5-6 teams offering him big contracts this summer and it's highly unlikely that given those options he will end up choosing Buffalo.

I did pay attention. It wasn't really that hard to follow.

Are you kidding?

We're discussing what the general consensus was about the Toronto-Calgary trade, you claim that every hockey insider called it an even trade, I post three very reputable sources saying it was not an even trade and you post, in response, one article from some publication that no one's ever heard of (which, btw, was not from The Hockey News, but rather from a Calgary publication with a column called "the hockey news") that was published BEFORE the trade and has nothing to do with the actual trade? And then you make a sarcastic comment about how unreliable the articles I posted are?

And no kidding that the thread is about Eric Staal. That concept was already ridiculous before you made the absurd claim that everyone felt the Phaneuf trade was an even trade.

Look, I and everyone else here would love the Sabres to get Eric Staal. However, it ain't happening, and not because of any flaws in DR. It's because Carolina isn't trading him. Any speculation to the contrary is just a waste of time.

Right on. Marleau is the guy they should be targeting. The problem is that he's going to have at least 5-6 teams offering him big contracts this summer and it's highly unlikely that given those options he will end up choosing Buffalo.

Hopefully, Rivet and Grier can convince him to come to Buffalo, but I agree, he likely will not end up in Buffalo. If we're going to dream about players on these threads, I'm dreaming of Marleau because he's a UFA and I think he's attainable with a 3 year $20-$21 million contract. You could even make it 4 years and $27 million, and I think he'd come to Buffalo. You take out Lydman, Tallinder, and Connolly out of the equation and the Sabres don't have any cap issues and can easily afford Marleau. The key will be trading Connolly before July 1st or before the season starts in order to acquire Marleau because the Sabres can simply choose not to re-sign Lydman and Tallinder. You can replace those two with Weber and a mid-level UFA like Corvo or Hamhuis.

Defeat? WTF are you talking about? I hadn't realized we were in a competition.

As for your "I'm right, your wrong, get over it" stance, just let it be. You are so wrong its not even funny. DeLuca is actually correct, anyone with your mindset on what is and is not possible in so far as a player in professional sports getting moved goes, has not paid attention at all over the years to the specifics of other blockbuster trades with not only franchise players, but players that represent the best in an entire sport.

Just accept the OP I put up, screw the naysayers, I've seen trades done with this caliber of talent and far better before. It can be done.

Eric Staal is who I would like to see the team bring in, or that caliber of player. And spare me the "it ain't happening" bull$hit.

This part I agree with. Any signficant trade made by the Sabres would probably require Tyler as part of it. There are only two Sabres that could be used in a blue chip trade, Miller and Myers.

I say, offer Myers to anyone while his stock is high.

You have to give something to get something.

As for your "I'm right, your wrong, get over it" stance, just let it be. You are so wrong its not even funny. DeLuca is actually correct, anyone with your mindset on what is and is not possible in so far as a player in professional sports getting moved goes, has not paid attention at all over the years to the specifics of other blockbuster trades with not only franchise players, but players that represent the best in an entire sport.

Just accept the OP I put up, screw the naysayers, I've seen trades done with this caliber of talent and far better before. It can be done.

Eric Staal is who I would like to see the team bring in, or that caliber of player. And spare me the "it ain't happening" bull$hit.

So you're just going to pretend you didn't make an absurd claim about the way the Phaneuf trade was generally described in the hockey media? (That was the part I was urging you to admit defeat on.)

As for trades like the Staal trade happening frequently -- can you list a few examples of elite players in their primes who are team leaders getting traded where there is no contract dispute forcing the situation?

So you're just going to pretend you didn't make an absurd claim about the way the Phaneuf trade was generally described in the hockey media? (That was the part I was urging you to admit defeat on.)

As for trades like the Staal trade happening frequently -- can you list a few examples of elite players in their primes who are team leaders getting traded where there is no contract dispute forcing the situation?

Wayne Gretzky.

I'm done with distractions, you posted your opinion on Eric Staal, I respect that.

[/b]

What success? I thought success was only defined by winning the Stanley Cup. Philly did no better then Buffalo. Just another team that got hot only to lose to the better team.

Philly is miles ahead of Buffalo on the road to winning a Stanley Cup. You post that Buffalo is one or two big moves away from winning a Stanley Cup which couldn't be further from the truth. The Flyers are one move away from winning a Stanley Cup. If they can somehow land a goalie like Evgeni Nabokov They would join Washington and Pittsburgh as favorites next season.

Philly is miles ahead of Buffalo on the road to winning a Stanley Cup. You post that Buffalo is one or two big moves away from winning a Stanley Cup which couldn't be further from the truth. The Flyers are one move away from winning a Stanley Cup. If they can somehow land a goalie like Evgeni Nabokov They would join Washington and Pittsburgh as favorites next season.

And yet, they were one shot away from not even making the playoffs.

And yet, they were one shot away from not even making the playoffs.

The difference is being healthy at the right time. When healthy and getting decent goal-tending the Flyers are as good as any team in the league. A far cry from the Sabres whose fortunes rest solely on Ryan Miller.

Well, add "and the owner wasn't in major financial trouble in an era when it was legal to throw $15 million in cash into a trade deal" to his list and that one goes away, too.

Very true carpandean, and Pocklington should have been burned in effigy across Canada. But, in the end, it can also be pointed right back to my OP: If you throw enough at Carolina, they'll wheel and deal.

I know that seems so cliche, but in the end, its true. Its merely a matter of stacking the package to get him.

Some would say its giving up half our current roster, or the entire contributing components of our team. But in the end, I also stated I would like to see a Stanley Cup here in Buffalo before I die. If that means building the roster in an attempt to accomplish that goal, then lets have at it.

Besides, its only my opinion, but Connolly, Roy, Stafford, Pomminstein, Hecht, Kennedy, Gerbe, Gaustad, Weber, Kassian, Adam, Gragnani, Enroth are all expendable. To me, in any event, you could put together a sweetheart of a package with picks to throw at them. And with a hefty 7.75 mil for 2 seasons then jumping up to 8.5 for a season then 9.25 in the last year of that contract, he is going to come at a hefty price, I would imagine, based on those numbers and the other top of the line centers I see, this pricing is going to be the norm within the league for talent such as his at center.

I also mentioned Richards from Dallas, a bit older, but he too is going to be commanding 8 mil or more a season in his next contract.

We could land him in FA at the end of this up coming season, if he doesn't resign with Dallas, but, he'll be pricy to be sure. Staal is younger and comes with an upside on longevity due to his age, and thats just an assumption from myself. He is a team leader to be sure though.

I respectfully disagree with you. nfreeman is one of the most respected, intelligent, and observant posters on this forum. I clearly remember when he stated that we weren't keeping Dominic Moore after the 2009 trade deadline deal was done, and he was proven right.

As much as I can't stand some of the moves that the FO has made, I feel like when I read something from nfreeman, he clears things up in a way that makes perfect sense.

Marty Turco is looking for a new place to call home...

Just saying.

I respectfully disagree with you. nfreeman is one of the most respected, intelligent, and observant posters on this forum. I clearly remember when he stated that we weren't keeping Dominic Moore after the 2009 trade deadline deal was done, and he was proven right.

As much as I can't stand some of the moves that the FO has made, I feel like when I read something from nfreeman, he clears things up in a way that makes perfect sense.

haha is he your brother or something?

Archived