Eric Staal to the Buffalo Sabres

static70

I may vote his post up from time 2 time but I don't think we've ever had a "relationship". :wub:

Good sense of humor, and to nfreeman, in no way was I attacking your views, as I stated, I just have a different opinion is all, and yours was noted, but, as I also pointed out, I ignore the nay sayers and asked what it would conceivably take to get Eric Staal on the Sabres.

Good sense of humor, and to nfreeman, in no way was I attacking your views, as I stated, I just have a different opinion is all, and yours was noted, but, as I also pointed out, I ignore the nay sayers and asked what it would conceivably take to get Eric Staal on the Sabres.

Teleporting the NHL and all of us into an alternate universe?

In all seriousness, I don't think there is anything the Sabres could do to get him short of offering Myers, Vanek and Miller -- and I don't know if Carolina would take that deal.

OTOH, it's certainly possible that a Pronger or Heatley situation could bubble up in Carolina, in which case the Sabres should definitely get in on the action -- but without something like that, I just can't see it happening.

XC -- thanks for the kind words.

In all seriousness, I don't think there is anything the Sabres could do to get him short of offering Myers, Vanek and Miller -- and I don't know if Carolina would take that deal.

OTOH, it's certainly possible that a Pronger or Heatley situation could bubble up in Carolina, in which case the Sabres should definitely get in on the action -- but without something like that, I just can't see it happening.

I can't see it happening just because of who our GM is. :thumbdown:

It's nice to see you and TW have a open relationship :thumbsup:

Keep up the attacks. Its what you do. Your stats are debunked so you come up with randon observations as to why you think they lost and you attack those who prove you wrong. Classic.

Keep up the attacks. Its what you do. Your stats are debunked so you come up with randon observations as to why you think they lost and you attack those who prove you wrong. Classic.

By who? Certainly not you. You have yet to prove anything other than your willingness to defend Regier no matter how much legit information is presented. Ignoring facts and declaring victory may have worked for the Republican Party but here it just makes you seem desperate. I would love for the Sabres to be a Cup contender. Ignoring the obvious isn't going to make it happen. Pretending players are better than what they are doesn't make them better players. And pretending that Regier has his finger of the pulse of what makes a Stanley Cup Champion doesn't make it so.

I was laughing earlier when you brought out your whole Bill Cowher point. You were actually right about one thing. If they would have fired Cowher prior to his 13th season they wouldn't have won that Super Bowl. You did fail to mention that they did fire the GM that hired Cowher during that 13 years.

Another clever gay joke -- good stuff! And you couple it with an attack on Republicans even though the party you presumably support is allegedly the "progressive" one -- nice!

So you think the only reason the Sabres won't get Staal is because of DR? And I guess the same goes for Kane and Malkin? So that means that you think all 3 are in play and that other teams, with better GMs, will end up getting those guys this summer? But you also think we don't need any of those guys because we have Derek Roy (whom DR drafted)?

It's OK. In the alternate universe in which those trades will actually happen, you still have plenty of credibility.

By who? Certainly not you. You have yet to prove anything other than your willingness to defend Regier no matter how much legit information is presented. Ignoring facts and declaring victory may have worked for the Republican Party but here it just makes you seem desperate. I would love for the Sabres to be a Cup contender. Ignoring the obvious isn't going to make it happen. Pretending players are better than what they are doesn't make them better players. And pretending that Regier has his finger of the pulse of what makes a Stanley Cup Champion doesn't make it so.

I was laughing earlier when you brought out your whole Bill Cowher point. You were actually right about one thing. If they would have fired Cowher prior to his 13th season they wouldn't have won that Super Bowl. You did fail to mention that they did fire the GM that hired Cowher during that 13 years.

Again, a factual error. Donahoe and Cowher were hired the same year but Donahoe played no part in hiring Cowher. Keep trying as you keep trying to defend those stats that prove irrelevant. Do you want me to remind you of the team leaders in hits and blocked shots again?

I was looking at what Carolina is looking to do with their rebuild. I don't want to get off topic from Staal, but I also mentioned Richards from Dallas. Thats for another thread though.

For Staal, and I'm not familiar with his contract stipulations, I just want to see that type of talent on Buff's 1st line. Without giving up Vanek. I would however, consider giving up Miller for that type of talent. I don't know, but in the past 15 years or so, Buffalo has had a nack for decent goaltending. Now I'm not saying it was all their training staff, but I would have to say they do have some experience with success in that position.

Would that help our cause? I don't know nfreeman, but I do know we are going to have to give to get, I don't want to see Miller traded, but if it increases our chances to win a Cup I'm all in.

I guess its all in theory at this point. If I knew how to edit the title of the thread I would change up the title to read something like: "number 1 center to Buffalo" and then address a multitude of possibilities including Marleau.

I was looking at what Carolina is looking to do with their rebuild. I don't want to get off topic from Staal, but I also mentioned Richards from Dallas. Thats for another thread though.

For Staal, and I'm not familiar with his contract stipulations, I just want to see that type of talent on Buff's 1st line. Without giving up Vanek. I would however, consider giving up Miller for that type of talent. I don't know, but in the past 15 years or so, Buffalo has had a nack for decent goaltending. Now I'm not saying it was all their training staff, but I would have to say they do have some experience with success in that position.

Would that help our cause? I don't know nfreeman, but I do know we are going to have to give to get, I don't want to see Miller traded, but if it increases our chances to win a Cup I'm all in.

I guess its all in theory at this point. If I knew how to edit the title of the thread I would change up the title to read something like: "number 1 center to Buffalo" and then address a multitude of possibilities including Marleau.

I would love to get Staal, and I agree that to get a player like him, you need to give up a lot. Do you think Carolina would trade Staal for Miller? I don't. They already have Ward who makes more $$ than Miller and who based on contract and recent injury history would be very difficult to trade.

Bottom line is that I think we both want to see the Sabres make a strong move this summer for a no-BS top-line forward. I just object to the notion (and I don't remember at this point whether you were doing this or not) that elite players around the league are generally available in trade, and DR is somehow incompetent for not getting them. I will criticize him for not doing enough last summer, and for not being in the mix on the Pronger, Smyth and Phaneuf trades (although of course none of us knows whether he was or not), and if he doesn't make at least one strong addition at forward this summer, but not for failing to get guys like Kane, Malkin and Staal. Those guys aren't for sale.

Again, a factual error. Donahoe and Cowher were hired the same year but Donahoe played no part in hiring Cowher. Keep trying as you keep trying to defend those stats that prove irrelevant. Do you want me to remind you of the team leaders in hits and blocked shots again?

Donahoe was hired in 1991. Cowher was hired in 1992. Yep the exact same time. And there is no way a GM would have any input into hiring a coach? This is the Steelers we are talking about not the Bills.

Why don't you remind me which team finished in the bottom third of blocked shots, last in hits and one of the worst turnover/takeaway ratios in the NHL last season. You may know them, the team that was not fatigued at all in the playoffs yet were out scored 9-3 in the third periods of Bruins series. Please remind me again.

I would love to get Staal, and I agree that to get a player like him, you need to give up a lot. Do you think Carolina would trade Staal for Miller? I don't. They already have Ward who makes more $$ than Miller and who based on contract and recent injury history would be very difficult to trade.

Bottom line is that I think we both want to see the Sabres make a strong move this summer for a no-BS top-line forward. I just object to the notion (and I don't remember at this point whether you were doing this or not) that elite players around the league are generally available in trade, and DR is somehow incompetent for not getting them. I will criticize him for not doing enough last summer, and for not being in the mix on the Pronger, Smyth and Phaneuf trades (although of course none of us knows whether he was or not), and if he doesn't make at least one strong addition at forward this summer, but not for failing to get guys like Kane, Malkin and Staal. Those guys aren't for sale.

Regier is not "incompetent for not getting them." Regier is "incompetent" for not even trying. Again, when Kovi was available Regier never made the call. Instead he goes on WGR and proclaims his team as just another team that didn't get Kovi. That's point with Regier, instead of making phone calls he is making excuses. I know Staal won't be a Buffalo Sabre next season, I just wish we had a GM that would make a move like that at least slightly possible. I would have liked for there to be even a small chance of getting Kovi at the deadline. I would like to think that there is a small chance a player like Marleau could be a Sabre but I know better. The other thread we agreed on a player like David Booth or Nathan Horton, deep down inside we both know under Regier it's just not a realistic possibility. People can like or dislike Brian Burke for many reasons. No one can say he is afraid to make a move and doesn't turn over every rock to make his team better. Is there anyone who really feels the same way about Regier? Honestly?

Donahoe was hired in 1991. Cowher was hired in 1992. Yep the exact same time. And there is no way a GM would have any input into hiring a coach? This is the Steelers we are talking about not the Bills.

Why don't you remind me which team finished in the bottom third of blocked shots, last in hits and one of the worst turnover/takeaway ratios in the NHL last season. You may know them, the team that was not fatigued at all in the playoffs yet were out scored 9-3 in the third periods of Bruins series. Please remind me again.

Donahoe was hired in 91 but wasn't appointed director of football operations till after Cowher was hired.

Yes, you are correct, I too am voicing a no BS top line forward.

But yes, you are also correct, I am the one voicing that for the right price any player can be had. Its just my belief that if you throw enough at a deal, you can raise enough interest to complete that deal. I would think the "sweeten the pot" plan I speak of exists in all business.

I will agree however, you are also correct, a GM just may say no based on their instincts of what they would do with that talented player.

I am crossing my fingers that Darcy makes the following adjustments:

#1 center for Vanek and a RWer to complete that line 1.

Although I saw some success with Hecht - Connolly - Pomminstein, I still question Connolly's heart given the playoff performance, but Timmy wasn't my main concern, Roy and Stafford were.

As for lines 3 and 4, just a line 3 center like Cullen or Lombardi.

Kaberle, Liles or Foster for a defensive addition.

Biron or Enroth as backup, which ever is better.

Thats about my changes, but I do tend to emphasize that line 1 center, only because I believe Vanek could be so much better with a real stud to feed him and vice versa.

Yes, you are correct, I too am voicing a no BS top line forward.

But yes, you are also correct, I am the one voicing that for the right price any player can be had. Its just my belief that if you throw enough at a deal, you can raise enough interest to complete that deal. I would think the "sweeten the pot" plan I speak of exists in all business.

I will agree however, you are also correct, a GM just may say no based on their instincts of what they would do with that talented player.

I am crossing my fingers that Darcy makes the following adjustments:

#1 center for Vanek and a RWer to complete that line 1.

Although I saw some success with Hecht - Connolly - Pomminstein, I still question Connolly's heart given the playoff performance, but Timmy wasn't my main concern, Roy and Stafford were.

As for lines 3 and 4, just a line 3 center like Cullen or Lombardi.

Kaberle, Liles or Foster for a defensive addition.

Biron or Enroth as backup, which ever is better.

Thats about my changes, but I do tend to emphasize that line 1 center, only because I believe Vanek could be so much better with a real stud to feed him and vice versa.

I feel the need to address this once more. I agree with you that the number one need for Buffalo, like a lot of teams is a #1 center. However, your notion that anyone can be had is just not correct. Do elite players sometimes get moved? Absolutley. Does it happen often? No.

Most GM's follow the old axiom, whoever gets the best player wins no matter what the return. There is no good reason for Carolina to trade Staal. He is 24 and if they decide to retool their roster, he will be around for that retooling.

I appreciate your passion and in a lot of ways I think we are on the same page. I just wish we could concentrate on players that are truly available and I don't hink they all are.

Very true carpandean, and Pocklington should have been burned in effigy across Canada. But, in the end, it can also be pointed right back to my OP: If you throw enough at Carolina, they'll wheel and deal.

I know that seems so cliche, but in the end, its true. Its merely a matter of stacking the package to get him.

I am the one voicing that for the right price any player can be had. Its just my belief that if you throw enough at a deal, you can raise enough interest to complete that deal. I would think the "sweeten the pot" plan I speak of exists in all business.

Remember the old adage "the team that gets the best player wins a trade." While not 100% true, it is not without merit. A team can make up for some difference in the quality of the top players, especially if contract terms are less favorable on the better players (e.g., if Kovy had been signed for three more years, nobody would have questioned who won that deal, but because he only had three months left, it is at least debatable), there is only so much that can be made up for, unless the other GM makes a mistake. How many additional assets that the Sabres have can actually be added to a mediocre offer to make it better. Management is "safe" in its moves, so we rarely draft in the top-ten. How much, then, are our picks really worth? How many of our prospects have that much value? How many roster players, given their contracts, actually add value to a deal? Throwing ten extra overpaid mediocre players into a deal makes it worse, not better. As I mentioned, this is not an era where Darcy could throw in $5 million in cash to sweeten a deal. Unless Carolina makes a panic move like one could argue Calgary made with Phaneuf, then I don't know if we have the assets to put together to acquire him. The two Tylers have big potential and low salaries, while Roy's cap hit is nice for his production, but beyond that, there are a lot of question marks or inflated contracts. Now, Deluca is right, there's no harm in making the call. Burke kept calling Calgary until a deal was made. However, I wouldn't hold my breath that Carolina would do anything short of laugh at any offer that Darcy could put together.

Edit: TW stole my adage while I was typing my longer post.

I feel the need to address this once more. I agree with you that the number one need for Buffalo, like a lot of teams is a #1 center. However, your notion that anyone can be had is just not correct. Do elite players sometimes get moved? Absolutley. Does it happen often? No.

Most GM's follow the old axiom, whoever gets the best player wins no matter what the return. There is no good reason for Carolina to trade Staal. He is 24 and if they decide to retool their roster, he will be around for that retooling.

I know it won't end here, but it should. Perfectly stated.

I know it won't end here, but it should. Perfectly stated.

It will from my end Blue, I just need to know how to edit the thread title, and I'll open it up for all "reasonable" deals for a center.

To TW, you are correct, it is passion, and after all these years the frustration is showing from my end. I had the same frustration after 99 as well.

If someone would tell me how to edit the thread title, I'll label it "Reasonable Center to Buffalo?".

It will from my end Blue, I just need to know how to edit the thread title, and I'll open it up for all "reasonable" deals for a center.

To TW, you are correct, it is passion, and after all these years the frustration is showing from my end. I had the same frustration after 99 as well.

If someone would tell me how to edit the thread title, I'll label it "Reasonable Center to Buffalo?".

We had a pretty good convo goin' on here last month.

No, no -- you're married to this thread title forever. Happy anniversary!

lol, ok, then dang nabbit, I insist on Eric Staal to Buffalo. Maybe we can trade Quinn, Regier, Ruff and Stafford for him. Heck, I'd even throw in Montador and his behind his own net puck handling abilities as my deal sweetener. :thumbsup:

lol, ok, then dang nabbit, I insist on Eric Staal to Buffalo. Maybe we can trade Quinn, Regier, Ruff and Stafford for him. Heck, I'd even throw in Montador and his behind his own net puck handling abilities as my deal sweetener. :thumbsup:

Carolina might have to throw in their popcorn guy to even out the value.

Archived