Chicago Will Be A Dynasty

CallawaySabres

So Darcy did a good job with the decisions he made?

Hindsight is always 20/20. Would all of us rather have briere, drury, dumont and Campbell than kotalik, Connolly, Afinigenov and vanek? Obviously but those decisions can't be looked at in a vacuum.

i really dont think darcy is that bad of a gm

Me either but his flaws are mounting:

1). Entirely too patient

2). Overvalues his roster

3). Won't make the big deal

4). Doesn't take chances

5). Has not been able to identify 'heart'

6). Not able to work the cap in his favor.

Me either but his flaws are mounting:

1). Entirely too patient

2). Overvalues his roster

3). Won't make the big deal

4). Doesn't take chances

5). Has not been able to identify 'heart'

6). Not able to work the cap in his favor.

i agree with all this. but he has made alot of good trades just not that huge trade that everyone wants to see. with that said i think hes gonna get us that big trade or fa signing this summer. count on it.

i agree with all this. but he has made alot of good trades just not that huge trade that everyone wants to see. with that said i think hes gonna get us that big trade or fa signing this summer. count on it.

What has he done since acquiring briere to make you count on this?

True. What name player has he acquired? Drury, Rhett warrener, any one else in the last decade? Playoff rentals for second round picks don't count.

Drury certainly wasn't a big trade either, at the time, so I can't think of any.

??. I've heard this before and I don't get it. It was a pretty big deal at the time.

I don't remember it being a big deal at all. He was a fourth line center for the Aves (he was only playing the third line because Yelle got injured). Bringing in a fourth line center is hardly the team changing blockbuster move that people want out of Darcy.

I don't remember it being a big deal at all. He was a fourth line center for the Aves (he was only playing the third line because Yelle got injured). Bringing in a fourth line center is hardly the team changing blockbuster move that people want out of Darcy.

The Sabres got him from Calgary. He was a known commodity in the NHL at the time. It wasn't a major blockbuster but it was a real trade.

The Sabres got him from Calgary. He was a known commodity in the NHL at the time. It wasn't a major blockbuster but it was a real trade.

He was known, but still only as a 20+ goal 50+ point guy, but with some timely scoring and the dreaded "P" word (potential). He didn't have immediate impact on the team. It was a good trade don't get me wrong, but we didn't know that until a couple of years later.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that not a single person said, "We got Chris Drury?!? I'm gonna go get seasons today." That's the kind of move I want.

What has he done since acquiring briere to make you count on this?

I know you weren't responding to me but who is relying on him to do anything? We want him to bur I have serious doubts that I will get excited by any of his off season moves.

First, he played mostly wing with Colorado where in 4 years with them he was 6th, 3rd, 5th and 4th leading scorer for them in the regular season. He had a dissappointing season in Calgary were he was their 3rd leading scorer. Buffalo then traded essentially a 1st round pick and Rhett Warrener for him. Remember Warrener was pretty highly regarded at the time and Keith Ballard was a hot prospect.

Was it a Joe Thornton type trade? No, but it was a pretty significant move.

First, he played mostly wing with Colorado where in 4 years with them he was 6th, 3rd, 5th and 4th leading scorer for them in the regular season. He had a dissappointing season in Calgary were he was their 3rd leading scorer. Buffalo then traded essentially a 1st round pick and Rhett Warrener for him. Remember Warrener was pretty highly regarded at the time and Keith Ballard was a hot prospect.

Was it a Joe Thornton type trade? No, but it was a pretty significant move.

That just makes me even more sad. Our significant move is one where we give up all that for a guy who scored all of 53 points the previous season.

On a side note, Roy gets 20 more than that every year and everyone wants to run him out of town.

That just makes me even more sad. Our significant move is one where we give up all that for a guy who scored all of 53 points the previous season.

On a side note, Roy gets 20 more than that every year and everyone wants to run him out of town.

53 points was pretty good back then.

On your side note, some of us just want Roy to be the #2 center behind a true #1,

53 points was pretty good back then.

On your side note, some of us just want Roy to be the #2 center behind a true #1,

I still think Roy is as much of a #1 center as Drury. Take that any way you want (Roy being better than and Drury being worse than public opinion).

EDIT: At the end of a game, if we needed a goal, how great would it be to see Roy, Vanek, and Iguinla on the ice?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that not a single person said, "We got Chris Drury?!? I'm gonna go get seasons today." That's the kind of move I want.

Amen.

Were you not completely disgusted with Roy's playoffs? At least TC had the injury excuse and Stafford had the inexperience excuse. Pommer had no excuse but he was marginally less terrible than Roy was.

I'd be OK with this outcome, although I'd rather TC be the #2 and Roy be the #3. Realistically though if the Sabres trade for a true top line forward, one of them will most likely have to go.

I agree that I don't necessarily want Roy to be run out of town. I just think (i) he's not even close to being as good as Briere, as I posted about 20 times in the Briere thread, and (ii) if the Sabres do trade one of TC, Roy and Pommer, which is likely for both budget and "send-a-message" reasons, my first choice to unload would be Roy.

EDIT: At the end of a game, if we needed a goal, how great would it be to see Roy, Vanek, and Iguinla on the ice?

Now Iginla is intriguing and much more of a possibility than some of the other fantasy-land suggestions that have been put forth lately. Calgary is a poorly run organization that makes ill-conceived, panicked moves AND is under heavy pressure to "do something" -- i.e. the DeLucas are ruling the roost over there. There have been rumors of them trading Iginla while he's still good enough for them to get something good for him. If he is put onto the market, he is exactly what the Sabres need and they should be in the middle of it.

I still think Roy is as much of a #1 center as Drury. Take that any way you want (Roy being better than and Drury being worse than public opinion).

I never thought of Drury as a #1 center but at the end of the game I'd rather have him out there then Roy. By the way, when did Iginla add that u?

In my mind, both Roy and Drury are better suited to play the wing.

He was known, but still only as a 20+ goal 50+ point guy, but with some timely scoring and the dreaded "P" word (potential). He didn't have immediate impact on the team. It was a good trade don't get me wrong, but we didn't know that until a couple of years later.

We didn't know that for a couple years because he played one season and then the next was the lockout.

i think hes gonna do something huge because it seems there is no other choice for him.

We talking about Darcy? I don't think he has to do anything except maintain the status quo. The team is making money, the arena is almost at capacity and ownership is happy. C-o-m-f-o-r-t-a-b-l-e.

Archived