Daniel Briere

Mike Oxhurtz

Hello everyone! I'm sure this has been brought up many of times, if we had kept Daniel Briere... I remember heavily criticizing the Sabres for not resigning Drury and Briere. I remember getting bashed by one of the moderators by saying I had no clue what I was talking about. I also remember discussions with DeLuca and his "B-Rod" discussions. Well, the year before Briere went to Philly, the Flyers were one of the worst teams in the league. Since Philly has revamped the team, they've not only made to the E.C. finals on more than one occasion, but are now playing in the Stanley Cup. Daniel Briere has been a big part of the Flyers success as he was in the Sabres success in 2005-2006. It's extremely frustrating to know Sabres management screwed up a good thing when we had it. The Sabres we're very close to making it to the cup in 2005 and came close again in 2006. Instead of adding players to get the team over the hump, our 2 co-captains are not resigned and the Sabres took several steps backwards. It seems like the Sabres motto has always been "Once you've got someone good, get rid of them". How many good players over the years have the Sabres lost? John Tucker, Alex Mogliny, Dominik Hasek, Michael Peca, Chris Drury, Daniel Briere. Is Ralph Wilson running both the Bills and Sabres? I love both teams, but it gets very frustrating seeing mistake after mistake made.

Hello everyone! I'm sure this has been brought up many of times, if we had kept Daniel Briere... I remember heavily criticizing the Sabres for not resigning Drury and Briere. I remember getting bashed by one of the moderators by saying I had no clue what I was talking about. I also remember discussions with DeLuca and his "B-Rod" discussions. Well, the year before Briere went to Philly, the Flyers were one of the worst teams in the league. Since Philly has revamped the team, they've not only made to the E.C. finals on more than one occasion, but are now playing in the Stanley Cup. Daniel Briere has been a big part of the Flyers success as he was in the Sabres success in 2005-2006. It's extremely frustrating to know Sabres management screwed up a good thing when we had it. The Sabres we're very close to making it to the cup in 2005 and came close again in 2006. Instead of adding players to get the team over the hump, our 2 co-captains are not resigned and the Sabres took several steps backwards. It seems like the Sabres motto has always been "Once you've got someone good, get rid of them". How many good players over the years have the Sabres lost? John Tucker, Alex Mogliny, Dominik Hasek, Michael Peca, Chris Drury, Daniel Briere. Is Ralph Wilson running both the Bills and Sabres? I love both teams, but it gets very frustrating seeing mistake after mistake made.

Briere has played well and has contributed a lot. He is just one of many pieces and is far from the leader of that team. They run six or seven deep with quality forwards and Pronger is just a monster on the blue line. If you put Briere back on the Sabres he definitely would be the Sabres best forward. As would a few others on the Flyers.

I think both the flyers and the hawks are proving if you spend to the cap deep at forward and defence with a servicable but average goalie you can make a deep run.Counter to what a lot of teams are doing including the sabres.Maybe having an overpaid goalie who may or may not carry a club is'nt the way to go.I'm happy for Danny Briere though,he's always been a classy guy.

I think both the flyers and the hawks are proving if you spend to the cap deep at forward and defence with a servicable but average goalie you can make a deep run.Counter to what a lot of teams are doing including the sabres.Maybe having an overpaid goalie who may or may not carry a club is'nt the way to go.I'm happy for Danny Briere though,he's always been a classy guy.

Yeah ... that didn't work out quite as well for Ottawa and Washington though, did it? Chicago and Philly have not gotten average goaltending ... I agree it hasn't carried them by any stretch, but it has been good.

It's not just about spending to the cap ... the guys you spend the money on have to bust their butts every shift and put the puck in the net or it won't matter who is in goal. That was the bigger problem with the Sabres. One more $5 million forward and a cheap goalie would not have changed the story.

I guess i could have made myself clearer by saying an average paid goalie not an average goalie.My bad.I thought it was obvious that the hawks and flyers goalies have played great but they certainly are'nt paid like the millers or luongos of the league.

I guess i could have made myself clearer by saying an average paid goalie not an average goalie.My bad.I thought it was obvious that the hawks and flyers goalies have played great but they certainly are'nt paid like the millers or luongos of the league.

I hear ya, but I am not sure it's a blueprint for future teams, either ... hoping your cheap goalie gets hot and doesn't blow it for the great team you built .... it's just as big a gamble as hoping the stud goalie steals a few playoff games for you, isn't it?

You need it all working, there's now magic shortcut.

While both chicago and Philly have handed out large contracts to a couple of FA, the majority of their rosters have come from great drafting and good trades.

Briere has played well and has contributed a lot. He is just one of many pieces and is far from the leader of that team. They run six or seven deep with quality forwards and Pronger is just a monster on the blue line. If you put Briere back on the Sabres he definitely would be the Sabres best forward. As would a few others on the Flyers.

Just Richards. He, Briere and Pronger are what Philly has that the Sabres don't.

Actually, the Hawks do; he's just their backup (Huet has a $5.625 million cap hit.)

Carter and Gagne would be the best Sabres forward if on this team.

You would be swearing at Carter for his inconsistency and lack of physical play. Gagne makes Connolly look like an iron man. You just don't get that the Flyers have been getting blasted by Philly Deluca 67 to the 10th power.

I think both the flyers and the hawks are proving if you spend to the cap deep at forward and defence with a servicable but average goalie you can make a deep run.

The Flyers were one shootout in game 82 away from missing the playoffs. They may have captured lightning in a bottle, but I don't know if they should now be touted as how to build a successful franchise.

You would be swearing at Carter for his inconsistency and lack of physical play. Gagne makes Connolly look like an iron man. You just don't get that the Flyers have been getting blasted by Philly Deluca 67 to the 10th power.

And they would still be the best forwards on this team.

Actually Gagne and Connolly both have played 10 seasons in the NHL. Gagne has played in 664 games which is 105 more games than Connolly has. I would compare offensive production but all that would prove is that Connolly has no business being compare to a Simon Gagne in any way at any level. Gagne is a legit NHL star and Connolly is a legit disappointment.

Looking at Caters four years in the NHL (he is only 25) he has shown a pretty consistent offensive side to his game. He is a more lethal goal scorer than a Pominville and plays with a greater maturity than Roy which admittedly isn't that hard.

Carter is comparable to Vanek and as TW notes Gagne to TC. Both are good complementary scorers but neither is the type to lead in the playoffs.

I don't really disagree with that but I'll just say that I've never seen Timmy skate as hard as Gagne did this series, ever.

Philly may not be touted as how to build a franchise but in the playoffs I'd take their team over the fluff we call the sabres and the sabres won the division.I want a sabres team built for the playoffs.Who cares if you squeek in?

The Flyers were one shootout in game 82 away from missing the playoffs. They may have captured lightning in a bottle, but I don't know if they should now be touted as how to build a successful franchise.

+1. Just last round, as I was telling everyone (and being mocked) that I don't have anywhere near as high a regard for the Habs as they do, now all of a sudden the Flyers are the "wonderful franchise". Matter of fact, someone told me last round that the Flyers were the only team left that the 2009-2010 Sabres "would have had a chance against" (which I totally disagree with by the way).

I am VERY down on the Sabres, especially the core forwards, but this hailing of other teams in the East on this board is bordering on ridiculous in my mind.

Not in this or any lifetime. Have you ever compared the numbers?

Certainly Gagne has been more productive and I would rather have him on my team than TC, but my point was simply that, like TC, he's a skilled complementary scorer who gets hurt a lot and, critically, isn't a guy who can be relied on to lead a team in the playoffs. He's not one of the key guys on the Flyers who differentiate that team from the Sabres.

Keep buying tickets my friends.......

Quinn.....Jack Bauer knows what you did...

I was just thinking about tracking down that LQ "if you want to win" quote last night. So it's very odd you posted this. But thanks.

It goes to the heart of the arrogance of Buffalo's ownership and management. They really think they know what they're doing -- and the rest of the league is wrong. I mean, they do have the fourth best record in the league since the lockout!

Archived