A Player Per Day: No. 40: Patrick Lalime

Eleven

41 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

He shows up not ready to play, and lets in 2-3 goals in the first few minutes. Then he's ready and he'll stop 20+ shots after he's ###### the team and taken any wind out of their sails. It's a backup's job to be ready to play cold. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't be a back up.

He shows up not ready to play, and lets in 2-3 goals in the first few minutes. Then he's ready and he'll stop 20+ shots after he's ###### the team and taken any wind out of their sails. It's a backup's job to be ready to play cold. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't be a back up.

We have a winner.

This is the first player I've really felt a 1 for.

Edit P.S.: And this idea that he sucks, but we like him a lot is symbolic of the country club atmosphere on this team.

We have a winner.

Edit P.S.: And this idea that he sucks, but we like him a lot is symbolic of the country club atmosphere on this team.

Cut his ######. Lindy will have Miller play the full 82 next year.

Welcome back Marty Biron.

Signing Marty would be like signing TO. A nice PR move but no better for the club. If you want more minutes for the backup he's got to be better than LaLime. Maybe Legace? Wait. LaLime's got better numbers. never mind :cry:

Signing Marty would be like signing TO. A nice PR move but no better for the club. If you want more minutes for the backup he's got to be better than LaLime. Maybe Legace? Wait. LaLime's got better numbers. never mind :cry:

Agreed. But the options are thin when looking for a guy who's only going to play 10-12 games a season and could go 2-3 weeks between starts.

We have a winner.

Isn't that pretty much the same reason people want Marty back? :doh: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Marty sucks, but he's really not significantly better than Lalime in my mind. I agree that since Biron still wants to be a starter somewhere it makes no sense to bring him here. I don't think Miller is the kind of guy who needs to feel competition for the starting job in order to play well, and as likable as Marty is, we need the backup goalie equivalent of Matt Ellis and Pat Kaleta -- perfectly happy with whatever he can get and will give it his all when he gets the nod.

Marty still wants to start, no? No way the Sabres would mess with Miller's fragile, child-like mind like that.

not saying he doesn't still want to start, but when's the last time he said he wanted to? I recall he left Buffalo to be a starter -- then got lit up in Philly and didn't do too great in New York either. Maybe he's had his fun and is content with being a back up in a sports city like Buffalo.

Current salary, sure. Liked by the team, plays, well, better than Biron. More Lindy's fault than Patty's he doesn't play enough.

Nice points. I dont expect much from a goalie when hes lucky to play every 3 weeks. :wallbash:

I'll stand by this from now til death, Miller should have a rest every 4 to 5 games, and a backup should always play the worse team in back to back nights. Its that simple. Miller should play about 65 to 70 games.

Which did happen this season. Now as far as Lalimes performance during his 16 games, it was average. But that is his skill set.

I'd really like to see Enroth be given a shot to win the backup job and then give him 15-20 games to keep sharp and get some NHL experience. My biggest fear...Enroth tires of the AHL and bolts for his homeland like another Sabres former #1 pick who also played goalie did...Noronen.

I'd really like to see Enroth be given a shot to win the backup job and then give him 15-20 games to keep sharp and get some NHL experience. My biggest fear...Enroth tires of the AHL and bolts for his homeland like another Sabres former #1 pick who also played goalie did...Noronen.

Noronen was a first round pick - Enroth wasn't. Noronen went back to Europe rather than sit the bench in Vancouver, not the AHL. Noronen served his purpose perfectly, although at an unsettled time in net for the Sabres. He developed as much as he could, played a few games, and was traded for different assets. Maybe you hope a first rounder has greater value, but everything outside of the top five picks is a crapshoot. If the guy played some games in the NHL, it wasn't a wasted pick.

Since we all know whoever the Sabres backup goalie is, will get thrown into the meat grinder known as Lindy and come out an underused, rusty shell of a player he once was, does this one even matter. Can we just get some hot chick to sit on the bench in a bikini as the backup?

Noronen was a first round pick - Enroth wasn't. Noronen went back to Europe rather than sit the bench in Vancouver, not the AHL. Noronen served his purpose perfectly, although at an unsettled time in net for the Sabres. He developed as much as he could, played a few games, and was traded for different assets. Maybe you hope a first rounder has greater value, but everything outside of the top five picks is a crapshoot. If the guy played some games in the NHL, it wasn't a wasted pick.

My mistake on Enroth being a 1st round pick, but I still have concerns about a player from oversees bolting after becoming frustrated by what they perceive to be too long a time in the minors.

Since we all know whoever the Sabres backup goalie is, will get thrown into the meat grinder known as Lindy and come out an underused, rusty shell of a player he once was, does this one even matter. Can we just get some hot chick to sit on the bench in a bikini as the backup?

Add that to Chz's list of post-graduation job offers. ;)

Archived