Lindy vs Bylsma - Discussion

ntjacks79

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about Lindy Ruff, and I know it's a "hot topic". For those of you who are "Anti-Lindy", let me ask you a question. If the Buffalo Sabres roster was EXACTLY the same as the current Pittsburgh Penguins roster, and the boys in blue and gold just lost a playoff series in 7 games to the 2009-2010 Montreal Canadiens, what would you be saying right now about Lindy Ruff? I would bet the sentiment would be "Drawn and Quartered" is too good for Lindy. You CANNOT lose a playoff series with the roster the Penguins have to the 2009-2010 edition of the Montreal Canadiens. Completely unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, Bylsma should be immediately fired. Lindy Ruff has NEVER done anything as grievous as Dan Bylsma just did. Those are my thoughts... discuss.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about Lindy Ruff, and I know it's a "hot topic". For those of you who are "Anti-Lindy", let me ask you a question. If the Buffalo Sabres roster was EXACTLY the same as the current Pittsburgh Penguins roster, and the boys in blue and gold just lost a playoff series in 7 games to the 2009-2010 Montreal Canadiens, what would you be saying right now about Lindy Ruff? I would bet the sentiment would be "Drawn and Quartered" is too good for Lindy. You CANNOT lose a playoff series with the roster the Penguins have to the 2009-2010 edition of the Montreal Canadiens. Completely unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, Bylsma should be immediately fired. Lindy Ruff has NEVER done anything as grievous as Dan Bylsma just did. Those are my thoughts... discuss.

The team Lindy took to the SCFs was not as good as this Montreal team. The difference was that they played with emotion, not unlike how the Habs are playing right now. I think that was the last Lindy team to actually play with heart. I think both the Sabres and the Penguins thought they were too talented to fail and forgot that they actually had to try.

Not sure but I believe that Bylsma just won a cup with Pittsburgh last year. If LR won Buffalo a cup he would have a statue erected out front of HSBC and there would be hundreds of children growning up in Buffalo with the first name of Lindy.

The team Lindy took to the SCFs was not as good as this Montreal team.

Wow, what a statement this is! I am actually blown away by it. But before I respond, I want to think a little more about it. My initial impression is that the 2006 Sabres would have "wiped the ice" with the 2010 Canadiens. To say they weren't as good is shocking to me - but again, want to think about it a little bit. To me you seem to be seriously overrating the 2010 Habs or seriously underrating the 2006 Sabres (which I still think was a Stanley Cup winner if the D stayed healthy).

As far as I'm concerned, Bylsma should be immediately fired. Lindy Ruff has NEVER done anything as grievous as Dan Bylsma just did. Those are my thoughts... discuss.

Fixed it for ya.

Ridiculous question. I'd say winning a Cup last year and getting a team that went SCF-SC to the verge of another conference final more than makes up for the series loss. But... the Pens should have more shots at it over the next several years, and if they flop in the playoffs next season, of course you'd look at a coaching change. That's what championship franchises do.

Oh yeah, the year after the Sabres went ECF-ECF, they missed the playoffs. Ruff also followed a SCF season by squeaking into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and getting bounced by the Flyers in the first round.

There's a certain stench that is beginning to waft around this board, and I don't like it. What the Sabres just did, and what the Penguins just did... not even in the same league.

Not sure but I believe that Bylsma just won a cup with Pittsburgh last year. If LR won Buffalo a cup he would have a statue erected out front of HSBC and there would be hundreds of children growning up in Buffalo with the first name of Lindy.

So you're saying because the Pens won a Cup in 2009, losing to a team completely inferior to your own in 2010 is "OK", because you bought that right in 09? I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking.

What the Sabres just did, and what the Penguins just did... not even in the same league.

Completely disagree with you on this part. What the Sabres did wasn't anywhere near as bad as what the Penguins just did. The Sabres were awful, and I am still embarrassed and upset over it. But we all knew the Sabres of 2010 were likely not well constructed to begin with. Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin and a roster that is better than the Sabres at virtually every position... and just lost to a team that finished 4th in the Sabres division. That is unacceptable from my perspective, and Bylsma would be on the street today if I were Mario. I can't say I am a "Lindy Lover", but I have never seen him be given talent like Bylsma just lost with. If Lindy lost to the Bruins with that Penguin roster, I think he WOULD have been fired (but maybe I'm giving Quinn too much credit).

The team Lindy took to the SCFs was not as good as this Montreal team. The difference was that they played with emotion, not unlike how the Habs are playing right now. I think that was the last Lindy team to actually play with heart. I think both the Sabres and the Penguins thought they were too talented to fail and forgot that they actually had to try.

Wow, what a statement this is! I am actually blown away by it. But before I respond, I want to think a little more about it. My initial impression is that the 2006 Sabres would have "wiped the ice" with the 2010 Canadiens. To say they weren't as good is shocking to me - but again, want to think about it a little bit. To me you seem to be seriously overrating the 2010 Habs or seriously underrating the 2006 Sabres (which I still think was a Stanley Cup winner if the D stayed healthy).

Jacks, you are missing what swamp said - the SCF team of 99 is what he is referring to, and I think I agree with him. The 2006 team would have run away won the cup but for a damn staph infection.

Jacks, you are missing what swamp said - the SCF team of 99 is what he is referring to, and I think I agree with him. The 2006 team would have run away won the cup but for a damn staph infection.

Got it. I re-read it and I understand now. Less shocked, for sure, at that statement about the '99 team.

Completely disagree with you on this part. What the Sabres did wasn't anywhere near as bad as what the Penguins just did. The Sabres were awful, and I am still embarrassed and upset over it. But we all knew the Sabres of 2010 were likely not well constructed to begin with. Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin and a roster that is better than the Sabres at virtually every position... and just lost to a team that finished 4th in the Sabres division. That is unacceptable from my perspective, and Bylsma would be on the street today if I were Mario. I can't say I am a "Lindy Lover", but I have never seen him be given talent like Bylsma just lost with. If Lindy lost to the Bruins with that Penguin roster, I think he WOULD have been fired (but maybe I'm giving Quinn too much credit).

Sorry for my murky writing. By "just did," I meant that the Penguins went to the final, lost, went back, won, then made the playoffs and won a round and led the next round 3-2 before perhaps hitting an understandable wall. The Sabres missed the playoffs, missed the playoffs, won their division and flamed out in the first round. To me, what the Sabres just did is worse. And by just did I mean... never mind!

Got it. I re-read it and I understand now. Less shocked, for sure, at that statement about the '99 team.

I actually think they are on par with the 07 team as well.

I still get a kick out of people saying that we were a lock for the SC if not for an infected leg. The Oilers were a pretty darn good team and took Carolina to a game seven. There was nothing definite about it. But if that's what you need to tell yourself to feel good then god bless you and enjoy another 14 years of Lindy and Darcy.

(The more time that passes the more sour I get, I really have to take SS off of my home page.)

Don't lose site of the fact that Montreal has a hot goalie...and they needed him. He stoned the Pens time after time. With as much offensive firepower as Pittsburgh has, they had to be completely frustrated at not being able to score on Halak. In fact, as tired as the Habs looked last night (and I think they did look worn down). Pittsburgh also looked tired. They also were wound way too tight and it showed in the first period. But I digress.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Sabres. who had a shaky second half of the season got exposed for what they really were in the first round: a talented team with a lack of intensity. Boston coasted through most of the regular season and then turned up the heat in the playoffs. (As an aside, now the Flyers have turned the tables and are now showing more intensity than the Bruins. Unless the Bruins wake up ticked off tomorrow and bring that to the rink, the Flyers are going to advance).

I think he gets the pass b/c of the Stanley Cup. Boudreau should get canned though.

I still get a kick out of people saying that we were a lock for the SC if not for an infected leg. The Oilers were a pretty darn good team and took Carolina to a game seven. There was nothing definite about it. But if that's what you need to tell yourself to feel good then god bless you and enjoy another 14 years of Lindy and Darcy.

(The more time that passes the more sour I get, I really have to take SS off of my home page.)

It's not your "sour-ness" on the Sabres that shocks me HALF as much as your seeming "regard" for the 2010 Habs.

Ruff also followed a SCF season by squeaking into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and getting bounced by the Flyers in the first round.

I'm sure that having Hasek play 29 less games that season due to injury and likely not being 100% upon returning for the playoffs had nothing to do with it. They did beat the Flyers in six the next season before going to a game 7 OT with a Lemieux Penguins team when Hasek was healthy again.

It's not your "sour-ness" on the Sabres that shocks me HALF as much as your seeming "regard" for the 2010 Habs.

I'll just say this because I think it is important, Gill, Gionta, Gomez have all won a cup before. Spacek has played for one. There may be more but that is just off the top of my head. It makes a big difference this time of year.

It also doesn't hurt that Camelleri, Gorges, and Halak are all playing great hockey.

Some of us did.

Darcy though, believed they were well constructed, and the question remains - Does he still believe that?

I for one believe talk is cheap, and he and Quinn can shove their press-conference and crocodile tears where the sun don't shine for all I care.

Actions speak volumes.

Oilers would have won the cup too if not for a huge meltdown in game 1.

Up 3-0 only to give up 4 straight goals. Lost 5-4.

Didn't the Oilers lose their starting goalie in that game.

Wiki

In Game 1, Carolina tied the biggest comeback in Stanley Cup Finals history, overcoming a three-goal deficit to win, 5–4. Edmonton scored first, 8:18 into the first period, with a goal from Fernando Pisani. In the second period, Chris Pronger scored the first penalty shot goal in Stanley Cup Finals history after defenceman Niclas Wallin illegally covered the puck inside his own goal crease, and Ethan Moreau's goal at 16:23 gave the Oilers a 3–0 lead. But at the 17:17 mark, Rod Brind'Amour scored the Hurricanes' first goal of the game. Carolina then tied the game in the third period with two scores by Ray Whitney. The Hurricanes jumped ahead, 4–3, on a shorthanded goal by Justin Williams, but Edmonton's Ales Hemsky scored on a power play to tie the game with 6:29 remaining. Late in the final period, Oilers goalie Dwayne Roloson suffered a series-ending knee injury in a collision and was replaced with Ty Conklin. With 32 seconds to go in regulation, Conklin misplayed the puck, and it deflected off Jason Smith's stick to the front of the empty net, allowing Brind'Amour to score the winning goal.

I'll just say this because I think it is important, Gill, Gionta, Gomez have all won a cup before. Spacek has played for one. There may be more but that is just off the top of my head. It makes a big difference this time of year.

It also doesn't hurt that Camelleri, Gorges, and Halak are all playing great hockey.

Excuse me while I digress from the thread topic.

While it was said in another thread that Marion Hossa might go 0-3 for a third straight year in the SCF (if Chicago goes that far), I would not put it past the Habs to get their 25th Stanley Cup this year thanks in part to Hal Gill. I can't remember if the Pens let him go last year after winning the Cup or if he wanted a change of scenery, but that's the kind of guy I wish the Sabres could acquire.

Some of us did.

Darcy though, believed they were well constructed, and the question remains - Does he still believe that?

I for one believe talk is cheap, and he and Quinn can shove their press-conference and crocodile tears where the sun don't shine for all I care.

Actions speak volumes.

:thumbsup:

It would be tough to do more with less than what Lindy did this season.

It would be tough to do less with more than what Bylsma did this season.

All that talent, all the breaks, and the best the Pens could do was finish second in their division, one point ahead of Buffalo, and advance one round further than Buffalo did? (And don't kid yourselves, you'd be just as angry if the Sabres went out in the second round.)

It would be tough to do more with less than what Lindy did this season.

It would be tough to do less with more than what Bylsma did this season.

All that talent, all the breaks, and the best the Pens could do was finish second in their division, one point ahead of Buffalo, and advance one round further than Buffalo did? (And don't kid yourselves, you'd be just as angry if the Sabres went out in the second round.)

Here's a huge difference between Buffalo and the Pens - The Pens playing a extra month and a half than the Sabres did the past two years.

Could it be they're just out of gas, and perhaps not quite as hungry as they were last season after losing to Detroit?

Detroit's out too, you know, and had to go 7 games just to get to round 2.

Archived