Lindy vs Bylsma - Discussion

ntjacks79

It would be tough to do more with less than what Lindy did this season.

It would be tough to do less with more than what Bylsma did this season.

All that talent, all the breaks, and the best the Pens could do was finish second in their division, one point ahead of Buffalo, and advance one round further than Buffalo did? (And don't kid yourselves, you'd be just as angry if the Sabres went out in the second round.)

Now I recognize your voice. You're the guy who yells "Bella-CHICK sucks!" from the tunnel end zone right before puking on a Jill.

Here's a huge difference between Buffalo and the Pens - The Pens playing a extra month and a half than the Sabres did the past two years.

Could it be they're just out of gas, and perhaps not quite as hungry as they were last season after losing to Detroit?

Detroit's out too, you know, and had to go 7 games just to get to round 2.

Yeah, and Miller played a few games more than Fleury and Howard did this year. No excuses for Pittsburgh.

It would be tough to do more with less than what Lindy did this season.

Not sure if I agree with this.

It would be tough to do less with more than what Bylsma did this season.

Not sure if I agree with this either.

All that talent, all the breaks, and the best the Pens could do was finish second in their division, one point ahead of Buffalo, and advance one round further than Buffalo did? (And don't kid yourselves, you'd be just as angry if the Sabres went out in the second round.)

Fluery is the only reason I don't really agree with this either.

Here's a huge difference between Buffalo and the Pens - The Pens playing a extra month and a half than the Sabres did the past two years.

Could it be they're just out of gas, and perhaps not quite as hungry as they were last season after losing to Detroit?

Now this has some merit. We'll also see how long it takes the Pens to do something about it if it happens next year. I'm positive they won't wait fourteen years to make a change if it doesn't work.

Not sure if I agree with this.

Not sure if I agree with this either.

I think Eleven's statements are true and obvious. You're not sure you agree with them (I think it's because you hate Lindy so much you can't see through the trees anymore :rolleyes: ). But that's why I started this thread...

+1

I think Eleven's statements are true and obvious. You're not sure you agree with them (I think it's because you hate Lindy so much you can't see through the trees anymore :rolleyes: ). But that's why I started this thread...

Let's poll the Pens and see how many would swap Bylsma for Ruff.

/thread

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about Lindy Ruff, and I know it's a "hot topic". For those of you who are "Anti-Lindy", let me ask you a question. If the Buffalo Sabres roster was EXACTLY the same as the current Pittsburgh Penguins roster, and the boys in blue and gold just lost a playoff series in 7 games to the 2009-2010 Montreal Canadiens, what would you be saying right now about Lindy Ruff? I would bet the sentiment would be "Drawn and Quartered" is too good for Lindy. You CANNOT lose a playoff series with the roster the Penguins have to the 2009-2010 edition of the Montreal Canadiens. Completely unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, Bylsma should be immediately fired. Lindy Ruff has NEVER done anything as grievous as Dan Bylsma just did. Those are my thoughts... discuss.

How would feel if the Sabres won the Cup last year and lost in the 2nd round this year?

I absolutely do not hate Ruff, but there are definite holes in his coaching style that a decade+ of watching has showed me he is not going to fix. And I'm not willing to let my sentimentality get in the way of letting him go.

We hear the words potential and underachieve all the time when talking about the Sabres. By the very definition of those terms, he could have gotten more out of what he had.

As far as Bylsma, with the rancid play of Fluery, I think they got as far as they could.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about Lindy Ruff, and I know it's a "hot topic". For those of you who are "Anti-Lindy", let me ask you a question. If the Buffalo Sabres roster was EXACTLY the same as the current Pittsburgh Penguins roster, and the boys in blue and gold just lost a playoff series in 7 games to the 2009-2010 Montreal Canadiens, what would you be saying right now about Lindy Ruff? I would bet the sentiment would be "Drawn and Quartered" is too good for Lindy. You CANNOT lose a playoff series with the roster the Penguins have to the 2009-2010 edition of the Montreal Canadiens. Completely unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, Bylsma should be immediately fired. Lindy Ruff has NEVER done anything as grievous as Dan Bylsma just did. Those are my thoughts... discuss.

Well, I'll throw in the fact that as a fan, you cannot compare the 2 based on a singular assesment of losing a playoff series with that roster. The reasoning is simplistic in its very nature ntjacks79 (graduated there myself).

Buffalo has never won a Stanley Cup period, end of conversation even before it starts. Pittsburg, on the other hand, just won 1 last year, and it wasn't their first.

I think the larger picture to bare in mind on Lindy is he has been here 13 years, and no Stanley Cup. You don't GM/Coach/Play the game for second place. 13 seasons is more than long enough.

Personally, I like Lindy, but enough is enough, him and Regier have more than worn out their time here. Lindy's system is not successful, its been proven.

I absolutely do not hate Ruff, but there are definite holes in his coaching style that a decade+ of watching has showed me he is not going to fix. And I'm not willing to let my sentimentality get in the way of letting him go.

We hear the words potential and underachieve all the time when talking about the Sabres. By the very definition of those terms, he could have gotten more out of what he had.

As far as Bylsma, with the rancid play of Fluery, I think they got as far as they could.

QFT

Also, he's never going to learn how to coach a power play, that much is obvious.

And I don't give a damn if McCutcheon is actually coaching the so-called PP, Lindy's the head coach, and if the PP coach can't it done, it's the head coach's responsibility to take charge.

With what I've seen over the years though, I feel confident Ruff is the one pulling the strings here.

The Sabres overachieved, not underachieved, this year. At the beginning of the season, how many posters picked them to win the division? (I think the answer is one.) Don't let the incredible disappointment of a first-round exit define the season.

The Sabres overachieved, not underachieved, this year. At the beginning of the season, how many posters picked them to win the division? (I think the answer is one.) Don't let the incredible disappointment of a first-round exit define the season.

While I agree that winning the division, and a playoff spot sercured must be considered overachieving with this team, I still have a hard time being pleased about it.

The Sabres problems are common knowledge, have been for years, and yet we're supposed to feel happy Ryan decided to carry the team on his back to a playoff spot?

Sorry, something must be wrong with me, cause I don't think that way.

I'd have felt a lot happier if Regier decided to work for a living last summer and pulled this lazy, gutless team apart and started rebuilding for the NHL as it looks today, and not 4 years ago. Even if that meant missing the playoffs again.

Or better yet, resign his position as GM.

I'm really not disappointed in their early exit. In fact, I'm rather quite emotionless about it because it wasn't a surprise. And I certainly don't let it define the season. I let a horrible PP, not being able to clear our zone, shooting from behind the opposing goal line, incomplete passes in the neutral zone, and Miller Standing on his head and then weathering the storm against 25 shots in the third define it for me.

This team did not overachieve. Their record was as good as it was for one reason, Ryan Miller. With a few exceptions, everyone else underachieved.

I'm really not disappointed in their early exit. In fact, I'm rather quite emotionless about it because it wasn't a surprise. And I certainly don't let it define the season. I let a horrible PP, not being able to clear our zone, shooting from behind the opposing goal line, incomplete passes in the neutral zone, and Miller Standing on his head and then weathering the storm against 25 shots in the third define it for me.

This team did not overachieve. Their record was as good as it was for one reason, Ryan Miller. With a few exceptions, everyone else underachieved.

Perfectly stated! :worthy:

Totally disagree. Even with Miller, winning the division was a surprise to me.

So they overachieved relative to what some fans on a message board thought.

It's a weird season to figure out. First half, leading up to that West coast trip, they were near the top of the league in points, IIRC. Second half, extrapolated over a full season, they were barely a playoff team. The third half, the playoffs, was a continuation of second half woes.

First half: 26-11-4 (on way to 30-11-6)

Second half: 19-16-6

Playoffs: 2-4

With Montreal and Philly facing off for a berth in the final, I have a hard time coming down on the "overachieve" side.

So they overachieved relative to what some fans on a message board thought.

It's a weird season to figure out. First half, leading up to that West coast trip, they were near the top of the league in points, IIRC. Second half, extrapolated over a full season, they were barely a playoff team. The third half, the playoffs, was a continuation of second half woes.

First half: 26-11-4 (on way to 30-11-6)

Second half: 19-16-6

Playoffs: 2-4

With Montreal and Philly facing off for a berth in the final, I have a hard time coming down on the "overachieve" side.

That, it is. I mean, a healthy Vanek and Hecht and a rested Miller, and maybe we're not even having this discussion. Maybe we're focused on watching the Sabres in the third round instead. Or maybe the team still loses in the first round.

I wouldn't say that they overachieved only relative to what we thought. I doubt that many experts, players around the league, coaches around the league, etc. picked the Sabres to win the Northeast in September. Now, if they didn't overachieve relative to what everyone thought of the team in January, well, that's a different thing altogether. There, I'd have to agree. But to conceive that this roster would win the division--before the season started? You would have used your blue-and-gold glasses phrase again.

Totally disagree. Even with Miller, winning the division was a surprise to me.

It's interesting that two people can come to such different conclusions about this season, but,.. um,.. you're wrong. :lol:

Well, I'll throw in the fact that as a fan, you cannot compare the 2 based on a singular assesment of losing a playoff series with that roster. The reasoning is simplistic in its very nature ntjacks79 (graduated there myself).

Buffalo has never won a Stanley Cup period, end of conversation even before it starts. Pittsburg, on the other hand, just won 1 last year, and it wasn't their first.

I think the larger picture to bare in mind on Lindy is he has been here 13 years, and no Stanley Cup. You don't GM/Coach/Play the game for second place. 13 seasons is more than long enough.

Personally, I like Lindy, but enough is enough, him and Regier have more than worn out their time here. Lindy's system is not successful, its been proven.

Since we're throwing insults around, I think it's pretty simplistic to say that if you don't win a Cup in 13 seasons, you should be fired, no matter what you're given to work with, and if you're given an All-Star team it's OK to lose to an inferior team because you won it last year.

Since we're throwing insults around, I think it's pretty simplistic to say that if you don't win a Cup in 13 seasons, you should be fired, no matter what you're given to work with, and if you're given an All-Star team it's OK to lose to an inferior team because you won it last year.

All four that are teams left have had a coaching change within the last two seasons. Every team that has won a Stanley Cup since Lindy took office has had a coaching change since Lindy took office. All reasoning aside, I'm just ready for a change. It's time. I don't want to end up as bored with the Sabres as I am with the Bills and right now it's getting close.

Archived