Should the Sabres look for a 4th liner who can fight?

LabattBlue

I am not talking about another Peters who needed double runners when stepping on the ice and was a joke when it came to fighting, but a guy who is willing to fight at a moments notice and can also skate a regular shift without embarrassing himself.

Yes. I think he might already be in the system. I'm not sure whether Kassian is ready for the NHL yet, though.

I have been wondering if the Sabres would give him the 10 game tryout if he shows anything in training camp or send him back to the OHL regardless of how he plays?

It seems like there is a recent trend of more and more 18 and 19 year olds making the jump from juniors to the NHL when they still have junior eligibility left.

I have been wondering if the Sabres would give him the 10 game tryout if he shows anything in training camp or send him back to the OHL regardless of how he plays?

It seems like there is a recent trend of more and more 18 and 19 year olds making the jump from juniors to the NHL when they still have junior eligibility left.

If he shows up in camp, I think he'll get a shot. He's a potential upgrade over any player on the fourth line right now.

I thought the Sabres were allowed to assign him to Portland next season--am I incorrect?

I am not talking about another Peters who needed double runners when stepping on the ice and was a joke when it came to fighting, but a guy who is willing to fight at a moments notice and can also skate a regular shift without embarrassing himself.

Brad May? I'm not sure if his game is strong enough but his fists still are. I doubt you'd see guys like Chris Phillips hitting Miller behind the net if May is on our bench. His presence would go a long way in the room, he's won a cup and his wife is from Buffalo.

A little nostalgia:

McCormick? Instead of mair or Ellis...

From a fighting standpoint, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Mair(I'm turning the page on him) and Ellis while he works hard, is just another guy and definitely not a fighter. Now that I said that, I should probably expect both Mair and Ellis to be back next year.

From a fighting standpoint, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Mair(I'm turning the page on him) and Ellis while he works hard, is just another guy and definitely not a fighter. Now that I said that, I should probably expect both Mair and Ellis to be back next year.

One or both should be gone or at least a regular scratch. There's no reason not to give McCormick a shot. We know the limits for Mair and Ellis, and hey, they're great guys, but let's see what McCormick can do for the team.

Why not go after a restricted free agent like Carcillo? I would LOVE to have someone like him on this team. Bring up Kassian after the 2010 season and we win the Cup in 2011/2012 after acquiring a top line Center. I don't think this is at at unrealistic after dealing Connolly and Stafford - done and done.

Why not go after a restricted free agent like Carcillo? I would LOVE to have someone like him on this team. Bring up Kassian after the 2010 season and we win the Cup in 2011/2012 after acquiring a top line Center. I don't think this is at at unrealistic after dealing Connolly and Stafford - done and done.

The key thing about winning a Cup in the near future is that Miller is entering the prime of his career. DR can't keep waiting for the same guys to mature. The playoffs were a major failure! If he doesn't realize that now is the time to retool the team, they will be treading water forever.

Out - Tallinder, Connolly, Stafford, Mair and Lalime.

In - TBD?

The key thing about winning a Cup in the near future is that Miller is entering the prime of his career. DR can't keep waiting for the same guys to mature. The playoffs were a major failure! If he doesn't realize that now is the time to retool the team, they will be treading water forever.

Out - Ruff, Tallinder, Connolly, Stafford, Mair and Lalime.

In - TBD?

fixed.

The reason more junior aged players seem to be making the jump to the nhl is the salary cap.I'd rather have toughness throughout the lineup then to waste a roster spot on a goon.

Re-read my post

...but a guy who is willing to fight at a moments notice and can also skate a regular shift without embarrassing himself.

The key thing about winning a Cup in the near future is that Miller is entering the prime of his career.

The Sabres need to do something while Miller is in his prime. It is a matter of say 4-5 years before Miller will have to get the good ol' hip surgery that seems to get a majority of goalies now a days.

I agree that if they get a fighter he still has to produce in both ends of the rink and not be a liability. Of course the ideal type would be a less talented Milan Lucic if it is to be a 4th liner. Lucic can score and is a good fighter. I dont think Buffalo will go that route though. The FO feels they have enough fighting ability with Rivet, Capt. Turtle Kaleta, Mair etc. Hopefully Kassian can add that element to the team.

I don't think so, but I will wait for one of our resident experts to confirm.

He is not eligible to go to Portland for another year due to his birthday. It is why Ennis could go to Portland and Myers couldn't this year. I am not sure the actual cutoff for the birthday.

McCormick? Instead of mair or Ellis...

Yes, please.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well he played, in the playoffs no less.

He's an instant upgrade to both Mair and Ellis, and will drop them at anytime.

While I'd like a few players with a little more nastiness to their game, from what I've seen/read Carcillo is a walking (skating) bad penalty. He's one of those guys that doesn't know when to turn it down due to the situation.

Is it wrong that I would prefer a 1st or 2nd liner who can fight? Is there anyone else on this board that would be willing to overpay for a player like that? I mean a legit forward with a scoring touch and a heavyweight punch. I know they are rare. I sure would love to see one in a Sabres uniform.

Is it wrong that I would prefer a 1st or 2nd liner who can fight? Is there anyone else on this board that would be willing to overpay for a player like that? I mean a legit forward with a scoring touch and a heavyweight punch. I know they are rare. I sure would love to see one in a Sabres uniform.

Of course, I'd love that, too, but I'd be happy just to have some 1st or 2nd liners who are willing and able to use their bodies. I'm sick of watching our top guys let the opposing forwards go in and then try to poke the puck away. They don't have to be 6'4" or 200 PIM players, just guys who'd never be mentioned in the same sentence as "soft". Hmmm ... maybe wishful thinking?

I wouldn't mind one, but the trouble with that is, you might see one of your best players in the box for 5 minutes. A role-player in the box for 5 minutes is much easier to bear.

Archived