Should the Sabres look for a 4th liner who can fight?

LabattBlue

I am not talking about another Peters who needed double runners when stepping on the ice and was a joke when it came to fighting, but a guy who is willing to fight at a moments notice and can also skate a regular shift without embarrassing himself.

I believe we have that guy in the system already with Zac Kassian.

As long as Darcy forgets the 160 games in the minors rule.

He can fight and score.

Remind me again how having a fighter on a team has actually contributed to winning a Stanley Cup?

Facts only please, no speculation.

Blue isn't looking for a fighter. He's looking for a fourth-liner who can fight. Not the same thing, and I'm not sure your question fits.

I don't want a pure fighter. I don't want Peters or Maguire. But a fourth-liner who actually can fight might be nice. Cup-winning teams have had those pure-fighter guys, you know, like McSorley, or MacTavish. But the better model, IMO, is a guy like Claude Lemieux.

Blue isn't looking for a fighter. He's looking for a fourth-liner who can fight. Not the same thing, and I'm not sure your question fits.

I don't want a pure fighter. I don't want Peters or Maguire. But a fourth-liner who actually can fight might be nice. Cup-winning teams have had those pure-fighter guys, you know, like McSorley, or MacTavish. But the better model, IMO, is a guy like Claude Lemieux.

You are joking, right? Lemieux was a great playoff performer who turned himself into a pretty good hockey player but he was no fighter.

Patrick Kaleta may turn into a close impersonation if he can stay healthy.

You are joking, right? Lemieux was a great playoff performer who turned himself into a pretty good hockey player but he was no fighter.

Patrick Kaleta may turn into a close impersonation if he can stay healthy.

I know Lemieux sometimes turtled (a la Kaleta), but when inspired, well:

The criterion (per Blue's question) isn't "will he always fight," it's "can he fight?"

I'm willing to bet that certain other players had a lot more to do with those cups than a guy like McSorley or MacTavish did. I'm drawing a blank on their names though.

I'm willing to bet that certain other players had a lot more to do with those cups than a guy like McSorley or MacTavish did. I'm drawing a blank on their names though.

You must be thinking of Esa Tikkanen.

Seriously, though, there was a reason Gretzky usually wasn't touched.

You must be thinking of Esa Tikkanen.

Seriously, though, there was a reason Gretzky usually wasn't touched.

Very true, but picking the team with a couple thousand Hall of Famers as your example of how to win with a big fighter in the lineup... yeah, probably not the best of examples.

I'm hoping Kassian pans out. He can definitely fight if need be and the rest is up to him if he wants to be here. He's got "it" in him, he just needs to put 110% into his development. On the other hand, Evander Kane is exactly the type of player this team needs. The kid can't even legally drink in his own country yet. He is someone to watch next season.

Archived