Why did Buffalo Lose to Boston in the first round

Jman04644

There are three reasons why we lost.

1)Powerplay 0-19 makes me sick, I think Boston had more shorthanded breakaways than we had scoring chances on the powerplay. Watching our power play made me angry, the passing was god awful. I love the Sabres to death as I wached most of them come up through Rochester but we have to do better on the PP.

2) After going 30-0 (estimate) in the regular season when leading after two periods, you can't lose two out of the 4 games when leading after two periods not to mention we blew a two goal and three goal leads.

3) The huge thing that killed us was the Boston Forecheeck it seemed as though everytime they dumpmed the puck in the offensive zone they would come up with it. They won every battle every loss puck and every scrum. I size and speed killed us, I hear some say the toughness of our team but we did out hit them in almost every game. We need to be stronger on the puck in our defensive zone if we want to make it past the first round next year.

We have a great team and I believe in them. The loss is hard to swallow as I really thought we had a chance to win this season.

There are three reasons why we lost.

1)Powerplay 0-19 makes me sick, I think Boston had more shorthanded breakaways than we had scoring chances on the powerplay. Watching our power play made me angry, the passing was god awful. I love the Sabres to death as I wached most of them come up through Rochester but we have to do better on the PP.

2) After going 30-0 (estimate) in the regular season when leading after two periods, you can't lose two out of the 4 games when leading after two periods not to mention we blew a two goal and three goal leads.

3) The huge thing that killed us was the Boston Forecheeck it seemed as though everytime they dumpmed the puck in the offensive zone they would come up with it. They won every battle every loss puck and every scrum. I size and speed killed us, I hear some say the toughness of our team but we did out hit them in almost every game. We need to be stronger on the puck in our defensive zone if we want to make it past the first round next year.

We have a great team and I believe in them. The loss is hard to swallow as I really thought we had a chance to win this season.

The last part i agree with but, i feel were still a couple pieces away from being elite and making a run. We need a solid top 6. Stafford is going to cut it anymore. And i dont feel he's ever been worthy of top line status to begin with. When he's on, he's great. But you dont see that too often. We need to replace Stafford and another top guy to make the scoring line's stronger.

The powerplay was abysmal. And really just a joke. But hey, how long has it been garbage? 2 or 3 seasons now?

Losing the 30-0 stat is just a loss of confidence, and mental focus which really shows the lack of leadership within the team. Simply put, the guys with that should adhere to the highest sense of accountabilty, either didn't say or do the right things, or didn't care enough to do so. I have no doubt that the locker room might've been overjoyed with those leads going into the third in both losses.

The B's outworked us in 80 percent of the battles. Theres nothing more to say.

The loss didn't bother me because i felt we were dead after the 1st OT in game 4. If we'd won that 2nd OT, the series would've changed dramatically. The loss the following monday seeme all but certain, and if it wasn't for Millers courageous gesture at the end of the game, i wouldn't of even watched the pansies shake hands with the Bruins.

The two-hander on Vanek was a turning point in the series.

+1. And the Boston media nevertheless had the nerve to call Paul Gaustad's slash on Chara a "cheap shot"... ignoring the obvious fact that a Bruin cheap shot of a much worse variety won the series for them.

The powerplay was abysmal. And really just a joke. But hey, how long has it been garbage? 2 or 3 seasons now?

Losing the 30-0 stat is just a loss of confidence, and mental focus which really shows the lack of leadership within the team. Simply put, the guys with that should adhere to the highest sense of accountabilty, either didn't say or do the right things, or didn't care enough to do so. I have no doubt that the locker room might've been overjoyed with those leads going into the third in both losses.

The B's outworked us in 80 percent of the battles. Theres nothing more to say.

The loss didn't bother me because i felt we were dead after the 1st OT in game 4. If we'd won that 2nd OT, the series would've changed dramatically. The loss the following monday seeme all but certain, and if it wasn't for Millers courageous gesture at the end of the game, i wouldn't of even watched the pansies shake hands with the Bruins.

Excellant points although even with all the attributing factors you mention I agree with it still comes down to what he said below.

The two-hander on Vanek was a turning point in the series.

QFT

+1. And the Boston media nevertheless had the nerve to call Paul Gaustad's slash on Chara a "cheap shot"... ignoring the obvious fact that a Bruin cheap shot of a much worse variety won the series for them.

I recall this one as well because it was punctuated with a profanity laced tirade at my TV set at the time, worse piece of rose colored glasses, Horsesh!t, !@$#@!&*%$@!, fradrada I heard in the playoffs.

Excellant points although even with all the attributing factors you mention I agree with it still comes down to what he said below.

QFT

I recall this one as well because it was punctuated with a profanity laced tirade at my TV set at the time, worse piece of rose colored glasses, Horsesh!t, !@$#@!&*%$@!, fradrada I heard in the playoffs.

If it makes you feel any better, I sent Steve Buckley (a Boston Herald writer) a polite yet sarcastic email pointing out the rose-colored glasses being worn inside 495 (a loop around Boston about 50 miles from the city). :thumbsup:

I don't know, but Siobhan is off Idol tonight, fo sho.

I wish we could vote on the Sabres roster the same way they vote on American Idol. Your bottom three for this week... Connolly, Stafford, Roy. Who ya gonna send to safety? :blink:

I wish we could vote on the Sabres roster the same way they vote on American Idol. Your bottom three for this week... Connolly, Stafford, Roy. Who ya gonna send to safety? :blink:

With some of the discussions we have had here, I think that may be the worst idea I have ever heard (and yes, I include my own ramblings in that).

It's been a week... Boston is up 2-0 on Philly in games as I type this. I'll be the first to say it, Buffalo had their faults and played below their level of play, but Boston was simply the best team on the ice. They beat us cause they were better, period.

It's been a week... Boston is up 2-0 on Philly in games as I type this. I'll be the first to say it, Buffalo had their faults and played below their level of play, but Boston was simply the best team on the ice. They beat us cause they were better, period.

Every team needs someone to step up and carry them. In irony of ironies, it was Miro. He has continued to play big in the Flyers series. Miro beat the Sabres, plain and simple. An honorable mention goes to Johnny Boychuk. Myers flattened him in game one. He got more than even thereafter.

If it makes you feel any better, I sent Steve Buckley (a Boston Herald writer) a polite yet sarcastic email pointing out the rose-colored glasses being worn inside 495 (a loop around Boston about 50 miles from the city). :thumbsup:

it's less than 25 miles, but regardless...i estimate only about 10% of hockey fans are objective enough to call out their favorite teams' players for BS plays that result in other teams' players getting injured. sad, but that's probably 10x the number of fans from other major sports that would do the same.

i also think another major reason for the series loss was the lack of willingness for players to go to the net whether they had the puck or not (to screen or pick up rebounds). goose being the lone exception...but still, i think i only saw him there a couple of times (one resulting in a goal). in comparison, i believe tomas holmstrom lives in front of the opponent's goaltender. vanek's getting the hang of it, but a guy like stafford should be making a b-line for the front of the net every time he's in the zone. with a year left on his contract, i can imagine him miraculously putting all the pieces together next year and exceeding 25 goals and 50pts. at which point, darcy will sign him for 5 years at $3.5mil per., followed by a drop to 16/37.

Am I losing my mind or did I read this same exact post last week?

Am I losing my mind or did I see this same exact season last year and the year before that and the...?

(third year in a row I've used this joke)

If losing Vanek, a guy who during the year had threads about him titled "What wrong with Thomas Vanek" and "Thomas Vanish", is why we lost then who cares anyway. Heck, Connolly cost us more points than Vanek was going to get. The OP had it right. Forecheck, Ruff had no answer. PP, Ruff had no answer. Ruff sat Torres. Ruff played Connolly (who ended up with less points than Torres). Couldn't get the puck out of our own zone, again, no answer.

I just hope the NHL changes the rules again, because Ruff sure isn't going to change his system and I can't wait another 12 years for him to get just the right players to play it.

Let's not forget that the Bruins were the first seed in the east last year and they had a spate of injuries all season long. They're truly not a 7th seed, and that damn trap allows them to shut everyone down.

The overachieved last year. They had an absurdly high shooting percentage and there was nowhere to go but down, which is exactly what happened.

The overachieved last year. They had an absurdly high shooting percentage and there was nowhere to go but down, which is exactly what happened.

Ok, you live there so you see them more by default, so I'll give you that.

Archived