Let the battle lines be drawn.

deluca67

Is the problem the talent or how they are being used or coached? I see this off-season being more divisive than any in history. This team spends close to the cap so I don't see ownership as a real excuse. Tom Golisano may be a absentee owner but his checks seem to clear which is all that is needed from him. Larry Quinn? He is to the Sabres what Russ Branyon is to the Bills. A guy in a suit that means nothing.

So, instead of a 100 threads lets try to keep it to just one. Save some server space for SDS. Which is it? Ruff or Regier? Where does the blame belong?

Is the problem the talent or how they are being used or coached? I see this off-season being more divisive than any in history. This team spends close to the cap so I don't see ownership as a real excuse. Tom Golisano may be a absentee owner but his checks seem to clear which is all that is needed from him. Larry Quinn? He is to the Sabres what Russ Branyon is to the Bills. A guy in a suit that means nothing.

So, instead of a 100 threads lets try to keep it to just one. Save some server space for SDS. Which is it? Ruff or Regier? Where does the blame belong?

Both..Blow them up..Time to move on..

Fire Darcy and let the new GM pick his coach. If that guy decides Lindy is his man (with absolutely no pressure from above to keep him), then we find out how much of it was Lindy. If not, we never know, but we see if a chance can improve things.

Fire Darcy and let the new GM pick his coach. If that guy decides Lindy is his man (with absolutely no pressure from above to keep him), then we find out how much of it was Lindy. If not, we never know, but we see if a chance can improve things.

This makes the most sense to me. It almost seems like DR hasn't been paying attention to how the game is being played in the league these days, and keeps giving Ruff these so-called skill guys, while Ruff has adjusted to the system to compensate for the more pre-lock-out style game. And beyond that, DR seems to have lost his touch in selecting players that will fit into a system that, when you look at the kids coming up, seems to work. Torres is an example of this, actually Torres is a sign of a GM completely asleep at the wheel.

Ruff or Regier?

While I think Lindy may have a tendency to "over coach" certain types of players, I seriously contemplated this team without Lindy Ruff at the helm; it was scarier than I had originally imagined.

I'd like to keep Lindy for one more season.

The changes I'd like to see are changes on roster and in supplemental coaching. If Darcy Regier isn't willing to make moves that will better this team, he can go.

The (realistic) changes I'd like to see made this summer are as follows:

-Stripping Rivet of the C

-Resigning Grier and handing him the C

-Bringing in a power play coach. Cunneyworth just got fired in Atlanta. Time to bring him back.

-Bringing up Gerbe and Ennis full time, greater emphasis on using our younger players (more ice time, use in critical moments of games, etc).

The (dream) changes I'd like to see:

-Dumping of TC, Roy and Pommers. They have had their time to prove their worth, and this series was the ultimate litmus test. They have failed. Soft, ineffective and lack of heart. Nothing more has to be said.

-Acquiring a number one center. Brad Richards could be had. He's in the final year of his contract in Dallas at 7.8 million. He's 29, a cup winner and a fantastic offensive force. Dallas may be in a position to shake things up. He's worth taking a run at. If he doesn't work out, we won't be tied down by a longterm contract.

-Getting tougher via trades. Whether it be bringing in a big, physical top six forward, or a hulking defenseman, the Sabres need to toughen up.

-Dumping Stafford for anything.

On a side note, I'd like to mention Vanek. TV really stepped up and had an awesome finish to a disappointing season. He was the only of the Sabres "top six" to prove his worth in the playoffs. I commend him for turning things around and turning things up at the right moment. Paul Hamilton and Koziol were throwing around the word "heroic" on WGR to describe Vanek's performance in the post season. It's hard to argue against that. He played his ###### off in each game he was in, creating scoring opportunities left and right. To come back off his injury and play a game like he did tonight was a huge. His stock has gone up in my book.

This.

To me the problem is clearly the talent. Especially on the back end though there are some weights on the front too. While I think it's great that we have a kid like Myers step up... where's the other support? This rookie is clearly our number 1 DMan... Now somebody tell me who our No. 2 defenceman is?

This makes the most sense to me. It almost seems like DR hasn't been paying attention to how the game is being played in the league these days, and keeps giving Ruff these so-called skill guys, while Ruff has adjusted to the system to compensate for the more pre-lock-out style game. And beyond that, DR seems to have lost his touch in selecting players that will fit into a system that, when you look at the kids coming up, seems to work. Torres is an example of this, actually Torres is a sign of a GM completely asleep at the wheel.

Raffi Torres is your deciding factor? Wow....

Well, me too. But what I saw was a GM who saw a team that was lacking physical play along with goals scored. Raffi was our leading goal scorer when he came aboard. He's a very good two way player with grit and offensive ability.

I fail to see how DR making a move for a player like this shows he doesn't know what he's doing.

Also, how do you explain a player coming from a cellar dwellar to a playoff contender and randomly shitting the bed??

It's the system.

Raffi Torres is your deciding factor? Wow....

Well, me too. But what I saw was a GM who saw a team that was lacking physical play along with goals scored. Raffi was our leading goal scorer when he came aboard. He's a very good two way player with grit and offensive ability.

I fail to see how DR making a move for a player like this shows he doesn't know what he's doing.

Also, how do you explain a player coming from a cellar dwellar to a playoff contender and randomly shitting the bed??

It's the system.

I see. So you're saying on any other team but the Sabres Torres is a superstar. Right.

I see. So you're saying on any other team but the Sabres Torres is a superstar. Right.

I wouldn't say superstar, no.

I just think he wasn't used properly.

I don't think a lot of guys are used properly.

I also have zero NHL coaching experience, so I could definitely be wrong. Just stating my opinion from my work computer... nothing more. ;)

I wouldn't say superstar, no.

I just think he wasn't used properly.

I don't think a lot of guys are used properly.

I also have zero NHL coaching experience, so I could definitely be wrong. Just stating my opinion from my work computer... nothing more. ;)

The idea that he did poorly because of Ruff's system is certainly possible...but then why were the best players on the ice most often our gritty forwards, who also scored goals and bailed out the top 6? Grier...Mair...Kaleta. Seems like it should be right in Raffi's wheelhouse, no?

Lindy can't manage goalies (see Miller's 75 regular season games w/ olympics)

Lindy can't coach power forwards (see Torres, Gaustad, oh..and Bernier's 4 playoff goals in Vancouver)

Lindy condones BS and babies (see Roy, Kaleta)

Lindy is all about the system

Lindy would make a great juniors coach

Darcy is scared

Darcy can't value assets

Darcy just wants to stretch his job as long as possible without taking a real chance

Darcy was a scrawny player and feels they can succeed

Darcy can be pushed over by Quinn

Quinn is a certified sociopath

Quinn is a politician who cares about perception 1st

Quinn is married to the team as part owner

Quinn has probably been naked in a hot tub with some Canisius high school boys

Quinn is the devil

They all work together folks......unless Quinn is gone or fans stop buying tickets, there is no reason for things to change. This group of players is put in place by management and supported by coaching. I don't even blame them.

Buffalo is stuck in sports purgatory

I don't think the blame lies on any one person or people in particular. Did we expect more? Sure. But, go back to this time last year..... did we expect what we actually got this year? No. I like Lindy's defensive game plan, it worked and the players for the most part did what they were supposed to. However, I think that it got stale around midseason and the rest of the teams caught on. I don't think that the defensive style is the way to go for this team. I think a lot of our top scorers got too much criticism for their lack of production because they were hindered by the defensive style. Lindy needs to go back to the style he had with Briere and Drury. Vanek, Roy, Pominville and others proved in the past they can put up the numbers IF they are allowed to play that way. At least mix it up a little bit so teams don't know what to expect. Fans were complaining all season because Roy handled the puck too much..... well, maybe that's what he does best and if the rest of the players were allowed to open it up maybe they would have something to show for it. With Ennis showing he'll probably have a full-time spot next year and possibly Gerbe, it's obvious they aren't going for size. Let's try to win with speed and bring in one or two physical wingers to protect them. I'd like to see Torres stay, his offensive production was poor, but his physical presence would be ideal for a third or fourth line.

Grier needs to be back, so does Patty, Kaleta and Kennedy. Patty put up pretty good numbers this year but had a poor record to show for it because the offensive support was putrid. Everybody talked about bringing Marty back, look at his numbers this year, he made Patty look like an all-star. Montador makes a lot of mistakes, but he also puts in more effort than most Sabres. If it wasn't for him, this series wouldn't have gone 6 games. Mair needs to just go away. I liked him better before he was waived. When BFLO picked him back up, he started playing like he thought he was a scorer and made even more mistakes and took more stupid penalties than before. He's supposed to be an enforcer and I didn't see that the second half of the season. Rivet had a so-so year, but I don't think he can take the workload much longer and IMO Myers shouldn't be worked 25 minutes a game. They're going to wear him out before he even reaches his prime.

I'm not sure about Connolly. I think he is given too much responsibility. Not sure if he really did have a nagging injury that affected his play, or he really was that bad late in the season and playoffs. He still has a year left on his contract, keep him in a more limited role based on his play. Stafford needs to go. It's one thing to go into a 10-15 game slump, but he was completely non-existent for the last 50 games.

We have a goaltender who is good enough where they can take risks by opening up the offense, yet they know the defensive style and can use it when the need arises. Pominville, Roy, Stafford, Vanek, Connolly...... none of them are defensive offensemen. Let them play their game. Make two top scoring lines against less physical teams, and then pair them each up with an enforcer when they play the more physical teams. People like Gerbe and Ennis will need the protection.

The core key elements are there, they just need to be utilized better. I don't think Lindy should take any blame for this because his system worked for a better part of the season. I think it just got old. The Sabres finished as a top 10 scoring team in a year when we all thought the scorers underachieved. Let them do what they do best and there's no reason why they can't be a top 5 scoring team.

Did I miss anything?:D

The idea that he did poorly because of Ruff's system is certainly possible...but then why were the best players on the ice most often our gritty forwards, who also scored goals and bailed out the top 6? Grier...Mair...Kaleta. Seems like it should be right in Raffi's wheelhouse, no?

But that's just it to me. Raffi shouldn't have been considered part of the "bottom six".

19 goals when we got him. We traded Clarke. Why was he a.) not inserted into his spot b.)given time to adjust to his linemates?

I never liked the line juggling that Lindy did. Not that it isn't warranted on occasion, but the frequency with wich it was done to this team is unrealistic.

Maybe I'm on an island here, but it seems to me that we have more guys on this team who have digressed as opposed to guys who have gotten better season to season. Actually, I can't think of anyone whose stats have improved with each year.... that's got to say something.

Since the D/B fiasco I have been asking this be done.

People really need to understand, the product on the ice we watch is that of the GM's. A coach can only do what can be done with the talent pool he has at his disposal. Lindy Ruff was not the problem and is not the problem here. I am no fan of Ruff's, but he is one ###### of a coach, in my opinion, he got alot more out of this rosters talent pool than other coaches could have.

We can analyse the team about lack of size, lack of players finishing, lack of team work, lack of smart passing and the list can go on. But at the end of the day, the roster make up is the responsibility of the GM.

Since the D/B fiasco I have been asking this be done.

People really need to understand, the product on the ice we watch is that of the GM's. A coach can only do what can be done with the talent pool he has at his disposal. Lindy Ruff was not the problem and is not the problem here. I am no fan of Ruff's, but he is one ###### of a coach, in my opinion, he got alot more out of this rosters talent pool than other coaches could have.

We can analyse the team about lack of size, lack of players finishing, lack of team work, lack of smart passing and the list can go on. But at the end of the day, the roster make up is the responsibility of the GM.

That is not my opinion.

Just to throw something into the mix. The Knoxes, God rest their souls, hired winners to run the team. Imlach, who had won Cups in Toronto; Scotty Bowman; John Muckler. Brilliant hockey men with Stanley pedigree. It didn't work, ultimately, but you can't fault ownership for trying.

This franchise is begging for a big, bold splash at the top. Not many of those guys around, but go find the next one. You're telling me future management stars aren't sitting around Pittsburgh and Detroit?

A hockey man, at the top, what a novel idea.

What does that career minor league power hitter have to do with anything?

Anyway, why does the problem have to be one or the other? If this organization truly needs the fresh start that so many people think it needs, the changes need to be complete from top to bottom.

What a wasted golden opportunity when you consider NJ, Ottawa and possibly Washington could be eliminated. The Sabres could have handled a banged up Philly team or the un-physical Habs. I just wish Miller could have flat out stolen game 4 or game 6 like Boucher did for Philly and Halak is doing.

Seemes like Boston was able to roll 4 lines that all played the same way....physical, grinding. Buffalo's top lines are afraid to take the body, it's sad. They will never win in the playoffs with this makeup. I thought overall, Boston was the better team. Even with 6 mins left last night and Buffalo desperate to tie it up, the Bruins were creating the better chances. They deserved it.

Archived