[OT] Car advice

nfreeman

OK, my car is on its deathbed, and as the last remaining human who doesn't own an SUV, I think we are going to take the plunge. I've sorta narrowed it down to the Murano and the Veracruz (but would be grateful for any recommendations on SUVs in that size and price range).

If anyone owns or has owned either of those 2, I'd greatly appreciate any wisdom you could pass along. Thanks.

Well, i dont own one.

But i do have experience driving both vehicles. I used to be a valet. And from my experience the Murano is the better purchase. It has a better mpg rate, its quicker, and its more compact. The Veracruz is alot larger, and bulkier. Its handling is better, but thats about it.

I quess it all comes down to how much room your looking for, and the price.

OK, my car is on its deathbed, and as the last remaining human who doesn't own an SUV, I think we are going to take the plunge. I've sorta narrowed it down to the Murano and the Veracruz (but would be grateful for any recommendations on SUVs in that size and price range).

If anyone owns or has owned either of those 2, I'd greatly appreciate any wisdom you could pass along. Thanks.

I don't own either of these, but here is a link to a Car and Driver magazine comparison:Comparo

I think they kind of like the Murano....

I drive a Murano currently. 2009 model and I love it. Highly recommended. Has plenty of the bells and whistles, is very comfortable, and the back seat is roomy (even for 6+ footers). Cargo area is large, but not huge. Gas mileage is around 20 overall, and I do mostly city driving.

I think they look sharp as well. Mine's silver, black leather interior. PM me if you have any more specific questions. I really have no complaints, and plan to drive it into the ground.

Well, i dont own one.

But i do have experience driving both vehicles. I used to be a valet. And from my experience the Murano is the better purchase. It has a better mpg rate, its quicker, and its more compact. The Veracruz is alot larger, and bulkier. Its handling is better, but thats about it.

I quess it all comes down to how much room your looking for, and the price.

I knew you guys took joy rides!

I sell cars for a living and if I were going to buy one I would buy the Veracuz..The warranty is much better and the safety ratings for any HYundai are through the roof..

How is that resale value? :rolleyes:

I'm on my second Murano and love it. I totaled the first one and want to let you know that the car was excellent in the crash. I didn't even have a scratch.

As stated in other posts, plenty of room and a VERY comfortable touring car. This one has made numerous trips from far West Texas to SW Florida. I'm a big guy (6'3" about 235) and the Murano is about the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. This one is 4 years old and has about 70K miles. Just some minor issues of late (a front wheel bearing) but nothing too major. 20 MPG is what you can expect. I have the Bose sound system and it's very good.

Can't say enough about my Murano(s).

Let me know if you have any additonal questions.

T.

Don't overlook a loaded Rogue. I have an AWD Rogue SL and love it. My first SUV, wife has had two Equinoxes. This handles way better, and I get 24.6 MPG. The Nissan 2.5 with the CVT (no shifting) really gets up and goes for a 4-banger. Check it out, and save yourself quite a bit over the Murano if you'd like.

That only matters if you plan to resell, which not everyone does. Nfreeman already said in his original post that his current vehicle is on its deathbed, so like many smart people he probably plans to drive this new one into the ground as well.

I dont work for a Hyundai dealership so I could care less and my opinion is not self motivated..However if you did your research before you rolled your eyes you would have seen that Hyundai is the 3rd rated manufactur by JD Power and associates in quality and safety only behind BMW and Lexus...

DAHHHH LOUIEEEE.....

My neighbor, an avid car buff, just bought his second Murano. That's the best I can do.

I drive a Murano currently. 2009 model and I love it. Highly recommended. Has plenty of the bells and whistles, is very comfortable, and the back seat is roomy (even for 6+ footers). Cargo area is large, but not huge. Gas mileage is around 20 overall, and I do mostly city driving.

I think they look sharp as well. Mine's silver, black leather interior. PM me if you have any more specific questions. I really have no complaints, and plan to drive it into the ground.

I forgot to mention, this is my second Murano as well. I bought one when they first came out ('04 or '05?) and only replaced it because a damn deer jumped into my path while I was going 55 on the highway.

JEEP > Foreign SUV's

Unfortunately, Jeep's association with Chrysler had some serious effects on its quality. Having owned both pre and post Chryslerized Jeeps, there were noticeable differences.

Don't overlook Subaru. Great quality and performance, and they've improved their styling.

Unfortunately, Jeep's association with Chrysler had some serious effects on its quality. Having owned both pre and post Chryslerized Jeeps, there were noticeable differences.

I've also heard bad things about Jeeps. My old boss had a Grand Cherokee and he was occasionally asking someone at work for a ride to pick it up at the shop. The Liberty looks sharp, but gets horrible gas mileage (somewhere around 17 when I looked at it).

Don't overlook Subaru. Great quality and performance, and they've improved their styling.

The Forester got great reviews and was (I believe) Consumer Reports' top SUV of 2010. They would have had the RAV-4 as #1, but they held off on all the Toyota reviews.

For what it's worth, my wife & I both drive Honda CR-Vs. We get about 23-24 mpg and have had no serious problems...mine's a 2004, hers is a 2005. I'm pushing 100k miles on it and (knock on wood) so far, so good. Fits 5 nicely and has plenty of cargo space.

I have the 08 Veracruz Limited, and I love it. I have owned it about 18 months, about 26,000 miles on it. Only problem I have had to date is the amp on the redio had a problem, but that was all taken care of under warranty. I really like the car and would recommend to anyone. I know we were looking, compared it more to the comparable Lexus, and with the dramatic cost differance really became a no brainer.

That warranty is pretty comforting as well.

That only matters if you plan on selling it before it's (or you're) dead. :)

I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. It was fine and all, but it was starting to get noisy at 75k, at which point I traded it. I drove it like a sports car from time to time, and had it off-off road a few times which could have been a factor.

I traded it on my current 2002 Subaru WRX. Currently has 168400 miles on the odometer, haven't done anything other than the recommended maintenance and an O2 sensor. Everything still works on it (AC, power windows, locks, heater, etc.). Plus it's sporty, practical, and pretty good in the snow. Can't ask for more. The Forrester or Tribeca are more in the neighborhood of the Murano.

don't own any foreign cars. never have and never will.

Thanks for that. US Subarus (for the most part) are built in Indiana (I think), BMWs in South Carolina, Hyundai in Alabama, Toyotas in Kentucky. Do those count? As soon as a US-branded manufacturer makes a car comparable to my Subaru, I'll give them a look. That's how capitalism works. :)

Archived