What Sabres Do You See Elevating Their Game In The Playoffs?

VansTheMans

We all know the playoffs are an entirely different beast from the regular season. The game is played differently, officiated differently and has an entirely different feel.

It requires players to step up, and kick things up another notch. They need to hit that "5th gear", play with heart and give it everything they got.

What Sabres do you see that are capable of this?

I think Myers could be FANTASTIC in the playoffs. I feel like he has that higher gear. He's shown glimpses of physical play this season; I think he'll really develop a mean streak come playoff time. He's shown that he is capable of taking a game over, leading rushes and creating scoring opportunities seemingly at will; hopefully he'll do this more often in the playoffs. He lead his junior team to the finals last season, and even won MVP. If he plays like that in the playoffs this year, we as fans are in for a real treat.

What Sabres do you see elevating their games for the playoffs?

"The Core", "Top Six", "Brat Pack" or what ever else you wish to call them, they are the ones that need to find that next level and play with playoff intensity. This should be the make it or break it time for "The Core." the members of "The Core" that don't show up and step their games up should be gone in the off-season. No more excuses or waiting for them to mature or "arrive." Their future with this organization should solely rely on their performance in this years playoffs. No more time or excuses needed.

Didn't see the thread, my apologies.

Consider this an "update" then. :thumbsup:

I knew I had seen it before. It was more of an exercise in me making sure i wasn't crazy than being on board patrol.

I'm going to update my pick to Stafford and Vanek. If Vanek is healthy enough, I see him getting hot (or at least lukewarm which might be good enough for this team). I'm hoping that the playoffs are the motivation Stafford needs to play the way he is capable of.

I knew I had seen it before. It was more of an exercise in me making sure i wasn't crazy than being on board patrol.

I'm going to update my pick to Stafford and Vanek. If Vanek is healthy enough, I see him getting hot (or at least lukewarm which might be good enough for this team). I'm hoping that the playoffs are the motivation Stafford needs to play the way he is capable of.

:lol: Wishful thinking from us mouse potatoes.

Considering the playoffs were the main reason we got him, I would hope Torres elevates his game a little bit come playoff time. Also, a few goals from Stafford here and there would be nice too. We just can't afford to come out flat in any game, taking into account that's what we've done in our last two games.

I can see Vanek stepping up. He has shown signs in recent weeks. There's a pent-up beast in there.

I lol'd at this. Pent up beast, huh? :lol:

I'm going to update my pick to Stafford and Vanek.

If I could pick 2 players I know won't step up it's these jamokes. Drew Stafford who can't seem to get motivated to try more than once every 20 games or Mr. Vanish who wilted like a fragile flower under the "pressure" of his contract.

This is an interesting question as the core has not seen the playoffs in 3 years and instead of being players with only a couple of years of NHL experience back in 05-06, they now have 5 or 6 years at the NHL level(Gaustad, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Connolly, Miller, etc...)

Who do I BELIEVE will raise their game in the playoffs...

Lydman

Who NEEDS to raise their game if the Sabres are going to be successful in the playoffs...

FAB 5(WIthout consistent scoring from these guys, it will be a short run)

Rivet

The PP units

I lol'd at this. Pent up beast, huh? :lol:

If I could pick 2 players I know won't step up it's these jamokes. Drew Stafford who can't seem to get motivated to try more than once every 20 games or Mr. Vanish who wilted like a fragile flower under the "pressure" of his contract.

Wilted? He has scored 99 goals on this contract. He might have pushed for 50 last season without the injury.

Wilted? He has scored 99 goals on this contract. He might have pushed for 50 last season without the injury.

You are on the money.It should also be noted that about half of Vaneks goals in the last two years got scored on the pp...In a brilliant move Lindy and Darcy made sure they got rid of their pp in the last two off seasons.(changes last off season really hurt) So now we have a prototypical play defense first Lindy team with the other critical cog necessary to success, missing, meaning an adequate pp. How far do you think that we will go with half a game plan on the ice during the playoffs.? Those people who have failed to notice that the pp is missing need to throw stones at somebody so they pick the guy with the highest salary. The power play is gone so that we could get and keep guys like torres, montador, rivet, grier, stafford, hecht and connelly. Kind of a garage sale team. (some of these guys i like but given lindys scheme i had to include anyway)

Did you forget about the season right after the contract was givin, you know, the one where he scored 12 goals in his first 41 games? That doesn't exactly make me think of pressure performer.

Now, guys who I think may step up:

Myers

Lydman

Rivet (where else can he go but up)

Gaustad

Kaleta (if he gets heathly)

Torres

Pominville

Hecht

Well whoever decides to step it up they have 4 games to do it.I'm diehard but I refused to drink the koolaid when it was handed out so I'm doing my best to think realistically and I still don't see any consistency in the way they play their system nor do I see the win at all costs attitude that it takes to win at this time of the year.I can picture the rookies like Ennis or Myers simply because they don't know any better.Gerbe if he gets in will get tossed around being that he's just too small when the going gets rough,and we all know it will get rough.I think Ennis has more creativity to play around this size issue.The vets?who knows.They have'nt shown anything this season to make me think things will change.I would like nothing more than for this team to prove me wrong.

Miller and Myers will step it up. Oh wait their already the only 2 that show up from start to finish right now!

I see TC steping into the spotlight and carrying the O fense. I have no doubt that he is going to regain the magick from 06.

Rivet is a guy i feel will bring his best to the ice as well.

Well whoever decides to step it up they have 4 games to do it.I'm diehard but I refused to drink the koolaid when it was handed out so I'm doing my best to think realistically and I still don't see any consistency in the way they play their system nor do I see the win at all costs attitude that it takes to win at this time of the year.I can picture the rookies like Ennis or Myers simply because they don't know any better.Gerbe if he gets in will get tossed around being that he's just too small when the going gets rough,and we all know it will get rough.I think Ennis has more creativity to play around this size issue.The vets?who knows.They have'nt shown anything this season to make me think things will change.I would like nothing more than for this team to prove me wrong.

+1

I agree, it's not like a switch you can just turn on and expect it to work like instant magic and suddenly transform your team into a competent playoff team. This team needs to play with confidence to succeed because we all have seen the fragile children running around the ice mode.

Last the goal I heard and bought into was to win the Stanley cup not just make the playoffs and I don't think it's being negative to expect the team to play to a level that may at least put them on the right path to accomplishing that.

At this point Stafford can only go up. Question is, is it his playing that goes up or him to the booth?

I believe Mancari, Byron, Enroth, Weber, Gragnani and Brennan will be huge in the playoffs...................oh, oh you meant the Sabres, Ok.

I see Sabretooth really elevating his game during the 2 games that will be played here in Buffalo, Roy will show up for that opening series and Myers and Miller.

Not much else I see happening besides these guys. We might get a Stafford sighting in 1 game, but I doubt it, I've heard he only comes out after some Ruff treatment :rolleyes:

Archived