Magic Number

ntjacks79

Well I'll be dipped in sh##!?!

I think I didn't see this at first because I never think of how to get into the playoffs in terms of what other teams do. I never want to have to count on someone else to do my business. Sabres, just get 6 points and be done with it.

But we need to analyze the doomsday scenarios and other negative results because that is what this board is all about. :D

No. Buffalo loses all 7 games it has left in regulation--finishes with 94. Ottawa goes 3-3("giving" Buffalo 6 points) finishes with 93--Buffalo beats them with the magic 6. But Montreal wins out, gets to 94 and has the tiebreaker, wins the division with 94. So the magic number vis Ottawa currently is 6, and a different magic number for Montreal is 1. Any points Buffalo gets works down both magic numbers. But points "lost" by Ottawa, for example, does nothing to reduce the Sabres magic number vis Montreal, and vice versa. Make sense?

OK, here is the full shooting match.

Sabres magic # to finish in 7th is 0. The B's are in 8th and the best they can do is 94P 41W. Sabres win tie breaker w/ 42W's.

Sabres magic # to finish in 5th (and 6th) is 1. The Habs and Phlyers both top out at 94P w/ 43W & 44W respectively. Sabres lose either tie breaker w/42W's.

Sabres magic # to finish in 3rd is 6. The Otters top out at 99P w/ 47W. Otters win the tie break at any P total either w/ W's or HtH.

Sabres magic # to finish in 2nd is 14. The Pens top out at 107 w/ 50W. Sabres lose tie break at 107 w/ 48W.

Sabres magic # to finish in 4th is a function of the Otters and Devils/Pens. Sabres take 1 from Habs & Phlyers, and <6 from Otters and 13 from the Devils (or 14 from the Pens). Basically, for the Sabres to finish in 4th, they have to falter and so do at least 1 of the 2 leaders in the Patrick.

Sabres magic # to finish is 1st is 28. Unfortunately, there are only 26 left up for grabs between the Caps and Sabres.

Wow! It seemed like a Math class in here for awhile.

Methinks the simplest Math is that with the Sabres having 6 games remaining if in each of them they do NOT lose in regulation they be NE division champs and the rest is - doesn't matter!

We're the most balanced scoring team in the NHL with the world's best goalie. Teams including Ottawa and Washington will get a taste of Sabres in the postseason like they never expected!

As good as Washington is offensively (and they're SCARY good), their fans should be just a tad nervous about the back end. And has anyone checked out their ST stats? Despite having a great PP, their PK ineptitude nearly wipes out that advantage.

What's that they usually say? Defense (and goaltending) wins championships?

I really like where our Sabres are sitting.

With the Montreal loss tonight, the magic number really is officially 4 now, right?

The one I'm watching is 12... Thank you Tampa Bay..

By the way, do you think the Pitt fans are trashing the reputation of their team, their mental toughness, their lack of heart, etc now that they were shutout by Tampa last night? If they behave like Buffalo fans, last night was a monumental collapse...

By the way, do you think the Pitt fans are trashing the reputation of their team, their mental toughness, their lack of heart, etc now that they were shutout by Tampa last night? If they behave like Buffalo fans, last night was a monumental collapse...

So true...really, what do Sabres' fans have to be upset about at the moment? Aside from the blip against Ottawa, this team actually appears to be peaking at the right time, and has the two attributes (D and GT) most crucial to an extended playoff run.

I know we're all Buffalo fans and expect the worst every step of the way...but this is set up to be a fun Spring.

I haven't looked at their message board yet, but I would bet money that this is exactly how they are acting.

With the Montreal loss tonight, the magic number really is officially 4 now, right?

YES! We can now officially say the Magic Number for the NE Division is 4 points... although now everyone seems to have moved on the the 2-seed magic number. :-) I'm actually more concerned about some rest for some guys than the 2-seed.

OK, here is the full shooting match.

Sabres magic # to finish in 7th is 0. The B's are in 8th 7th and the best they can do is 94P 41W. Sabres win tie breaker w/ 42W's.

Sabres magic # to finish in 5th (and 6th) is 1 0. The Habs and Phlyers both top out at 92P and 94P w/ 43W 42W & 44W respectively. Sabres lose either tie breaker w/42W's.

Sabres magic # to finish in 3rd is 6 4. The Otters top out at 99P w/ 47W. Otters win the tie break at any P total either w/ W's or HtH.

Sabres magic # to finish in 2nd is 14 11. The Pens top out at 107 w/ 50W. The Devils top out at 106 w/ 50W. Sabres lose tie break at 107 106 w/ 48W.

Sabres magic # to finish in 4th is a function of the Otters and Devils/Pens. Sabres take 1 from Habs & Phlyers, and <6 <4 from Otters and 13 11 from the Devils (or 14 10 from the Pens). Basically, for the Sabres to finish in 4th, they have to falter and so do at least 1 of the 2 leaders in the Patrick.

Sabres magic # to finish is 1st is 28 25. Unfortunately, there are only 26 24 left up for grabs between the Caps and Sabres.

Updated.

YES! We can now officially say the Magic Number for the NE Division is 4 points... although now everyone seems to have moved on the the 2-seed magic number. :-) I'm actually more concerned about some rest for some guys than the 2-seed.

I really want the #2 seed for home advantage in the 2nd round vs. NJ or Pittsburgh.

So true...really, what do Sabres' fans have to be upset about at the moment? Aside from the blip against Ottawa, this team actually appears to be peaking at the right time, and has the two attributes (D and GT) most crucial to an extended playoff run.

I know we're all Buffalo fans and expect the worst every step of the way...but this is set up to be a fun Spring.

I'll buy most of that. I'm getting excited. But defensively, this team can be a train wreck at times. Parts of the first last night were brutal. Myers needs to clean things up a bit, or more than a bit, moving into the playoffs.

I haven't looked at their message board yet, but I would bet money that this is exactly how they are acting.

I have looked at one Pens message board, and they are not very happy. Maybe not as hyperbolic as we can get, but not happy.

I really want the #2 seed for home advantage in the 2nd round vs. NJ or Pittsburgh.

Seriously. I am really pulling for New Jersey though - living in Pittsburgh I'll be subject to the Pens telecast if we play them and I cannot even think about listening to Bob Errey for that many games.

I've always hated the phrase "peaking at the right time". There is only one time that is the right time to peak and that is the Stanley Cup finals.

And with my worthless comment out of the way, back to the discussion.

They get pretty emphatic too.. most of them were ready to burn down the barn/igloo when the Sabres came back from three goals down in that game Miller got pulled to win with Lalime..

Archived