Phoenix is on fire!

LabattBlue

They have won 6 games in a row and are currently playing the same four southern teams that the Sabres are during the current trip. The only difference being they have already knocked three of them off and only have Florida left.

They weren't pretenders at the deadline as they brought in Stempniak, Morris and Wolski and are currently being rewarded. Does this mean a team can shake up their top 6 and actually end up being better? :doh:

Ummm........I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Darcy didn't think a deal could be made or it was a Sellers market, or there wasn't alot of movement, or no one would talk to the him, or.....................

Well, enough the Darcy excuses. Lets look at what Darcy has said, "Theres always next year" err, he actually said we can make a run next season. I don't understand why this guy has a job. I have been railing against him for a couple of years now.

Pure crap that he is still the GM. He mentioned moves would be coming in the off season Blue, he also stated they are going to look internal, from Portland.

Ok, so, with that in mind, here is who I have ready to crack the lineup:

Mike Weber (DFD) - Ya he's ready, but, why weren't Lydman and Tallinder moved, for anything including picks?

Tyler Ennis © - Well, I guess we'll see if this kid can play next season, why not now? Anyone?

Marc Andre Gragnani (OFD) - Just tearing it up point wise in Portland, he looks ready.

Ok, so, thats my list, 1 DFD, 1 OFD and 1 Center. Some one want to clue me in on where the RWer and LWer are that we are going to need. How about a partially revamped 4th line.

I think Darcy Regier smokes crack more than Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston. The only free agent I can see at a decent age that is impact player this off season is Kovalchuk. He is going to be expensive, and probably hates Lindy anyways.

This just plain sucks. Max looks like he is thriving outside of Lindy's "SYSTEM". Which by the way is what I think is hamstringing this team. I mean, we have no solid contributors, not like other teams. Oh well, heres to hoping they pull it together by the playoffs, if they don't, I'd just as soon trade Miller for a real sweetheart of a package deal.

Ummm........I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Darcy didn't think a deal could be made or it was a Sellers market, or there wasn't alot of movement, or no one would talk to the him, or.....................

Well, enough the Darcy excuses. Lets look at what Darcy has said, "Theres always next year" err, he actually said we can make a run next season. I don't understand why this guy has a job. I have been railing against him for a couple of years now.

Pure crap that he is still the GM. He mentioned moves would be coming in the off season Blue, he also stated they are going to look internal, from Portland.

Mike Weber (DFD) - Ya he's ready, but, why weren't Lydman and Tallinder moved, for anything including picks?

Tyler Ennis © - Well, I guess we'll see if this kid can play next season, why not now? Anyone?

Marc Andre Gragnani (OFD) - Just tearing it up point wise in Portland, he looks ready.

Ok, so, thats my list, 1 DFD, 1 OFD and 1 Center. Some one want to clue me in on where the RWer and LWer are that we are going to need. How about a partially revamped 4th line.

I think Darcy Regier smokes crack more than Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston. The only free agent I can see at a decent age that is impact player this off season is Kovalchuk. He is going to be expensive, and probably hates Lindy anyways.

This just plain sucks. Max looks like he is thriving outside of Lindy's "SYSTEM". Which by the way is what I think is hamstringing this team. I mean, we have no solid contributors, not like other teams. Oh well, heres to hoping they pull it together by the playoffs, if they don't, I'd just as soon trade Miller for a real sweetheart of a package deal.

I've been walking next to it for a while now, but after last night I'm firmly and comfortably seated on the "fire Lindy bandwagon".

The man can't even get his guys ready enough for a game so that they won't be down 2-0 three minutes in.

Top to bottom, it's getting ridiculous.

They weren't pretenders at the deadline as they brought in Stempniak, Morris and Wolski and are currently being rewarded. Does this mean a team can shake up their top 6 and actually end up being better? :doh:

Darcy would tell you he did shake up his top 6 by substituting Torres for Mac. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why this guy has a job.

Quinn isn't going to fire him?

While I wouldn't mind Weber and Ennis in the lineup, Weber's recent visits to Buffalo have been uneventful. Ennis may be ready but a little more seasoning plus an offseason of bulking up could go a long way. I'm still not convinced Gragnani is NHL material.

This just plain sucks. Max looks like he is thriving outside of Lindy's "SYSTEM".

Please stop with the Max stuff.

I've been walking next to it for a while now, but after last night I'm firmly and comfortably seated on the "fire Lindy bandwagon".

The man can't even get his guys ready enough for a game so that they won't be down 2-0 three minutes in.

Top to bottom, it's getting ridiculous.

Tough to argue but I'm not sure how much Lindy has to work with on this roster.

How he ever scored 19 goals is beyond me. Maybe he is still adjusting but outside of an occasional body check he is non-existant.

What more can Torres say? He's all but screamed -- THIS COACH'S SYSTEM SUCKS!!!!

Welcome to the club Kristian. Your new member packet will arrive in your inbox soon.

But are you on the exclusive bandwagon to fire Lindy NOW? It makes perfect sense. H. E. double hockey sticks, Darcy admitted that coaching changes are likely to give a team a short-term bump. It's mid-March. We need that bump to last only till June. What's the problem? There's no downside to firing Ruff right now. He doesn't have a damned thing to do with the strength of this team, Ryan Miller. The goaltending won't change.

Tell me a fresh face behind the bench wouldn't have a better chance of getting this team motivated, getting the offense going and getting the power play turned around than Ruff does?

I'm starting to pull for the monumental collapse again. It's probably the only way this guy is gone.

What more can Torres say? He's all but screamed -- THIS COACH'S SYSTEM SUCKS!!!!

No, he said that he actually has to think and "me no play hockey gud when me have to think" or something like that. I would guess from what I've seen and his stats, that Torres needs someone to set him up, which he's not getting on his current line.

...that Torres needs someone to set him up, which he's not getting on his current line.

What a surprise this is. Maybe Lindy can try him with Mair and Ellis next game. I'm very close to jumping on the "Fire Lindy" the bandwagon(right now I am running behind it), even if these slackers find a way to make it to round 2 of the playoffs.

But are you on the exclusive bandwagon to fire Lindy NOW? It makes perfect sense. H. E. double hockey sticks, Darcy admitted that coaching changes are likely to give a team a short-term bump. It's mid-March. We need that bump to last only till June. What's the problem? There's no downside to firing Ruff right now. He doesn't have a damned thing to do with the strength of this team, Ryan Miller. The goaltending won't change.

Tell me a fresh face behind the bench wouldn't have a better chance of getting this team motivated, getting the offense going and getting the power play turned around than Ruff does?

I'm starting to pull for the monumental collapse again. It's probably the only way this guy is gone.

This.

And yes, I believe he should be let go today, the sooner the better.

No, he said that he actually has to think and "me no play hockey gud when me have to think" or something like that. I would guess from what I've seen and his stats, that Torres needs someone to set him up, which he's not getting on his current line.

Seeing as Vanek isn't getting anyone to set him up on his line either, I would have to call that little stroke of genius part of Lindy's brilliant "system.

What a surprise this is. Maybe Lindy can try him with Mair and Ellis next game. I'm very close to jumping on the "Fire Lindy" the bandwagon(right now I am running behind it), even if these slackers find a way to make it to round 2 of the playoffs.

Yes thats me running behind you, running behind it.

Besides me jumping on the wagon might just be enough to get PA to jump off.

Phoenix is doing this during a bankruptcy and ownership crisis, yet lots of folks "here" will give Darcy and Lindy a pass not only for the season the Sabres went through it, but a season or two afterwards!

The teams were in very different conditions when the bankruptcy/NHL take over took place. We were in that all out rebuilding mode while Phoenix has sucked for years and is ripe with young talent. Does that make it right to give those two a free pass? No, but the two teams are very different.

The teams were in very different conditions when the bankruptcy/NHL take over took place. We were in that all out rebuilding mode while Phoenix has sucked for years and is ripe with young talent. Does that make it right to give those two a free pass? No, but the two teams are very different.

Plus, under the old regime Phoenix had poor coaching (to be kind). This year they have an excellent coach. The change from having a guy who saw the game differently than almost every other human attempting to explain to players that "well, all you have to do is know exactly where every other person on the ice is and where he's going, and you've got it licked" to a having a guy with a proven track record explaining to them what they need to do just might make a teensy difference in the results.

Could the Sabres do better with a different man behind the bench, perhaps. Was it almost a foregone conclusion that the Yotes would do better w/out 99, absolutely. The magnitude of the improvement is the surprise, not the fact that there is improvement.

We're leading the NE division right?

Not sure if you are a Red Sox fan but before they finally won the WS in 2004 their former GM Dan Duquette used to brag how the Sox, under his tenure, enjoyed the most number of days in first place than any other MLB team. Maybe Larry and Darcy can start claiming that fact too, We didn't make the playoffs for 3 years but were in 1st longer than anyone.

PTR

Phoenix is doing this during a bankruptcy and ownership crisis, yet lots of folks "here" will give Darcy and Lindy a pass not only for the season the Sabres went through it, but a season or two afterwards!

Even more bizarre regarding the flurry of activity by Phoenix is that they are being run by the NHL, rumored to be losing 5 mil a month and yet "someone" okayed them to take on more salary. Supposedly the NHL owners were not happy about this at all.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/03/03/13102276.html

We're leading the NE division right?

Leading te division is ultimately an irrelevant fact. Even if the Sabres win the division its still irrevelant. The NorthEast Division hasn't been this weak in competition in quite a long time and I mean long time. Leading a subpar pack isn't exactly something to brag about, especially given the fact that 1 of those division teams can take it away in just 4 games.

Lets take a look at the goal, or prize if you will, that each team aspires to every season. Don't these teams play for the Stanley Cup?

If in fact, this is the case, you can then measure the Sabres against not only conference opponents, but league wide opponents.

And furthermore, if indeed winning a Stanley Cup is the end game for the season, how now do you stack up this Sabres team against those opponents league wide.

My opinion is that this Sabres squad will get slaughtered in round 2 of the playoffs. Pitt or Wash will brush them aside. If they make it to round 2.

Even more bizarre regarding the flurry of activity by Phoenix is that they are being run by the NHL, rumored to be losing 5 mil a month and yet "someone" okayed them to take on more salary. Supposedly the NHL owners were not happy about this at all.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/03/03/13102276.html

Bettman has his own radio call-in show on NHL Radio (on Sirius/XM) and addressed that issue. He said the league gave the Coyotes a budget to adhere to and all the moves they made were under that budget. He said Phoenix is run locally, not by the league. And as long as they stick to the budget the NHL gave them, they can do what they want. Sounds plausible. You can believe that or not.

PTR

Bettman has his own radio call-in show on NHL Radio (on Sirius/XM) and addressed that issue. He said the league gave the Coyotes a budget to adhere to and all the moves they made were under that budget. He said Phoenix is run locally, not by the league. And as long as they stick to the budget the NHL gave them, they can do what they want. Sounds plausible. You can believe that or not.

PTR

That's extremely plausible as it is essentially how the NHL "ran" the Sabres. The difference being, Phoenix is run in a time when there is a salary cap and the Sabres were run at a time when the Sabres had one of the lower budgets in the league and the league was not about to let them go above it. And quite likely Hammister (who was the presumptive next owner during a significant portion of the league running the Sabres) wouldn't have been able to raise the salary budget either as he appeared to be extremely undercapitalized to run an NHL team.

That's extremely plausible as it is essentially how the NHL "ran" the Sabres. The difference being, Phoenix is run in a time when there is a salary cap and the Sabres were run at a time when the Sabres had one of the lower budgets in the league and the league was not about to let them go above it. And quite likely Hammister (who was the presumptive next owner during a significant portion of the league running the Sabres) wouldn't have been able to raise the salary budget either as he appeared to be extremely undercapitalized to run an NHL team.

And as much as people love to complain about Golisano, thank god we didn't wind up with that Hamister/Berman group.

Archived