OV hit on Campbell

DR HOLLIDAY

I've got to agree -- I like OV for his skills and enthusiasm -- but he just doesn't know where or how to draw the line between aggressive play and cheap shots.

Your right man, there was no need for that shove in the back.......Not sure how bad Campbell is hurt.

the Blackhawks' site doesn't shed too much light: "will miss time" is all it says.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4994950

According to "league sources", broken clavicle and ribs. Could be out for season.

as far as the argument of cheapshots, yeah, it was very cheap. There's two things that the league can do to stop cheap shots, and neither are penalizing the cheap shot artist.

1) remove the instigator rule. Guaranteed, OV would have been punched into the middle of next week yesterday had the instigator rule been off the books. No way a cheap shot gets laid out by a "superstar" if he's guaranteed to have his nose, arm, or forehead bashed in.

2) hard shoulder pads not allowed. Remove some of the equipment and the guys will police themselves. Hitting will still be there, just ask anyone who played prior to the 1990's.

Of course, as long as Bettman/Campbell are in charge, these changes won't be made. Someone's going to have to die on the ice before anything happens. All these injuries and cheap shots without penalty have proven that nothing will happen till there's a nationwide issue with the way the game is policed. You get someone dead on the ice and the NHL will be the United States' #1 popular sport for a very long time for all the wrong reasons. Too bad someone has to basically become a Biblical-like martyr for anything to happen.

Problem with removing the hard equipment is that a lot of that plastic protects the players against the pucks that now go faster than ever. I think they could put some more padding on the outside of the shoulder/elbow pads to protect the hittees.

Hating OV more and more.

Ovechkin was given a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct for the hit. It's his third game misconduct of the season.

Ovechkin said Sunday he didn't feel the hit warranted any further discipline.

"It was not a hard hit," he told reporters. "I just wanted to push him. It's just a moment in the game. I don't think it has to be five minutes or something like that. I just felt bad."

(No you idiot it was a push from behind on a defenceless player and you are going to get yours real soon, I can feel it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521416

Oh this is just too easy for Campbell.Because he got away with not punishing Cooke for his indiscretion he has an easy out on this latest Ovi cheapshot.The arrogant worm(Bettman) and his minions will be chuckling with glee at the forgetfulness of the fans.Usually Campbell likes punishment based on results not intent so with a broken clavical and ribs to a star player,oh wait...Ovi's a star player too.Whatever shall we do?It'll be fun to see Campbell squirm on this one.How will he justify inaction on the part of the league for Ovi's 'agressivness'?"Oh thats just Ovi.He likes to play hard.We don't want to take that out of the game."

Watching the game I didn't think it was cheap. Campbell's right skate comes off the ice and he can't push back/hold himself up. If he had his skate down on the ice he wouldn't have fallen into the boards. That said, it's nothing more than other players do every night. I don't think it warrants any lossed time. (As much as I want it too).

chz, novel use of "blame the victim," but very typical of the old-school hockey culture. Hockey's full of this. "Player had his head down." "Skates left the ice, yeah, but after the hit." "His helmet wasn't strapped tight enough." "Good hit to the head by the forearm... the elbow wasn't extended." There have to be many more, but I have Monday Morning Brain.

I think a lot of us are just beating our heads against the wall here -- pun intended. The game is thick with thugs, on the ice and behind the bench. All the talk about hockey's nice guys and honor and courage and respect for the game rings pretty hollow.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4994950

According to "league sources", broken clavicle and ribs. Could be out for season.

as far as the argument of cheapshots, yeah, it was very cheap. There's two things that the league can do to stop cheap shots, and neither are penalizing the cheap shot artist.

1) remove the instigator rule. Guaranteed, OV would have been punched into the middle of next week yesterday had the instigator rule been off the books. No way a cheap shot gets laid out by a "superstar" if he's guaranteed to have his nose, arm, or forehead bashed in.

2) hard shoulder pads not allowed. Remove some of the equipment and the guys will police themselves. Hitting will still be there, just ask anyone who played prior to the 1990's.

Of course, as long as Bettman/Campbell are in charge, these changes won't be made. Someone's going to have to die on the ice before anything happens. All these injuries and cheap shots without penalty have proven that nothing will happen till there's a nationwide issue with the way the game is policed. You get someone dead on the ice and the NHL will be the United States' #1 popular sport for a very long time for all the wrong reasons. Too bad someone has to basically become a Biblical-like martyr for anything to happen.

How does removing the Instigator Rule cause Ovie to get punched into the middle of next week, but having it in place prevented it?

Ovie got a 5 minute and game misconduct penalty. Having someone go over there and "make him pay" for the hit, makes it a 3 minute powerplay (assuming Ovie doesn't turtle) and puts you down 2 minutes in a worst case if he does. I just don't see that as the deterent to "letting the players police it themselves."

Taking the Instigator Rule out of hockey gives teams a reason to keep an Andrew Peters on the roster. I am not in favor of rules changes that will take skill out of the game (whether they are designed that way or not).

The Instigator Rule is in place to keep the focus of a game on the game of hockey and not put the focus on the fights. I don't buy the argument that someone won't respond to a particularily egregious hit because they are afraid of an extra 2 minute penalty (and then not being available for the extra ten as well). None of the Blackhawks on the play realized how bad the hit actually was - they all turned up ice on the breakout. Instigator Rule or not, you can't go starting fights well after a play is over; so no Blackhawk was going to go all the way back down the ice to cream Ovie; and Ovie was ejected, so there was no opportunity for retribution w/in game any way. The Instigator Rule wasn't a factor on that play.

Watching the game I didn't think it was cheap. Campbell's right skate comes off the ice and he can't push back/hold himself up. If he had his skate down on the ice he wouldn't have fallen into the boards. That said, it's nothing more than other players do every night. I don't think it warrants any lossed time. (As much as I want it too).

Ovie hit him in the back as Campbell was turning to avoid skating into the boards. When you are in the turn like that a hit to the back is very likely to knock someone off his skates. Whether you agree to it being a boarding call or not (and I'd agree it fits the definition of a boarding call), it definitely was a hit from behind on a vulnerable opponent. Either way, Ovie is looking at a major and if either of his other misconducts were for one of those 2 hits, then he is looking at at least 1 game.

Hating OV more and more.

Ovechkin was given a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct for the hit. It's his third game misconduct of the season.

Ovechkin said Sunday he didn't feel the hit warranted any further discipline.

"It was not a hard hit," he told reporters. "I just wanted to push him. It's just a moment in the game. I don't think it has to be five minutes or something like that. I just felt bad."

(

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521416

I'd like to see his f___ing head rolling down the ice. He may be the leagues offensive draw but he's dirty and does'nt give a ###### about anyone but himself. can't stand the a__hole.

The rest was fine, but how exactly does the quote above happen? :unsure:

I hadn't had my coffee. Actually, I've never had coffee. Seriously.

I won't debate the point, because I meant upper arm, but I think you can hit someone in the head with your forearm without extending your elbow in an NHL elbowing penalty kind of way.

At least dinosaurs in the game would find a way to explain it that way.

How does removing the Instigator Rule cause Ovie to get punched into the middle of next week, but having it in place prevented it?

Ovie got a 5 minute and game misconduct penalty. Having someone go over there and "make him pay" for the hit, makes it a 3 minute powerplay (assuming Ovie doesn't turtle) and puts you down 2 minutes in a worst case if he does. I just don't see that as the deterent to "letting the players police it themselves."

Taking the Instigator Rule out of hockey gives teams a reason to keep an Andrew Peters on the roster. I am not in favor of rules changes that will take skill out of the game (whether they are designed that way or not).

The Instigator Rule is in place to keep the focus of a game on the game of hockey and not put the focus on the fights. I don't buy the argument that someone won't respond to a particularily egregious hit because they are afraid of an extra 2 minute penalty (and then not being available for the extra ten as well). None of the Blackhawks on the play realized how bad the hit actually was - they all turned up ice on the breakout. Instigator Rule or not, you can't go starting fights well after a play is over; so no Blackhawk was going to go all the way back down the ice to cream Ovie; and Ovie was ejected, so there was no opportunity for retribution w/in game any way. The Instigator Rule wasn't a factor on that play.

Ovie hit him in the back as Campbell was turning to avoid skating into the boards. When you are in the turn like that a hit to the back is very likely to knock someone off his skates. Whether you agree to it being a boarding call or not (and I'd agree it fits the definition of a boarding call), it definitely was a hit from behind on a vulnerable opponent. Either way, Ovie is looking at a major and if either of his other misconducts were for one of those 2 hits, then he is looking at at least 1 game.

That's a beautiful critique of the instigator rule. I've also been very skeptical of how eliminating the instigator rule stops any of this nonsense.

As for the bolded part, the dinosaurs will say Campbell knew the hit was coming. Remember, checking from behind is defined as a check on a player who is not aware of the impending hit. And Campbell had turned his head and seen Ovie coming. Or they'll say he deliberately turned his back to draw a penalty. Soupy's fault -- he bad.

I only think it was cheap because of how far away they were from the boards. If they are one stride closer to the boards then not only do I think Cambell doesn't get hurt, but I don't even think there would have been a penalty called.

I hadn't had my coffee. Actually, I've never had coffee. Seriously.I won't debate the point, because I meant upper arm, but I think you can hit someone in the head with your forearm without extending your elbow in an NHL elbowing penalty kind of way.At least dinosaurs in the game would find a way to explain it that way.

I assumed you meant the upper arm. The only way I can picture a forearm to the head without an extended elbow would involve someone like Chara hitting someone like Gerbe. The physics of it are baffling. But yeah, the dinosaurs see it differently, but in my mind, I could care less what body part it is (shut up inkman). A hit to the head is a hit to the head.

Surprised no one is talking about Downie's attempt to injure on Crosby.

I haven't seen a good video yet. I couldn't tell from the one I saw whether or not he lost his balance. There's some kind of jockeying for position, but then he either loses balances or falls into the leg intentionally. I need a better angle.

As for the bolded part, the dinosaurs will say Campbell knew the hit was coming. Remember, checking from behind is defined as a check on a player who is not aware of the impending hit. And Campbell had turned his head and seen Ovie coming. Or they'll say he deliberately turned his back to draw a penalty. Soupy's fault -- he bad.

Except Soupy was turning TOWARDS Ovie, not away from him. And even w/ Soupy turning towards Ovie, Ovie still got him square in the #'s.

And while 44.1 states that the hittee can't know the hit is coming, 44.3 states that "any player who crosschecks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to defend himself shall receive a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface." To me, Campbell wasn't aware of the impending hit long enough, nor in a position where he could be "squared" to the impending hit, in such a way as to be able to defend himself. I don't see how given the way he was initially skating towards the end boards at a high rate of speed and then had to turn to keep from crashing into said endboards and being at the distance from the boards that he was at, that he could adequately defend himself from a hit in the back. Where he was on the ice when Ovie hit him didn't leave him a lot of options to brace for the hit. And because of where he was on the ice is why he was "thrown violently into the boards." (Had he been closer or farther from the boards it probably wouldn't have been boarding.)

Whether those who wouldn't call it a hit from behind because Soupy did know Ovie was there (as stated above, I'd disagree), it wasn't called a hit from behind; it was called a 5 minute boarding which means he'll be sitting a game unless both of his other suspensions were for reasons other than boarding/hits from behind.

Watching the game I didn't think it was cheap.

When the thread was started I kinda felt this way but since no one else felt the same I thought I must have been wrong. Glad to see this.

Actually, I've never had coffee.

I knew there was something wrong with you. Can't trust a man who won't cuss or drink coffee and beer...

Surprised no one is talking about Downie's attempt to injure on Crosby.

It's hard to visualize he was doing anything else. Maybe the league will finally do something about these thugs now that their poster boy is on the receiving end. Think the Pens wish they had Laraque now?

Archived