STAFFORD

Buffalo Fan

Since it will be quiet for a while, I'd like to bring up trading Stafford again. It seems like he is going to be unfullfilled promise here. Maybe we can convince someone that a change of scenery will do him good. I am tired of holding on to him in the hope that he will develop into a top 2 winger.

Since it will be quiet for a while, I'd like to bring up trading Stafford again. It seems like he is going to be unfullfilled promise here. Maybe we can convince someone that a change of scenery will do him good. I am tired of holding on to him in the hope that he will develop into a top 2 winger.

Trade him to Edm. for Gagner and Comrie. You know he has an uncle that's the equipment manager. :ph34r:

i am all in favor of shipping the guy for a bag of pucks. he inspires a specific breed of contempt in me -- i sense that contempt arises from the combination of his evident skills, his general indifference on the ice, and his "mouse potatoes" douche-baggery.

I really think it would be a bold move by Darcy...it would ship a possible malcontent, and send message to the rest of them that it will not be tolerated.

i am all in favor of shipping the guy for a bag of pucks. he inspires a specific breed of contempt in me -- i sense that contempt arises from the combination of his evident skills, his general indifference on the ice, and his "mouse potatoes" douche-baggery.

I really think Stafford has real trade value and while I realize the 'bag of pucks' is tounge in cheek, he still has plenty of upside. I guess I think of him as a cheaper Nathan Horton, and some on this board seem to be interested in him.

I guess I think of him as a cheaper Nathan Horton, and some on this board seem to be interested in him.

You are correct that he is a cheaper(contract wise) version of Horton. He(Stafford) is also less talented. The only thing the two have in common is their size and age.

Horton has three 25+ goal and five 45+ point seasons to his credit.

Stafford has one 20 goal season and one 45+ point season.

Stafford has trade value. He has size (whether or not he uses it is a different story), capable hands and has some truly highlight reel goals to his credit.

He'd be an interesting asset to a team desperate for some offensive excitement (ex Florida, Edmonton and possibly NYI). Florida and Edmonton in particular have a slew of players I'd love to get at a bargain bin price.

Did that comment strike a nerve?

i can't say that it did. (and i'm not one to hide from such things.)

it's just that that particular comment seemed to provide a clear insight into what a complete jock-tard he is -- as though he had it in mind that he would be doling out atomic wedgies after gym class and unfunny-brah-styled ridicule in the cafeteria during lunch.

I'd be fine trading Stafford in a package in which the Sabres received a good player in return, but not just dumping him because everybody's PO'd at him. He's 24 and in his 3rd full season. He put up 20-25-45 in his 2nd full season, which is pretty solid. He has plenty of size and skill. He's also under a pretty cheap contract for another year. That's not the profile of a player that should be dumped for no tangible return.

I'd be fine trading Stafford in a package in which the Sabres received a good player in return, but not just dumping him because everybody's PO'd at him. He's 24 and in his 3rd full season. He put up 20-25-45 in his 2nd full season, which is pretty solid. He has plenty of size and skill. He's also under a pretty cheap contract for another year. That's not the profile of a player that should be dumped for no tangible return.

what are you -- some sort of reasonable person?

I'd be more than happy to see Stafford shown the door for some reasonable return. Evidently Lindy isn't getting through to him and Drew needs someone to hold his hand. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been trying to play himself off the team, because really, how does someone who plays this lazy make it to the NHL? I think he'll probably thrive somewhere else.

I still want Roy gone too. Or Pominville.

I defintely would be okay with trading him or anybody else for that matter that fit's this profile from the olympic USA today coverage.

Wilson has said the key for the Americans is their ability to quickly develop team chemistry.

"It makes a big difference, believe it or not," Parise said. "It's not just something to talk about. It makes a big difference when you have guys that are getting along with each other. You would be amazed about how a couple of bad attitudes or bad relationships in the locker room can #s#c#r#e#w# up team chemistry."

It makes wonder if his Guitar hero personna fits that of most hockey player's.

Good call. Never underestimate the power of a contract year.

I could easily see Stafford putting together a career year next season, which would then be the perfect time to unload him.

Sadly though, Darcy will probably resign him to a 15 mill. three-year deal, if he puts up over 60 points next season.

Good call. Never underestimate the power of a contract year.

I could easily see Stafford putting together a career year next season, which would then be the perfect time to unload him.

Sadly though, Darcy will probably resign him to a 15 mill. three-year deal, if he puts up over 60 points next season.

That's pretty much my fear. We know what Stafford is. If he hangs around and puts up a career year, we might get stuck with him for 3-5 more years of mediocrity once he gets his new contract. Move him before he forces Darcy's hand.

If we do trade him (and that would be OK by me), please trade him to a Western Conference team! We sent Paille packing and he burned us for two goals the last time we played the Bruins. Youch!

Yeah, I thought Paille's compensation was conditional...it would be nice if they wrote something in like:

"if the bastard burns us in any games this year, the pick goes up 1 round"

I couldn't agree more, by the way he is not 6'2" LOL... His indifference is undeniable and that is the best way to describe him. Get rid of him...

Stafford is inconsistent. I stick with this: he has no chem with Vanek and roy. I haven't seen him have chemistry with anyone. Being a first rounder who never panned out, I wouldn't hesitate trading him, along with other chips like MacArthur for something useful.

Mac at least hustles... a younger version of Mair.... If they get something for him fine, but don't give him away... How about for Dustin Penner.

If we do trade him (and that would be OK by me), please trade him to a Western Conference team! We sent Paille packing and he burned us for two goals the last time we played the Bruins. Youch!

I've never been crazy about this line of thought. Never limit your possible returns. If Boston or Toronto is offering you the best return package, send the player to Boston or Toronto.

Archived