Sharks Comment After Last Night... and Goalie Stuff

ntjacks79

Shark Quote After The Game: "That was a poor effort," Boyle said. "The game was there for the taking. They (Buffalo) didn't play overly hard — we just didn't have any effort."

Funny how the Sharks got outplayed in at least 40 of 60 minutes by the Sabres in San Jose, only won that game because of Buffalo giveaways, and yet they were talking about how well they played after that game. You may want a dose of "Ryan Miller Realism" in your post-game discussions boys.

On the other hand, I thought the Sabres played very smart hockey last night but I agree with the assessment they "didn't play overly hard". I didn't see any "fire" out there - and determination to win 1:1 battles. But the "system play" just made the game a whole lot easier to watch than the last month has been.

One last comment... I would play Lalime in net the first TWO games after the break for a couple reasons. 1. We're playing Pittsburgh and Washington and points in such games are almost a "bonus". 2. They are likely to be rusty, as are the Sabres in these games. Good time to use Lalime. 3. Give Miller the MUCH needed time off he's not going to get in Vancouver.

Shark Quote After The Game: "That was a poor effort," Boyle said. "The game was there for the taking. They (Buffalo) didn't play overly hard — we just didn't have any effort."

Funny how the Sharks got outplayed in at least 40 of 60 minutes by the Sabres in San Jose, only won that game because of Buffalo giveaways, and yet they were talking about how well they played after that game. You may want a dose of "Ryan Miller Realism" in your post-game discussions boys.

On the other hand, I thought the Sabres played very smart hockey last night but I agree with the assessment they "didn't play overly hard". I didn't see any "fire" out there - and determination to win 1:1 battles. But the "system play" just made the game a whole lot easier to watch than the last month has been.

One last comment... I would play Lalime in net the first TWO games after the break for a couple reasons. 1. We're playing Pittsburgh and Washington and points in such games are almost a "bonus". 2. They are likely to be rusty, as are the Sabres in these games. Good time to use Lalime. 3. Give Miller the MUCH needed time off he's not going to get in Vancouver.

I totally agree about getting Lalime in there. Miller is going to be gassed and we need Patty to help get through the last stretch so Ryan is ready for the playoffs. Let's hope Lindy reads SabresReport! :)

It's the same attitude the Penguins have. "They didn't win the game, we lost it." Can never give anybody credit, bunch of crybabies.

About Patty, great so we play him in games that would be considered "bonus" points then if we lose them, this entire forum will be up in arms about trading him and bringing in a reputable backup.

I totally agree about getting Lalime in there. Miller is going to be gassed and we need Patty to help get through the last stretch so Ryan is ready for the playoffs. Let's hope Lindy reads SabresReport! :)

Miller is 8th in minutes amongst goalies. Why is he so gassed compared to other top flight goalies, who are logging more minutes? Is he just more fragile? I mean he is playing about what you would expect for a clear #1.

This is really all depending on how well Team USA does... while in general I think Miller just needs rest it really is dependent on how this Olympics goes. We don't even know if he'll be playing full games. Pretty sure we play the Swiss in the first game... you think if we get a big lead we'd switch goalies or something? I'm not sure. I think we play Norway after that... I'm not really sure I don't remember how goalies are handled in the Olympics... especially in whats essentially throw away games.

Miller is 8th in minutes amongst goalies. Why is he so gassed compared to other top flight goalies, who are logging more minutes? Is he just more fragile? I mean he is playing about what you would expect for a clear #1.

I don't know that he is gassed... his play has been pretty consistent. I just thinking resting him is a good precaution for down the road... in past years he's seemed to lag off at the end of the season when he's been playing so many games... And if you think he is getting gassed then I suppose you can just look at his build. Tall and lanky... doesn't look like a very muscular guy compared to some other goalies who are naturally a bit bigger. I don't know.

Well, now we know who PA, I mean DD is.

Why? Because he's a buck 70 soaking wet. He's a skinny, skinny man for a guy his height. He's not built for 70 games. 60, fine, but not 70 plus.

They aren't robots. Everyone has different levels of fatigue and recovery...

This is really all depending on how well Team USA does... while in general I think Miller just needs rest it really is dependent on how this Olympics goes. We don't even know if he'll be playing full games. Pretty sure we play the Swiss in the first game... you think if we get a big lead we'd switch goalies or something? I'm not sure. I think we play Norway after that... I'm not really sure I don't remember how goalies are handled in the Olympics... especially in whats essentially throw away games.

Both Team USA and Team Canada alternated goalies in those games back in 2006.

Team USA seemingly because both Esche and DiPietro stunk, Team Canada seemingly to spread out icetime.

Why? Because he's a buck 70 soaking wet. He's a skinny, skinny man for a guy his height. He's not built for 70 games. 60, fine, but not 70 plus.

While possible that he's not able to play 70+ games without getting fatigued, I simply do not buy the argument that it's because he's skinny, and a guy like Brodeur isn't.

Logic suggests that Brodeur needs to work a heckuva a lot harder to haul around his extra 40 pounds throughout the grind that a full season is. Without insulting anyone, I think we can agree that not every ounce of those 40 pounds is muscle.

Ryan should have absolutely no trouble staying fit enough, as long as he maintains a pready steady diet.

I think his problem with playing 70+ games is mental more than anything. Unless he's plain eating wrong, in which case I'd say it's still in his head cause it makes him unprofessional.

Bottom line - I think some goalies are workhorses, while others aren't.

Just my 2 cents.

While possible that he's not able to play 70+ games without getting fatigued, I simply do not buy the argument that it's because he's skinny, and a guy like Brodeur isn't.

Logic suggests that Brodeur needs to work a heckuva a lot harder to haul around his extra 40 pounds throughout the grind that a full season is. Without insulting anyone, I think we can agree that not every ounce of those 40 pounds is muscle.

Ryan should have absolutely no trouble staying fit enough, as long as he maintains a pready steady diet.

I think his problem with playing 70+ games is mental more than anything. Unless he's plain eating wrong, in which case I'd say it's still in his head cause it makes him unprofessional.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd agree it's more mental than physical. I sometimes think his preparation each game (meditation, etc.) can sometimes have negative impacts towards his play, as in overthinking situations.

Physically, he should be able to go 65-70 games. The Olympics would obviously throw a wrench into regualar season games played, but one thing to remember also is that he hasn't played in the playoffs in a couple of years now, while other elite goalies who logged similiar miutes played have gone on to play in the playoffs.

If he's wearing down and it's due to physical exhaustion, our problems go further than Miller. I just don't buy it.

So if he gained weight, he would not get as fatigued?

If you look at goalies with over 3000 minutes, they are Miller, Kiprusoff, Nabakov, Bryzgalov, Brodeur, Lundqvist, Anderson, Quick, and Vokoun. With the exception of Brodeur, Bryzgalov and Quick, all of these guys weigh 200 pounds or less and are 6 foot tall and over--not big guys. When you factor in many of these guys are also older than Miller, I just don't accept that Miller should uniquely be "wearing down."

With proper diet etc., there should be no physical reason that a 29 year old goalie can't play 70 games. And I think Miller can. To attribute his current less than spectacular play to fatigue--as many do-- is pure speculation. Athletes go through slumps, all athletes. Or maybe he was having a career 1/2 year through the first 40 games, and it's over But to conclude it is due to fatigue seems obviously wrong to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Not to mention he is 8 years older.

I'd agree it's more mental than physical. I sometimes think his preparation each game (meditation, etc.) can sometimes have negative impacts towards his play, as in overthinking situations.

Physically, he should be able to go 65-70 games. The

I just don't accept that Miller should uniquely be "wearing down."

With proper diet etc., there should be no physical reason that a 29 year old goalie can't play 70 games. And I think Miller can. To attribute his current less than spectacular play to fatigue--as many do-- is pure speculation. Athletes go through slumps, all athletes. Or maybe he was having a career 1/2 year through the first 40 games, and it's over But to conclude it is due to fatigue seems obviously wrong to me.

Good posts. I would only add one other small component. It seems with all the playing time he optionally chooses when to practice so as not to be too worn down on game days. I think practice makes perfect and even good goalies still need to practice and keep their game in tip top shape. IMO bad habits can creep into your game when your just reacting to game situations all the time and not practicing the style or form you want.

The two area's of Miller's game that I thought do not appear as strong as earlier in the season; 1. squaring to shooter 2. after initial shot reaction and re-positioning appears slower.

I think the change has more to do with team defensive lapses than any one particular person. The break will help the younger players like Myers who probably are playing more hockey than they're used to.. Myers and Vanek get to heal up while Crosby, Malkin, OV do not. Let's hope that makes a difference.

Good posts. I would only add one other small component. It seems with all the playing time he optionally chooses when to practice so as not to be too worn down on game days. I think practice makes perfect and even good goalies still need to practice and keep their game in tip top shape. IMO bad habits can creep into your game when your just reacting to game situations all the time and not practicing the style or form you want.

The two area's of Miller's game that I thought do not appear as strong as earlier in the season; 1. squaring to shooter 2. after initial shot reaction and re-positioning appears slower.

I wanted to add one thing as it relates to what I was thinking when I made the "rest" suggestion above. This season is condensed MUCH more than a normal regular season. There are many more games in shorter time spans than is normal. I've never played an 82 game hockey season but it would seem to me that your "recovery time" from game-to-game (mental and physical) is getting pushed to the limit this year... not only Ryan Miller but all players. Unlike Miller, however, most players are going to be getting some down-time (I assume this to be the case regarding the other Olympians).

Anyway, that was what was behind my suggestion to play Lalime March 2 and 3, beyond the reasons I stated above.

I wanted to add one thing as it relates to what I was thinking when I made the "rest" suggestion above. This season is condensed MUCH more than a normal regular season. There are many more games in shorter time spans than is normal. I've never played an 82 game hockey season but it would seem to me that your "recovery time" from game-to-game (mental and physical) is getting pushed to the limit this year... not only Ryan Miller but all players. Unlike Miller, however, most players are going to be getting some down-time (I assume this to be the case regarding the other Olympians).

Anyway, that was what was behind my suggestion to play Lalime March 2 and 3, beyond the reasons I stated above.

I remembered someone talking about this earlier...

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

If USA makes the Bronze/Silver game then Millsie plays Sat, gets two days rest if he plays against Pens on Tuesday. I would think that Lalime would play vs. the Pens. He's been outstanding against them letting in only one goal in 51 shots.

So if USA goes to B/S game, Millsie gets 3 days rest, if they go Gold (assuming he plays) he gets 2 days off.

At the most I see him playing 3 games in 13 days, a piece of cake for him.

http://forums.sabres...post__p__185986

I don't know that he is gassed... his play has been pretty consistent. I just thinking resting him is a good precaution for down the road... in past years he's seemed to lag off at the end of the season when he's been playing so many games... And if you think he is getting gassed then I suppose you can just look at his build. Tall and lanky... doesn't look like a very muscular guy compared to some other goalies who are naturally a bit bigger. I don't know.

I don't mean to imply he is gassed now, but if he keeps playing as many games in a row as he has to this point through the rest of the season, I think he's not going to be ready for the grind of a long playoff series. Anyone remember 07-08 when Thibault tanked and Miller started 75 of 82 (and pretty much every game from mid-January through April)? That went well. :doh:

to what i took as the principal/original point of the thread: i was at the sharks game and was naturally pleased with the outcome. but i hafta say: while the sabres skated reasonably well and finished enough to win, that was the most polite hockey game i have seen in a long, long time.

Archived