Paul Hamilton

PASabreFan

I wasn't able to listen to his last game, but I remember Paul being terrific. They won't drop the simulcast, but there's nothing wrong with having Paul first in the line of succession to RJ.

That is my hope. He is way better than Sylvester and would be accepted by Buffalo fans. We have a certain expectation because of RJ, and frankly Sylvester doesn't come close but Hamilton does. Just my take.

I'll be honest, as I stated before, I don't like Paul much as a beat reporter. I find him lazy and condescending. I do not ever remember thinking of him being overly negative. In fact, I sometimes feel just the opposite.

I think the only thing stopping him from taking over as play by play man might be image. He has the look for radio but he might be a problem on the TV side of it, especially in high def.

I like him a lot. He will only get better. I like the harmony in the broadcast booth, too. This idea that Buffalo hockey will die if Rick Jennerette goes is so silly. I like for the play by play guy and the colorman to get along, and that's something RJ has trouble with, IMO. Yes, Neil says dumb things, but we don't need them pointed out and argued over.

Someone somewhere on this board mentioned the idea of Mike Robitaille taking over for color :thumbdown:

No way!

I would LOVE Roby on color. I miss Lorentz, and Robitaille is as close as we're going to get to him. Sorry.

I agree. He's all sizzle, no steak.

On the flip side, I think Troy Aikman is pretty good.

I can tolerate Aikman. I'm not a fan of Buck with his pontificating, grandstanding, and generally waxing idiotic throughout the broadcast. And for Buck and all announcers - when someone scores a frigging touchdown, that damn word needs to come out of your mouth, or at the very least an equivalent word that conveys the event.

He's much better than Sylvester, I will say that. I only listened for a few minutes during the Kings game, but it kept getting knocked off sync for the broadcast... which was too bad, because the Kings broadcasters really sucked.

I didn't hear the announcers for the Kings game as I was at a local watering hole but the Vancouver announcers were perfect. A perfect rememdy for my insomnia. I don't know what it is about certain Canadian announcers but they go so far to sound non-biased that the game turns into a snooze fest.

I didn't hear the announcers for the Kings game as I was at a local watering hole but the Vancouver announcers were perfect. A perfect rememdy for my insomnia. I don't know what it is about certain Canadian announcers but they go so far to sound non-biased that the game turns into a snooze fest.

Same here. Literally, unfortunately; I fell asleep in the second and missed the controversy that everyone is discussing in the GDT. I'm sure it will be on youtube later. Those guys weren't too good last night.

I really appreciate the objectivity shown here (and we saw it in other West Coast broadcasts). I don't think we see the same approach on Sabres broadcasts, not usually anyway.

What did folks think of Derek Wills last night? I thought his "scoooooore" call was very RJ-like. Not sure I liked it.

Garbage call by a referee with one foot out the door.

He should be done and retired immediately.

Put his hair into the HHOF.

We did get the equalizer to begin the second.

They had many other opportunities to score as well.

Kudos to the effort.

As far as Hamilton is concerned, he can take over the play-by-play when the Great One retires.

Color can be done by just about anybody (except Jeremy White - NFW).

Gare, Playfair, Ray...they would all be OK with me.

Dunleavy was the best of the west coast replacements though.

Dennis Beyak (Leafs radio PBP) or Dunleavy can take the job before Hamilton.

Hamilton suffices as the beat reporter very well.

I do not have any problem with his work there and look forward to his daily reports regarding the Sabres and Bills.

He is comparable to the Leaf's Howard Berger who is also good.

Sylvester should not be a player into the PBP job at all.

He is competent as the host, but not irreplaceable.

I would bring back Brain Blessing to play the straight guy reunited along side Robitaille.

Derek Wills sounded too much like Gurtler to me. Bad Flashbacks there.

He just seemed to be trying too hard.

Back to the AHL, Derek.

And Oh yeah...Kerry Frasor sucks!

I really appreciate the objectivity shown here (and we saw it in other West Coast broadcasts). I don't think we see the same approach on Sabres broadcasts, not usually anyway.

What did folks think of Derek Wills last night? I thought his "scoooooore" call was very RJ-like. Not sure I liked it.

I thought he was by far the best of the three replacements.

I thought he was by far the best of the three replacements.

I caught a bit of him on radio; I thought he was ok. But I really like Hamilton. OTOH, if Wills ends up being the next one, I really won't hate it; I just prefer Hamilton.

I thought Steve Kouleas was exceptional. I was impressed with his knowledge of the facts and stats on individual players. He really did his prep well last night.

Unfortunately, all that stuff got in the way of him actually doing play-by-play. By the time he told me that Johnny Oduya was going to be Tallinder's teammate on Team Sweden at the Olympics in Vancouver ... for the third time ... Oduya had passed the puck, the Devils had dumped it in and changed and the Sabres had possession ... I wish I was exagerrating ... as I said in another thread, perhaps it is just personal taste as far as play-by-play style, but I just want a guy to call the game. Save the other stuff for stoppages. It was annoying on TV and if I had been listening on the radio I would have been lost.

Archived