Paul Hamilton

PASabreFan

This guy is gold. He might be one of the best play by play guys I've ever heard. He's so sharp, so smart, so smooth. Listen to those shootout calls. Incredible detail. And his voice is excellent. The goal calls just fit like an old pair of skates.

A natural.

I kind of wish the Sabres would drop the simulcast. Paul is tailor made for radio.

There are a whole lot of sugar packets to be pocketed before this is going to happen. ;)

Ok..I have had enough of Tommy G being called cheap!

I had to listen to some ahole behind me at the Blackhawks game back in December call the owner cheap, and I see we still bring up sugar packets here like "Mr.Softie" on the whiner line.

Let's see Golisano is cheap????

1) Spends to within 3 million of the cap this year, and I believe it has been about the same the last 3 years.

2) Without this guy we would be watching what 82 nights out the year? Not a hockey team in Buffalo.

God people enjoy the team.

I had to listen to some ahole behind me at the Blackhawks game back in December call the owner cheap, and I see we still bring up sugar packets here like "Mr.Softie" on the whiner line.

1) Spends to within 3 million of the cap this year, and I believe it has been about the same the last 3 years.

2) Without this guy we would be watching what 82 nights out the year? Not a hockey team in Buffalo.

Lighten up. The sugar packet reference has been going on here for a couple of years now.

So why didn't he throw more packets at the Amerks and keep the club for Ra-Cha-Cha?

This guy is gold. He might be one of the best play by play guys I've ever heard. He's so sharp, so smart, so smooth. Listen to those shootout calls. Incredible detail. And his voice is excellent. The goal calls just fit like an old pair of skates.

A natural.

I kind of wish the Sabres would drop the simulcast. Paul is tailor made for radio.

I wasn't able to listen to his last game, but I remember Paul being terrific. They won't drop the simulcast, but there's nothing wrong with having Paul first in the line of succession to RJ.

I am big time anti TG.

They were not within $3 million last year. If I recall correctly they were in the bottom third in payroll last year.

I believe his meddling and lack of understanding of the sports market in general and hockey in particular cost them dearly the last couple of years.

I hate the thought we owe him anything considering the money he has made on his investment.

All that being said, I agree that he is not cheap. They might not have spent some of their money wisely, but other then a year or two, they have spent close to the maximum.

I am big time anti TG.

They were not within $3 million last year. If I recall correctly they were in the bottom third in payroll last year.

I believe his meddling and lack of understanding of the sports market in general and hockey in particular cost them dearly the last couple of years.

I hate the thought we owe him anything considering the money he has made on his investment.

All that being said, I agree that he is not cheap. They might not have spent some of their money wisely, but other then a year or two, they have spent close to the maximum.

I'm sure you were also the same guy that called the Sabres cheap when they eliminated scouts and went to video only? The same video that has brought you Kennedy, Butler, MYERS, Gerbe, Ennis etc.

Golisano is just a good businessman, the Sabres are consistently in the top half of spending in the NHL while being in one of the smallest markets. What more can they do to convince you? Being cheap has also been like blind luck for them - would you rather be saddled with $14 Million a year going to Drury adn Briere right now? So much for their leadership, it looks like Grier and his +1MM salary were all the leadership they needed.

He's doing a really nice job tonight. I like his off-the-cuff comments a lot (they remind me of RJ's similar comments, but Paul seems to pull them off even better). If he ever develops the vocabulary of verbs that RJ has in his repertoire, wow, he's going to be great.

Someday, RJ will retire, and I really hope that Hamilton gets the job. He's the best substitute that I've heard--by a long mile--so far. On any given night, Sylvester is either slightly better than, or worse than, Gurtler, but he's always orbiting Planet Gurtler. Hamilton sounds like a natural.

I'm sure you were also the same guy that called the Sabres cheap when they eliminated scouts and went to video only? The same video that has brought you Kennedy, Butler, MYERS, Gerbe, Ennis etc.Golisano is just a good businessman, the Sabres are consistently in the top half of spending in the NHL while being in one of the smallest markets. What more can they do to convince you? Being cheap has also been like blind luck for them - would you rather be saddled with $14 Million a year going to Drury adn Briere right now? So much for their leadership, it looks like Grier and his +1MM salary were all the leadership they needed.

First of all. Bone up on the reading comprehension. I said they weren't cheap and I never questioned his ability as a businessman. Its his lack of understanding of sports and hockey that set this team back. As for the video scouting comment,

not even close. If you paid attention at all you would know that I am among those who laugh at the "video scouting" mis-conception.

As for being saddled with $14 million, that's the argument people use when they don't want to admit past mistakes. I'm not going to going over that whole argument. I'll just leave it with the belief that there was no reason to go through the last two years to get to where they are now. This wasn't some great plan. They ###### up, realized it and corrected some of their mistakes. Part of the solution was keeping TG and LQ out of the hockey decisions.

I wonder how much politics will play into the next play by play guy. Paul has said a lot of harsh things about the Sabres over the years. Good for him, although I tend to disagree with him. He has had a tendency to editorialize during the few games he's called. Last night he sort of sarcastically wondered why Kaleta wasn't out to kill that late penalty. Challenging your coach is probably a pretty quick way to lose a chance at the job. Paul's a bit of loose cannon. I applaud him for not going soft during his "auditions."

Anyway, they are going to pry that mic out of RJ's cold dead hands.

Last night he sort of sarcastically wondered why Kaleta wasn't out to kill that late penalty.

I'm curious about the intention of his sarcasm. Was he implying that Kaleta should be out there for the Rivet penalty? He was. Not a bad idea to use a guy that has the only two shorties of the season. Or was he suggesting that he should be out for Stafford's penalty with 27 second left when down by three. I guess I don't get the sarcasm.

Four minutes in, what do you think? I think he's doing a great job. I really hope he's the future.

I like him a lot. He will only get better. I like the harmony in the broadcast booth, too. This idea that Buffalo hockey will die if Rick Jennerette goes is so silly. I like for the play by play guy and the colorman to get along, and that's something RJ has trouble with, IMO. Yes, Neil says dumb things, but we don't need them pointed out and argued over.

Someone somewhere on this board mentioned the idea of Mike Robitaille taking over for color :thumbdown:

No way!

I wonder how much politics will play into the next play by play guy. Paul has said a lot of harsh things about the Sabres over the years. Good for him, although I tend to disagree with him. He has had a tendency to editorialize during the few games he's called. Last night he sort of sarcastically wondered why Kaleta wasn't out to kill that late penalty. Challenging your coach is probably a pretty quick way to lose a chance at the job. Paul's a bit of loose cannon. I applaud him for not going soft during his "auditions."

Anyway, they are going to pry that mic out of RJ's cold dead hands.

It's an interesting question - since Hamilton is already an employee of WGR and they have the radio rights to the games, I would think there is no issue in replacing RJ with Hamilton eventually. However, with the simulcast between WGR & MSG, it becomes muddy. Quinn was a conspicuous orchestrator of the MSG broadcasts and apparently had a lot of input on the selection of Sylvester, Ray and Robitaille when the Sabres switched over from Empire to MSG. For the reasons you stated, it would be hard to envision Hamilton being Quinn's first choice. But who knows? Robitaille was often critical of the franchise in his commentaries on Empire and there were some reports in the Buffalo News at the time that when the contract with Empire was terminated, Robie wasn't going to be kept on for the switch to MSG. It's no coincidence that Robie's stance since the MSG contract began has been noticeably "pro-Sabres/pro-Golisano". And we also know that Quinn was the one who solicited and hired Harry Neale.

My gut feeling is that when Jeanneret does retire, Quinn will go his usual route in saving money and installing people who are "yes" men - meaning, Sylvester will probably be his first choice as PxP man. Ray will probably end up being Quinn's choice to replace Neale, when/if he retires.

I'm curious about the intention of his sarcasm. Was he implying that Kaleta should be out there for the Rivet penalty? He was. Not a bad idea to use a guy that has the only two shorties of the season. Or was he suggesting that he should be out for Stafford's penalty with 27 second left when down by three. I guess I don't get the sarcasm.

Right at the start of the Rivet penalty, yes.

But you know how Paul is, almost everything sounds sarcastic.

Very true. Did he at least acknowledge when Lindy did put Kaleta out on the second PK unit for that penalty?

Yes.

Like a lot of people, I really like the idea of Paul doing play by play. I have some doubts that LQ would want to deal with someone who's not going to always lie down for the organEYEzation. Maybe the Sabres could break some ground here and have a non-partisan broadcast. As a fan I would appreciate it. Imagine Paul doing play by play, Rob doing color, Roby as an analyst and Bucky as the host. All with the understanding that they can say whatever they want.

Archived