What is up with Rivet??

LabattBlue

Ever since the start of last season, I have been waiting to see a defenseman worthy of the two second round picks we gave up to get him and a player who's skill level is in line with a 3.5 mil salary.

Instead I see this...

1. He is as prone to mistakes in his own end as much(maybe even the worst) as any other blueliner on the team.

2. Except for the 3 or 4 times a year he fights, not physical at all for a guy with his size.

3. Not good at all offensively and should never be on the PP.

4. He is the equivalent of Drew Bledsoe on skates. S-L-O-W!

I remember reading a SJ message board after the trade and there were a number of fans who were upset to see him go. WHY? I really hope that IF the Sabres make the playoffs, that he has another level to his game.

I thought he played ok until last night, he was clearly playing poorly last night. It looked like something was wrong, he looked different last night... sometimes guys have an off night but it's not clearly noticible every move they make and it looked to me like in the 2nd and 3rd, something was definetly wrong wtih him.

Interesting, I have also been watching him the last several games because I was expecting more from him this year. After knowing he came over recovering from an injury from SJ and then he got injured during the season and had to play through it that way I expected more out of him this year.

The things I see are; he looks 2 steps slower, he is not moving his feet, he is not clearing the front of the net the way I expected/wanted, more bad decisions then good for a vet and last the only crisp in his passes are more like burnt' toast.

So I have to go w/Mbossy and wonder if he is hurting and will go one step further and say if that's the case and the Coach has a healthy d-man in Loods riding the pine then shame on him.

All that said next game will tell me more than this one.

OT; Ink if thats your Santa can I come over and sit on her lap to give her my wish list :wub:

Something's definitely going on with Rivet, and it ain't good.

As captain of the team, he needs to man up that he's not on top of his game, and needs time off to heal and/or work on his game.

I'd still have him as captain over Pommers or Roy or Timmy, any day. Goose would be a better choice than that lot, but Goose has very focused 'tunnel vision' when he's on the ice, which makes him a great player, but not such a good captain.

Rivet was slightly better last night, but still not where expected.

Especially with Grier out, the team needs the Captain to lead by example.

At what point does Ruff sit him, or Rivet goes up to Ruff and asks him for time off to sort out his demons. Of course, this is the Sabres, neither will happen.

Maybe a thorough pummeling will get him back on track, like we fully expect tonight.. cos I don't really trust him to stand up to Cankner(sp?) or Neil.

Rivet is facing the same problems most older players do. His body can't take the physical pounding of a 82 game schedule. They might want to get him on a schedule where they can get him some time off. It's only going to get worse as the schedule gets tougher.

The defense had been good so this season. Montador is playing much better than he did earlier in the season. Myers and Butler have settled in as the two mainstays on the blueline. Tallinder had been solid. I think even Sekera has looked better. The only concerns are the health of Rivet and Lydman.

Especially if his Santa is like mine:

What's up with the non-enlargeable picture? Not very Yuletide-ish of you.

As for Rivet, I'm a big fan of his, but I think his play hasn't been that strong lately. However, I don't think he's fallen off the table as some posters seem to be indicating. He's still quite solid. I think he's not as offensively talented as most of the other guys, so his outlet passes aren't nearly as crisp. He's also turned it over in the defensive zone a few more times lately than I'd expect. But he patrols the front of the net well, he skates reasonably well, he doesn't get caught at the blue line on the PP, and he plays hard consistently.

He's not an all-star, and I'd like to see a bit more from him, but I'm not really concerned about his play right now the way I am about, say, every GD one of the top 6 forwards except Roy.

Ever since the start of last season, I have been waiting to see a defenseman worthy of the two second round picks we gave up to get him and a player who's skill level is in line with a 3.5 mil salary.

Instead I see this...

1. He is as prone to mistakes in his own end as much(maybe even the worst) as any other blueliner on the team.

2. Except for the 3 or 4 times a year he fights, not physical at all for a guy with his size.

3. Not good at all offensively and should never be on the PP.

4. He is the equivalent of Drew Bledsoe on skates. S-L-O-W!

I remember reading a SJ message board after the trade and there were a number of fans who were upset to see him go. WHY? I really hope that IF the Sabres make the playoffs, that he has another level to his game.

Exactly what I have been seeing. He's a bum. Not happy at all he's still Captain.

Archived