The Sabres are 7-1-1 even though...

LabattBlue

The Fab 4(Vanek, Roy, Pominville & Connolly) have been very pedestrian to date. I expect all 4 of these guys to be at the very least in the 65-70 point range at the end of the year and right now none of them are going at that pace.

Roy - He got off to a slow start last year, and I believe he will breakout fairly soon. At seasons end, I expect him to be around 80 points or so.

Pominville - I think he contributes more than the other three in terms of his overall game, but I would like to see his goal total get back up in the low 30's.

Connolly - I just can't figure him out. I don't know if it's a committment to the game or all the injuries, but I expect more from him when healthy.

Vanek - Why he has become nonexistent in the assist department, is puzzling. He finished last year with only 4 assists in the last 21 games and has none so far this year in 7 games. That is 4 assists in 28 games. You would think that just by virtue of playing on a scoring line and the PP, that he would rack up an assist every other game or so. I know his game is goal scoring, but the lack of assists seems to be related to his play when he is not in a position to shoot the puck.

All this being said, if the blueliners, 3rd and 4th lines and Miller continue to play well and the Fab 4 get their act together(which they will), the future looks bright.

Having the top statistical goalie in hockey can mask a lot of shortcomings.

Miller leads the NHL in goals against average and save percentage...

True, and Miller has definitely been on, but don't forgot that a good team defense helps a goaltender's stats, too.

The Fab 4(Vanek, Roy, Pominville & Connolly) have been very pedestrian to date. I expect all 4 of these guys to be at the very least in the 65-70 point range at the end of the year and right now none of them are going at that pace.

Roy - He got off to a slow start last year, and I believe he will breakout fairly soon. At seasons end, I expect him to be around 80 points or so.

Pominville - I think he contributes more than the other three in terms of his overall game, but I would like to see his goal total get back up in the low 30's.

Connolly - I just can't figure him out. I don't know if it's a committment to the game or all the injuries, but I expect more from him when healthy.

Vanek - Why he has become nonexistent in the assist department, is puzzling. He finished last year with only 4 assists in the last 21 games and has none so far this year in 7 games. That is 4 assists in 28 games. You would think that just by virtue of playing on a scoring line and the PP, that he would rack up an assist every other game or so. I know his game is goal scoring, but the lack of assists seems to be related to his play when he is not in a position to shoot the puck.

All this being said, if the blueliners, 3rd and 4th lines and Miller continue to play well and the Fab 4 get their act together(which they will), the future looks bright.

Roy and Pominville are pretty consistant and should end the season in the 70 point range.

Connolly I think may be a little shell shocked from repeated concussions, but his passing, puck handling and play set up are not reflected in point totals.

Vanek will never be a big assist guy unless he gets some grit and joins in on play set up. I dumped half a beer down my shirt last night when he went behind the Devils net and put a shoulder into a defensemen who had the puck.

Vanek will never be a big assist guy unless he gets some grit and joins in on play set up. I dumped half a beer down my shirt last night when he went behind the Devils net and put a shoulder into a defensemen who had the puck.

Vanek's assist totals have never been great(averaging 29 per season over his first 4 years) and they aren't being helped by Lindy who insists on having one of his best shooters/goal scorers do tip drills on the PP, but 4 assists in 28 games?

Thank you. Let's not depict this start as Miller standing on his head.

Right. Miller has made the saves he needs to be making, along with a couple really phenomenal ones. But for the most part, he's just doing his job at the level we should expect him to on a consistent basis. Don't worry PA, the "wtf" arm waves will come this year, just not yet. ;)

Right. Miller has made the saves he needs to be making, along with a couple really phenomenal ones. But for the most part, he's just doing his job at the level we should expect him to on a consistent basis. Don't worry PA, the "wtf" arm waves will come this year, just not yet. ;)

I hope they never come, and I am doing what I can to resist the urge to be cynical.

I just don't like the feeling of being in a collective mood with fellow Sabres fans that there's an invisible precipice which we haven't seen yet.

I hope they never come, and I am doing what I can to resist the urge to be cynical.

I just don't like the feeling of being in a collective mood with fellow Sabres fans that there's an invisible precipice which we haven't seen yet.

I'll truly believe if they play Ottawa and win. Ottawa seems to derail every win streak the Sabres have had recently (or at least it feels like that).

I'll truly believe if they play Ottawa and win. Ottawa seems to derail every win streak the Sabres have had recently (or at least it feels like that).

Agreed. I just can't get over the feeling of not wanting to vest myself in this team just this moment. After 9 games I'm just not completely convinced. However, I'm very close. I want to fall in love with this team, but it just doesn't feel right yet. So I'll stick with being happy with the good things I've seen so far. I just like watching good hockey.

Agreed. I just can't get over the feeling of not wanting to vest myself in this team just this moment. After 9 games I'm just not completely convinced. However, I'm very close. I want to fall in love with this team, but it just doesn't feel right yet. So I'll stick with being happy with the good things I've seen so far. I just like watching good hockey.

We all want to watch good hockey.

Sorry for the tangent (yeah, I know, wrong thread), but we would also like to watch good football coming out of 1 Bills Drive as well.

A quick glance at the player stats, after 9 games, supports the OP's claim:

1st line: Vanek, Roy, and Stafford have collectively contributed to 7 goals.

2nd: MacArthur, Connolly, and Pominville have added 10 goals.

3rd: Hecht, Kennedy, and Grier have added 5.

4th: Ellis, Gaustad, and Kaleta have also added 5.

Vanek, Roy, Connolly, and Pominville are definitely a bit sluggish and not quite producing commensurate with their salaries...especially Roy. However, the good news is that we know these 4 have the talent to produce. And the season is still very young. I'm looking forward to seeing these 4 tear the living #%^$#! out of Toronto and NYI this weekend. If they start heating up while Miller and the D stay strong, we are an elite NHL team.

It will never feel right until they actually win a cup.

Could some moderator please fix the title of this thread? The Sabres are clearly 8-1-1. The title is very misleading and will lead to misunderstandings, misinterpretations, and quite possibly misogeny. For spndchz's and PA's sakes, I hope this thread title gets fixed.

Archived