Clarke MacArthur

inkman

He's got hands and, I think, a pretty good hockey IQ. He's 24 and has a decent build for hockey -- 5'11, 190 lbs. He's a pretty decent skater too. If he keeps his intensity and confidence up, he could stay on TC's and Pommer's line and score 25 this year.

I haven't been a fan, but yeah, he was good last night. The goal was gritty and the pass to Vanek was sweet. He's had stretches of good play before, now he just needs to avoid the 3 week slumbers he tends to go into.

Cut him some slack. Last year was his first full year at the NHL level. If you want to hammer on guys for prolonged slumps, there are plenty of candidates on this squad who have been in the NHL a lot longer. ;)

There were many who wanted to kick MacArthur to the curb in the offseason because "he is just another guy who is nothing special, doesn't fit on a scoring line nor a checking line and can easily be replaced". I could be wrong, but I see a 20-25 goal 50+ point season out of MacArthur.

The guy scores one goal, and look at the talk. Funny. I'm sure The News will have a General ball-washing at some point in the next 24 hours.

We always tend to do this!

We do, and it's fun. He also had the pretty set up to Vanek. I think he's made strides, but only time will tell.

There were many who wanted to kick MacArthur to the curb in the offseason because "he is just another guy who is nothing special, doesn't fit on a scoring line nor a checking line and can easily be replaced". I could be wrong, but I see a 20-25 goal 50+ point season out of MacArthur.

A 2009-2010 Buffalo Sabres Playoff team needs exactly what you described for MacArthur. I thinks it's safe to say they also need a similar, if not better, season from Stafford.

A 2009-2010 Buffalo Sabres Playoff team needs exactly what you described for MacArthur. I thinks it's safe to say they also need a similar, if not better, season from Stafford.

Agreed, but don't see it happening from Staff man... too much time chasing girls... not enough time showing grit. IMO he has the talent just not the heart. Mac kept working last year despite not showing it and I have always liked his hustle.

Okay, I'm impressed. He really showed his offensive chops last night. He didn't play a perfect two-way game, but he certainly showed he's capable of playing in the top 6. Very nifty plays.

I thought he looked ok in the Montreal game but i agree with you, i thought he looked great last night. Playing at that level several times during the season is a way to stay in the league, but, if he wants to truly help this team as a top 6 player he needs to do that on a consistent basis and that is to be seen. I do agree though, so far i am impressed as well. I think someone mentioned it this off-season (actually i think it was Clarke himself) that he needs a 25 goal season. I agree with that. He needs to step up and so far after 2 games, i like what i see.

I thought he looked ok in the Montreal game but i agree with you, i thought he looked great last night. Playing at that level several times during the season is a way to stay in the league, but, if he wants to truly help this team as a top 6 player he needs to do that on a consistent basis and that is to be seen. I do agree though, so far i am impressed as well. I think someone mentioned it this off-season (actually i think it was Clarke himself) that he needs a 25 goal season. I agree with that. He needs to step up and so far after 2 games, i like what i see.

True. The tough thing for him is, if he isn't on a top 2 line he shouldn't be in the lineup because he isn't cut out for 3rd or 4th line duty. But, so far, so good.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

True. The tough thing for him is, if he isn't on a top 2 line he shouldn't be in the lineup because he isn't cut out for 3rd or 4th line duty.

Luckily for him, the Sabres aren't dripping with top line talent. The options after him are Paille, Hecht, Gaustad, Gerbe and Ennis. Looks like he'll get plenty of opportunities.

Luckily for him, the Sabres aren't dripping with top line talent. The options after him are Paille, Hecht, Gaustad, Gerbe and Ennis. Looks like he'll get plenty of opportunities.

True. But sooner then later they will need to play Stafford on one of those top 2 lines and then you basically get the debate between Kennedy and MacArthur. Although, i saw last night Ruff moved Gaustad to the 4th with Ellis and Kaleta and had Kennedy playing center for Grier and Hecht.

I expect Stafford to get back on the top 2 lines fairly soon. When that happens, assuming the injury bug hasn't hit, either Kennedy moves back to Portland or the General moves to the press box.

Maybe that's the plan for when Mair is back healthy: Stafford reunites the Voodoo Chiles, Connolly centers the General and Poms, and Kennedy waits for the inevitable injury callup.

I expect Stafford to get back on the top 2 lines fairly soon. When that happens, assuming the injury bug hasn't hit, either Kennedy moves back to Portland or the General moves to the press box.

Maybe that's the plan for when Mair is back healthy: Stafford reunites the Voodoo Chiles, Connolly centers the General and Poms, and Kennedy waits for the inevitable injury callup.

That's my prediction.

I don't think MacArthur is a top six forward in this league more of a third liner. He needs to keep skating hard to be a factor on the Sabres. Connolly, Vanek , Roy , Poms, Stafford are true first and second liners.

...and if MacArthur isn't in the top 6, who is?

Archived