At least one defensive spot up for grabs?

From this article today:

"Ruff isn’t making any guarantees, but there’s considered to be at least one defensive spot up for grabs once Sabres veterans report to camp Saturday."

That doesn't sound right, does it? All of the line mock-ups I have seen look rather full - except the ones where Tallinder is left out.

From this article today:

"Ruff isn’t making any guarantees, but there’s considered to be at least one defensive spot up for grabs once Sabres veterans report to camp Saturday."

That doesn't sound right, does it? All of the line mock-ups I have seen look rather full - except the ones where Tallinder is left out.

There is that spot that's going to belong to Paetsch/Butler/Weber/whomever; I guess that one's up for grabs.

Butler is a slam dunk. The spot open is more likely dependant on whether Myers makes a push or not.

I hope you're right; I have high regard for Butler. But if that's not the open spot, what is? Lydman, Tallinder, Montador, Sekera, and Rivet can't be in any real jeopardy of losing their starting spots--unless the Sabs found a way to unload Tallinder.

Butler is a slam dunk. The spot open is more likely dependant on whether Myers makes a push or not.

A slam dunk to have a spot at the start of the year, but I'm not ready to guarantee that he holds onto it throughout the season. Yeah, we all hope he continues to progress, but he wouldn't be the first 2nd year defenseman to struggle. I think he'll be fine, but I won't ignore the possibility.

I hope you're right; I have high regard for Butler. But if that's not the open spot, what is? Lydman, Tallinder, Montador, Sekera, and Rivet can't be in any real jeopardy of losing their starting spots--unless the Sabs found a way to unload Tallinder.

I generally agree and would just add that it's possible Tallinder becomes a regular healthy scratch like Max last year.

A slam dunk to have a spot at the start of the year, but I'm not ready to guarantee that he holds onto it throughout the season. Yeah, we all hope he continues to progress, but he wouldn't be the first 2nd year defenseman to struggle. I think he'll be fine, but I won't ignore the possibility.

I agree.

Separately: it's kinda nice to pop into a thread without an obnoxious, ill-mannered FNG in your face, isn't it?

Sorry, nfreeman, but I'm about to attract the flies, I think, with the following...

I can't help but think of Tallinder driving away from the Pepsi Center this morning. He had this sort of blank scowl, if you can put the two together. Maybe it was the sun in his face, who knows. But I wonder WHAT THE HELL was he doing there, and why was he leaving thusly - especially in light of the news reported from the session following Tallinder's exit.

It may very well have no connection what-so-ever - zip, zero, nada. But, it's fun to consider that a little drama had been unfolding this, well, yesterday morning.

Sorry, nfreeman, but I'm about to attract the flies, I think, with the following...

I can't help but think of Tallinder driving away from the Pepsi Center this morning. He had this sort of blank scowl, if you can put the two together. Maybe it was the sun in his face, who knows. But I wonder WHAT THE HELL was he doing there, and why was he leaving thusly - especially in light of the news reported from the session following Tallinder's exit.

It may very well have no connection what-so-ever - zip, zero, nada. But, it's fun to consider that a little drama had been unfolding this, well, yesterday morning.

My guess is he was told he would be playing left tackle for the Bills.. The timing is right...

Butler is set as one of our Top 4. The opening is going to come from Tallinder, who could find himself sitting the way Paetche did last year if the Sabres can't move him out. Myers seems to be in the roster plans, too, barring a total collapse in camp. I feel bad for Weber, who will likely be odd man out yet again.

I generally agree and would just add that it's possible Tallinder becomes a regular healthy scratch like Max last year.

Along the same lines as my comment on Butler, I can't ignore the possibility that Tallinder might return to form as a solid NHL defensemen since he's in a contract year. Again, I don't think it's all that likely, but he wouldn't be the first player to show up during a contract year.

I agree.

Separately: it's kinda nice to pop into a thread without an obnoxious, ill-mannered FNG in your face, isn't it?

Hope you weren't referring to me. I think that I was respectful of all the other posters except one. Don't respond well to condescention, I guess.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Tallinder have a bounce back season in his contract year. Very few people are considering that. I think it is unfortunate for Weber, who in my opinion is ready for a spot on an NHL roster full time, but will once again be left out of the mix. Myers has 10 games to prove himself, but say he does... who goes? I know this is the reason the thread was started, but why would they sign Myers if they don't expect him to make the team since he can't play for Portland. I believe he will get a spot for that reason, tallinder will start too becuase of his salary hit. I just don't know what will happen...

Of course you are right. I must be a little rusty when it comes to pure hockey talk.

One less defenseman.

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/local_story_251211317.html

Sabres lost his rights Aug 15th.

“After the prospect camp, I sat down with Darcy Regier and he told me that things weren’t financially in a spot for me to come into their system,” Orpik said last week. “The day I got drafted by Buffalo was such an exciting time for my family and myself, but I know that just because I’m from Buffalo, it doesn’t mean I’m going to play there.”

The Sabres held Orpik’s rights until Aug. 15, but informed him of their decision more than a month before that, giving him a chance to catch on with another team. Two weeks ago, Orpik signed a one-way contract with the San Antonio Rampage, an American Hockey League affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes.

One less defenseman.

“After the prospect camp, I sat down with Darcy Regier and he told me that things weren’t financially in a spot for me to come into their system,” Orpik said last week. “The day I got drafted by Buffalo was such an exciting time for my family and myself, but I know that just because I’m from Buffalo, it doesn’t mean I’m going to play there.”

The Sabres held Orpik’s rights until Aug. 15, but informed him of their decision more than a month before that, giving him a chance to catch on with another team. Two weeks ago, Orpik signed a one-way contract with the San Antonio Rampage, an American Hockey League affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes.

Actually, that's one less forward. He saw very limited time on the blue line for BC this year, mostly because they were thin back there, but he's pretty much always been a forward. Actually, he's more like half a forward since he was never any good.

One less defenseman.

Not a major loss. Doubt he makes it successfully even in the AHL level.

From this article today:

Considering the Sabres are coming off of back to back 10th place finishes you would like to think no position is safe. It would be great, even if unrealistic, if the Sabres came out came with the six best defensemen regardless of contracts or experience. If Myers, Weber, Butler, Sekera and whoever else are the best six, the should be the ones in blue and gold on opening night. It's frustrating that a Tallinder may be there based solely on his contract status. Or that Myers may not be solely based on his pro status.

It sucked spending the summer watching the 2009 Playoffs on the NHL network. This team won't have a chance at the playoffs unless they put the best team possible on the ice every night. Putting a Tallinder or a Hecht out there simply because of their contract only hurts the Sabres chances.

Considering the Sabres are coming off of back to back 10th place finishes you would like to think no position is safe. It would be great, even if unrealistic, if the Sabres came out came with the six best defensemen regardless of contracts or experience. If Myers, Weber, Butler, Sekera and whoever else are the best six, the should be the ones in blue and gold on opening night. It's frustrating that a Tallinder may be there based solely on his contract status. Or that Myers may not be solely based on his pro status.

It sucked spending the summer watching the 2009 Playoffs on the NHL network. This team won't have a chance at the playoffs unless they put the best team possible on the ice every night. Putting a Tallinder or a Hecht out there simply because of their contract only hurts the Sabres chances.

I wonder how many people have actually considered a different version of what you said here. What if Myers stays in juniors because they decide that he isn't one of those top 7 defensemen right now? Will anyone actually believe that or will they just go on the blind assumption that he's better than most of the guys on the big club right now?

I wonder how many people have actually considered a different version of what you said here. What if Myers stays in juniors because they decide that he isn't one of those top 7 defensemen right now? Will anyone actually believe that or will they just go on the blind assumption that he's better than most of the guys on the big club right now?

One has to be very ignorant to think that the Sabres are sending a 19 year old back to juniors because they don't think he's ready, and think it's due to him being able to be send down. If Myers isn't on the Sabres roster on opening night, or on the 10th game of the season, then i really think it has more to do with the coaches not thinking he's ready then anything else. He's 19 years old. Just because the kid has dominated kids his own age, doesn't mean he's ready right now. How many 19 year old d-men are dominating hockey right now?

Rushing a prospect may be the worst thing any franchise could do.

That would depend on the reports coming out of training camp and the few chances there are to actually watch Myers play in the preseason. If the kid shows any signs that he is ready to play in the NHL there is going to be a strong desire by fans to see him in a Sabres uniform this season. You can say the same for Kassian. You can't really blame fans for it. The team is coming off two uninspiring 10th place finishes and a off-season that can best be described as blah. Sabre fans are starving for anything to get excited about. Connolly, Montador and Mike Grier just doesn't fit that bill for a lot of fans.

Archived