At least one defensive spot up for grabs?

One has to be very ignorant to think that the Sabres are sending a 19 year old back to juniors because they don't think he's ready, and think it's due to him being able to be send down. If Myers isn't on the Sabres roster on opening night, or on the 10th game of the season, then i really think it has more to do with the coaches not thinking he's ready then anything else. He's 19 years old. Just because the kid has dominated kids his own age, doesn't mean he's ready right now. How many 19 year old d-men are dominating hockey right now?

Rushing a prospect may be the worst thing any franchise could do.

Myers should only stay with the Sabres if he is "dominate?" A player doesn't have be "dominate" to break into this top six. It is foolish to believe that team finances won't have as much to do with Myers being sent back to juniors as does his play. This team will not pay Tallinder $3 million to sit in the press box. He doesn't have to out play anyone he just has to cash his checks. It's the same reason they forced Max into the lineup last season. If you have a big contract you are going to play. It sucks, it's not how you build a playoff team. It is how Status Quo does business.

That would depend on the reports coming out of training camp and the few chances there are to actually watch Myers play in the preseason. If the kid shows any signs that he is ready to play in the NHL there is going to be a strong desire by fans to see him in a Sabres uniform this season. You can say the same for Kassian. You can't really blame fans for it. The team is coming off two uninspiring 10th place finishes and a off-season that can best be described as blah. Sabre fans are starving for anything to get excited about. Connolly, Montador and Mike Grier just doesn't fit that bill for a lot of fans.

Probably wouldn't hurt ticket sales either having the kid up and playing with the Sabres. I'd be more inclined to go to a game Myers was playing in as opposed to Tallinder. Just a thought.

That would depend on the reports coming out of training camp and the few chances there are to actually watch Myers play in the preseason. If the kid shows any signs that he is ready to play in the NHL there is going to be a strong desire by fans to see him in a Sabres uniform this season. You can say the same for Kassian. You can't really blame fans for it. The team is coming off two uninspiring 10th place finishes and a off-season that can best be described as blah. Sabre fans are starving for anything to get excited about. Connolly, Montador and Mike Grier just doesn't fit that bill for a lot of fans.

I agree with that. However, keeping up Myers and Kassian to make the fans feel "excited" just doesn't make sense either. Not for now, and not for the future. They play great few games, run out of gas by mid-season and then what? They can hear from everyone what kind of busts they are? And they can watch from the press box.... that's not exactly a good way to keep fans excited for anything.

Myers should only stay with the Sabres if he is "dominate?" A player doesn't have be "dominate" to break into this top six. It is foolish to believe that team finances won't have as much to do with Myers being sent back to juniors as does his play. This team will not pay Tallinder $3 million to sit in the press box. He doesn't have to out play anyone he just has to cash his checks. It's the same reason they forced Max into the lineup last season. If you have a big contract you are going to play. It sucks, it's not how you build a playoff team. It is how Status Quo does business.

If they keep Myers, they must be sure he'll be able to carry his own for the entire season. You just can't have a 19 year old sit and watch. That would be a massive deadly mistake the Sabres would do if thats what would happen. If the Sabres don't think he can stay a good consistent player all season long, i think he'll get send down. If they think Myers can play, they will keep him.

As for Hank's $3 million... it has to be in their mindset some what, unlike to people on this forum, hockey/nhl/sabres at the end of the day is just a business. But, a talent like Myers, if he can play, he'll stay. If Sabres send him down, i think he will be mainly due to them not thinking he can handle a 82-game season just yet.

I definitely think that team finances will factor in the decision - there will be a fine line: is Myers' play worth splitting Tallinder's salary with him (with regards to the hit on the club, not who gets the actual paycheck)? If there are any doubts, then finances will reign; they would have to, it's a business. Will Myers help the team make the playoffs over the course of the season more than Tallinder would? Again, any doubts, then finances win.

This is not to say that despite the doubts they think he's NHL ready - but THEY'RE not ready for him to be NHL ready unless over the course of the season they can dump Tallinder. I think his play through camp and pre-season, and even into the regular season will decide, but not without other factors in the final decision.

Max only played 48 games last year. He was healthy-scratched many times. I doubt they'd hesitate to do the same with Tallinder.

Having said that, I agree that it's not impossible that Tallinder could have a good contract year.

Archived