Sabres sign Jeff Cowan

Two or less

Geez man, what a douche play. Just my opinion. Nothing sacred about it. They've signed 3 guys like this.

They aren't all roster players. Season tickets are already sold.

I've never asked anybody for special status here.

If they're not going to be Sabres, then why do the Sabres "pimp" them as such? Many in the fan base buy right into it. See elcrusho's post. If this is "no way" bamboozling, then what is it?

X., honestly, doesn't the "theme" of this offseason ring any alarm bells with you?

If they're not going to be Sabres, then why do the Sabres "pimp" them as such? Many in the fan base buy right into it. See elcrusho's post. If this is "no way" bamboozling, then what is it?

It's August 21st. What else are they going to have on the site at this point? Taking a quick look around random team sites, I'm seeing nothing but stuff about tv and preseason schedules being released, and the occasional "player X signed". Quite simply put, the Cowan thing is the most recent event for the team, so it's listed first. If you click on the link, it leads to a very short article with maybe 7 sentences. That's hardly "pimping" the signing.

There is absolutely nothing to talk about at this time of the year.

X., honestly, doesn't the "theme" of this offseason ring any alarm bells with you?

If these are market driven moves they are really poor ones.

I would expect there to be something on Sabres.com even if they resigned Val James.

Nobody buys a ticket to see Cowan, Dipenta or McCormick.

These are cheap depth moves and guys with some NHL experience

that are willing to play in the AHL and hope for injuries and

maybe mentor some youngsters. - they can hire 5 veterans

for Portland and have already lost Bouck and Darche (I think). So Portland

is probably looking +1 ....and these guys have all been promised

an NHL tryout but probably know the score.

If these are market driven moves they are really poor ones.

I would expect there to be something on Sabres.com even if they resigned Val James.

Nobody buys a ticket to see Cowan, Dipenta or McCormick.

These are cheap depth moves and guys with some NHL experience

that are willing to play in the AHL and hope for injuries and

maybe mentor some youngsters. - they can hire 5 veterans

for Portland and have already lost Bouck and Darche (I think). So Portland

is probably looking +1 ....and these guys have all been promised

an NHL tryout but probably know the score.

No one move is "market-driven." But taken as a whole, the draft selections and FA signings certainly are aimed at a market that thinks the Sabres have grown too soft. But the draft won't help in the short term, and as you point out, most of the signings are Portland guys. The drafting of Mike Foligno's kid and the signing of Mike Grier are most telling. Man, Darcy has to feel like he's shooting fish in a barrel. Look at the collective erection that Grier's signing caused on this board. It was like bisons running over a cliff, or the folks lining up for Kool Aid in Jonestown.

Anyway, I smell a rat. When the Sabres narrowly miss the playoffs again, and Regier is extended to "finish the job he started," don't come whining to me.

Signing players for Portland is as much a part of his job as signing them for Buffalo. I have no idea why anyone would react so negatively to something simple like this. If you want to look at it another way, someone needs to be there to mentor and protect the Kennedy's, Gerbe's and Enroth's in the system so that they can continue to develop and hopefully turn into complete NHL players. How exactly is that something that people need to bash Darcy for?

What he said :thumbsup: and add before they are called upon/into NHL.

No one move is "market-driven." But taken as a whole, the draft selections and FA signings certainly are aimed at a market that thinks the Sabres have grown too soft. But the draft won't help in the short term, and as you point out, most of the signings are Portland guys. The drafting of Mike Foligno's kid and the signing of Mike Grier are most telling. Man, Darcy has to feel like he's shooting fish in a barrel. Look at the collective erection that Grier's signing caused on this board. It was like bisons running over a cliff, or the folks lining up for Kool Aid in Jonestown.

Anyway, I smell a rat. When the Sabres narrowly miss the playoffs again, and Regier is extended to "finish the job he started," don't come whining to me.

That's right, they are signing people they will have to waive at the end of September just to mess with us.

Bastards. We fall for it every year.

Last year we fell for that Darche, Ellis, Bonnereau, and Bouck scam they were running. It ends today.

I dunno about that one, while it certainly can be inferred didn't the FO specifically say awhile ago they planned on most help coming from players they already had stepping up with a desire to add a little toughness up front and on the backend if they could make right the deals happen? So are these moves just for the consumer/market or to adress the changing style of the game as they admitted the style has changed ? And even if allot of it is just for Portland isn't it better to have the kids learn to be tougher on the farm then be expected to just into it when they are called up ?

That's right, they are signing people they will have to waive at the end of September just to mess with us.

Bastards. We fall for it every year.

Last year we fell for that Darche, Ellis, Bonnereau, and Bouck scam they were running. It ends today.

Douché.

Oh, OK. Thanks for correcting me. X. has spoken. You remind me of Ronald Reagan, who once famously said, "I may be wrong, but I'm never in doubt."

SABRES SIGN JEFF COWAN is the screaming, and I mean screaming, headline on sabres.com. Who exactly are the Sabres trying to convince that they're getting "stronger, grittier, tougher, meaner"?

You are spiraling out of control.

It seems as if the board has gotten extremely whiny as of late. Before it was just Deluca we had to tolerate, but some other posters have made my favorite message board slightly less enjoyable.

I tell ya, it's all the time that SDS is spending over here. He's given us the TBD virus.

Oh, OK. Thanks for correcting me. X. has spoken. You remind me of Ronald Reagan, who once famously said, "I may be wrong, but I'm never in doubt."

SABRES SIGN JEFF COWAN is the screaming, and I mean screaming, headline on sabres.com. Who exactly are the Sabres trying to convince that they're getting "stronger, grittier, tougher, meaner"?

Me.

It's me, alright?

And boy, am I happy!

Bring on Chris Neil...

It seems as if the board has gotten extremely whiny as of late. Before it was just Deluca we had to tolerate, but some other posters have made my favorite message board slightly less enjoyable.

You are complaining about whining with whining? Fighting fire with fire I guess.

What you are seeing is a reaction by fans tired of a 10th place team doing nothing to better their position. Sabres fans who foolishly think this team is going to be any better than the previous two versions are as silly as Bills fans who think that Buffalo sports franchise playoff drought will end this year. Adding a Mike Grier, and I like Mike Grier, to a 10th place team isn't going to get the job done.

It's August 21st. What else are they going to have on the site at this point? Taking a quick look around random team sites, I'm seeing nothing but stuff about tv and preseason schedules being released, and the occasional "player X signed". Quite simply put, the Cowan thing is the most recent event for the team, so it's listed first. If you click on the link, it leads to a very short article with maybe 7 sentences. That's hardly "pimping" the signing.

There is absolutely nothing to talk about at this time of the year.

In Buffalo that is correct. For the teams that actually have attempted to improve themselves and make playoff pushes there is plenty to talk about. With the exception of Mike Grier the Sabres have signed a bunch of stiffs that fans wont even remember ever were Sabres property. If they they do it will on the same level as the celebrated return of Bob Corkum.

The Sabres have addressed their lack of toughness the same way they address their backup goalie. They scrapped the bottom of the barrel.

The Sabres have addressed their lack of toughness the same way they address their backup goalie. They scrapped the bottom of the barrel.

You must be referring to letting Peters walk.

One might even say that after scrapping it, they then scraped it. :nana:

I was considering signing up for NHL Center Ice. Now I have to thank the Sabres FO for helping me come back to my senses.

To the Sabres FO: there is NGDFW I am going to bother watching or listening to the worthless product you're going to put on the ice this year! We all know it, and you know it too. We're done with you trying to continue to insult our intelligence.

Oh, and BTW: quit drinking that Kool Aid out of the Niagara River and maybe you'll come to your senses again.

No way. These are no-name light heavyweights that maybe less than 10% of fans have heard of. Organizationally - they must want protection for players in Portland.

That's a very good observation and I agree. Besides, if Cowan is brought up to Buffalo for a few games, I'm sure he can produce more points than Peters ever could. Peters is a boring fighter anyway, he dances too much. I watched a couple of Cowan's fight videos, he has a LOT more spunk.

Archived