Rumor: Moore close to re-signing

Two or less

Not sure how credible this web site is.

But they seem pretty confident. From their twitter-

Shanahan has been offered a 2 year deal from the Devils, sources say he will sign. Also, Dominic Moore is close to signing with Sabres.

then

Dominic Moore and Sabres are talking around the $1.75 million range.

Link- http://twitter.com/nhlsourcessay

If this is true, there must be a trade. No way of getting around it.

Also, i can't put too much stock into this, as yesterday they said Todd Bertuzzi is in talks with Buffalo....somehow i doubt Regier would be discussing deals with both Bertuzzi AND Dominic.... lol

People love to read rumors so i figured i would post it since this is a message board after all.

I have no problem with signing Moore but someone would have to be on the way out. Hecht, Paille or MacArthur would have to go.

...and if Kennedy and/or Gerbe is going to play in Buffalo, it will need to be more one forward on the way out.

How is Moore any different of a player than the three mentioned here? Just seems like more of the same, excuse the pun.

He's not. I'd actually rather have Paille or MacArthur, based on potential. Hecht, salary wise is the worst value of the lot unless he has a big bounce back season.

How is Moore any different of a player than the three mentioned here? Just seems like more of the same, excuse the pun.

Agreed. But as far as a scoring touch his numbers when on anything but the 1st line (as he was in TO) are less than to be desired. If his wrist injury caused him to have a lackluster end of year with the Sabres then maybe he could provide some more O spark.

Agreed. But as far as a scoring touch his numbers when on anything but the 1st line (as he was in TO) are less than to be desired. If his wrist injury caused him to have a lackluster end of year with the Sabres then maybe he could provide some more O spark.

It just seems like another "best case scenario" to heap onto the steaming pile of "best case scenarios" that the 2009-10 season is shaping up to be.

He was 14th in the league last season.

The only one on our team better than him was Roy. And I only say better because Roy took more faceoffs. His percentage was actually lower than Moore's. Moore ranked 54% and Roy ranked 51%. Roy was 745/724 and Moore was 673/571. I think you're underestimating Moore's value to this team, when our second best faceoff man is Paul Gaustad.

While I don't consider Moore to be a true #2 center, I'd still much rather have Moore filling in for an injured Connolly than Hecht or Gaustad. One thing that I will say for Dominic is that he competes. You could say that he's got spunk or that he's scrappy, but whatever you call it, he doesn't seem to take shifts off like some of our players. Paille may have more potential, but unless he consistently battles, he won't be the better player.

The only one on our team better than him was Roy. And I only say better because Roy took more faceoffs. His percentage was actually lower than Moore's. Moore ranked 54% and Roy ranked 51%. Roy was 745/724 and Moore was 673/571. I think you're underestimating Moore's value to this team, when our second best faceoff man is Paul Gaustad.

I don't think that's how that works. Faceoff percentage is pretty tight and the league average should be 50%, so 51% is nothing to crow about.

He's not. I'd actually rather have Paille or MacArthur, based on potential. Hecht, salary wise is the worst value of the lot unless he has a big bounce back season.

While I'm willing to give both Paille and Mac another season, if the choice is Moore at $1.75MM but giving up one of those 2, I'd take Moore.

Moore is awesome on face offs. Something we lack at times on the PP or PK.

Good call.

While I don't consider Moore to be a true #2 center, I'd still much rather have Moore filling in for an injured Connolly than Hecht or Gaustad. One thing that I will say for Dominic is that he competes. You could say that he's got spunk or that he's scrappy, but whatever you call it, he doesn't seem to take shifts off like some of our players. Paille may have more potential, but unless he consistently battles, he won't be the better player.

Right on, as always. He's good TC injury insurance, he plays hard and he'd be maybe the fastest guy on the team.

If the Sabres do keep him, though, it becomes increasingly possible that they decide that Stafford is too expensive and dump him in a trade. Maybe this is how they get rid of Tallinder or Hecht -- ie Stafford is an attractive enough player to get someone to take Tallinder/Hecht off their hands. I think this is less than 50% likely, because I think DR really likes Stafford and doesn't want to give up on him when he's still 3 years away from UFA, but if we sign Moore it just seems like there are too many forwards (albeit not enough good ones).

Numbers game? Or does this go back to your theory of how much money Darcy has to work with?

Strictly numbers (ie number of forwards).

Connolly-Pommer-Vanek

Roy-Stafford-MacArthur

Gaustad-Moore-Hecht

Mair-Kaleta-Paille

extra: McCormick, Ellis, Kennedy, Gerbe

I actually like Moore.

I think the wrist held him back for us last year, and if he re-signed, I'd be pretty pleased with it.

Again, it would be an excellent depth/ 3rd line/ PK- type of signing, but if he can recapture that touch he had in Toronto before his injury...his competitiveness and feisty attitude would be a good fit.

Could do alot worse than bringing him back (like signing Peters, or Afinogenov...)

What Moore has going for him are face-offs and feistiness. After the trade deadline last season, I think one of the few things enjoyable about the games was that between Roy and Moore, the Sabres finally stood a chance on face-offs. If I had to choose two from Paille, MacArthur, and Moore, Moore would be one of the two. I think the General has more of a scoring touch when he's on, but Paille is a better overall player when he's on. Neither of the latter two were on their game much at all last season.

However, if there is a trade in the works, my guess is that Paille might be the one on the block because of his potential and salary. I would be surprised if anyone took the General before seeing what he does this coming season.

Strictly numbers (ie number of forwards).

Connolly-Pommer-Vanek

Roy-Stafford-MacArthur

Gaustad-Moore-Hecht

Mair-Kaleta-Paille

extra: McCormick, Ellis, Kennedy, Gerbe

IIRC, Gerbe and Kennedy can both go to the :pirate: 's w/out clearing waivers. McCormick will probably be in the press box more often than not, and there is no reason (other than cost) that there can't be another forward up there as well.

Throw in the fact that this team is not particularily immune to injuries and I don't see the Sabres having too many bodies w/ the addition of Moore. Can't say the sight of MacArthur on the 2nd line is overly reassuring, but I do like the other lines (when they're healthy).

IIRC, Gerbe and Kennedy can both go to the :pirate: 's w/out clearing waivers. McCormick will probably be in the press box more often than not, and there is no reason (other than cost) that there can't be another forward up there as well.

Throw in the fact that this team is not particularily immune to injuries and I don't see the Sabres having too many bodies w/ the addition of Moore. Can't say the sight of MacArthur on the 2nd line is overly reassuring, but I do like the other lines (when they're healthy).

Both Moore and Roy at comfortable at Wing on any line....so it give you some flexibility.

Roy isn't going to play the 4th ...but I loved the minutes from Gaustad-Moore-Mair when they were on the occasional shift together

I'm not sure it mattered who was where.

I think you're right about Gerbe and Kennedy being send down-able, and I can't really disagree with anything else in this post. Still, though, I can't shake the feeling that (i) DR and Lindy want Kennedy in the top 12 this year, (ii) the Sabres will not go into the year with a $54MM+ payroll (which will be the case with Moore and Stafford on the roster if no trades are made) and (iii) DR wants to make a trade.

Archived