(OT Sorta) Versus Network

Screamin'Weasel

I think we can all admit we will always prefer an RJ game call to a national broadcast. However, I think we can all agree that Vs. broadcasts have gotten better since they started. Great? Not in my opinion, but definitely better. Also, Vs. has a contract to broadcast the UFL games on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Granted it is the UFL not the NFL but it is professional football and so many people need a football fix that I am sure it will get viewers since it does not conflict with the NFL's schedule.

Does this make Vs. a viable sports network now?

I had also read somewhere (I thought it was posted here but I'll be damned if I can find it now) that ESPN was considering a new contract for NHL games. Should the NHL consider leaving Vs. for ESPN if you do believe Vs. is (or is becoming) a legitimate contender as a sports network?

Would a switch to ESPN really increase NHL popularity/ratings?

I am really not sure how I answer any of these questions myself.

I think the UFL contract will help Vs. and make the network a little more legitimate. I really don't think a switch to ESPN will help the NHL much, if at all, and Vs. gave them national broadcasts when ESPN laughed in the NHL's collective faces.

I just am not sure. Opinions?

I like Vs. Of course if you are forced to eat shiit long enough eventually you will be come a connoisseur of shiit.

Versus is perfect for my hockey veiwing pleasure. As long as they focus on it and promote it while improving their broadcasts they could have a viable relationship.

I'm reasonably OK with the Vs. game coverage. The HD is great and their announcers are mostly pretty good. I think their studio shows are pretty lame. My biggest complaint by far, though, is the on-screen promos, stats and miscellaneous crap that they put up during the game action, which obscures the actual play. I find this completely bush league and unacceptable.

I'm reasonably OK with the Vs. game coverage. The HD is great and their announcers are mostly pretty good. I think their studio shows are pretty lame. My biggest complaint by far, though, is the on-screen promos, stats and miscellaneous crap that they put up during the game action, which obscures the actual play. I find this completely bush league and unacceptable.

You don't like the 45 minute interviews during the on ice action with Paul Kelly or Christie Brinkley? :wallbash:

Falderal!

They are getting to be a better sports channel. Sad to say but I feel like hockey is probably their largest contract. They do have college football (most of the important games are on other channels though) and just had Tour De France.

IMO they aren't really making a play at doing anything to contend with ESPN.

As previously stated though, HD is great. Promos are bad.

Two biggest complaints about VS:

1. Announcers - Even though I'll be a homer for saying it, but when Buffalo plays against another team, RJ at least knows the players names from the other teams. VS announcers usually have two names on their mind as I say in the GDT's whenever sabres play on VS (Ovechkin and Crosby).

2. They replaced bass fishing tournaments with PBR(Professional Bull Riding). Not Pabst Blue Ribbon. Otherwise it would be only one complaint.

If you watched the playoffs on Versus you'll know what I'm talking about here. I don't know how many times I missed goals/saves/scoring chances because the Versus crew decides to focus on some random #%^$#! going on -- the fans, the announcers themselves, the players bench, an ice-level reporter -- instead of following the puck. It was especially bad between faceoffs; they'd show some replay or the crowd and not cut back to the game in time for the faceoff, which at times lead to missed goals/saves.

other than that, just the announcers.

now that I think about it, I guess what I'm saying is I only watch it because it's in HD and is the only channel that shows hockey games.

for Sabres home games, though, I'll take MSGHD.

2. They replaced bass fishing tournaments with PBR(Professional Bull Riding). Not Pabst Blue Ribbon. Otherwise it would be only one complaint.

There's still some fishin' on on VS, just maybe not now with the wall-to-wall Tour coverage. There's also lots of huntin' and Indy Car.

You don't like the 45 minute interviews during the on ice action with Paul Kelly or Christie Brinkley? :wallbash:

I don't, but what really makes me insane is when they show some dumb graphic on the screen (like "top 5 all-time assist leaders among redheads born in Estonia" or "Don't miss Kyra Sedgwick in the Stinky Seductress Tuesdays at 10 PM"), with the black background so it's not even transparent, during the play.

The coverage has gotten better but I still don't think it's great.

1) Maybe it's my exposure to RJ but I can't stand it when the color guy goes off on some tangent when the game is going on that leads to a 2 minute conversation "blah blah blah... oh wait they scored". It's almost like the actual game is secondary and I can't imagine a casual fan trying to watch a game where the broadcast doesn't even pay attention to it all the time.

2) I'm with several other posters here... I can't stand the on screen graphics, especially the "interview quadrant" that keep me from seeing the game.

3) Maybe I'm old school, but I don't like the 100 camera changes during a play. Stick with one angle (preferable up high) and use the other angles for replays.

4) On the positive side they stopped using the inside the net cam for live gameplay, like they did in their first season.

On the subject of VS against ESPN, I had an actual conversation last week with a guy who is not a huge hockey fan but likes the sport and he asked me "Is it still on the Outdoor Life Network"? Maybe he's out of touch, but I just have a feeling no one knows what VS is. It's up in the 600's on DirecTV which definitely hurts exposure to someone flipping through the channels, whereas everyone knows what ESPN is. Does that mean ESPN would bring better ratings? Probably not, but I bet people would have a better chace of casually coming accross a game.

I think we can all admit we will always prefer an RJ game call to a national broadcast. However, I think we can all agree that Vs. broadcasts have gotten better since they started. Great? Not in my opinion, but definitely better. Also, Vs. has a contract to broadcast the UFL games on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Granted it is the UFL not the NFL but it is professional football and so many people need a football fix that I am sure it will get viewers since it does not conflict with the NFL's schedule.

Does this make Vs. a viable sports network now?

I had also read somewhere (I thought it was posted here but I'll be damned if I can find it now) that ESPN was considering a new contract for NHL games. Should the NHL consider leaving Vs. for ESPN if you do believe Vs. is (or is becoming) a legitimate contender as a sports network?

Would a switch to ESPN really increase NHL popularity/ratings?

I am really not sure how I answer any of these questions myself.

I think the UFL contract will help Vs. and make the network a little more legitimate. I really don't think a switch to ESPN will help the NHL much, if at all, and Vs. gave them national broadcasts when ESPN laughed in the NHL's collective faces.

I just am not sure. Opinions?

Why would it necessarily have to be a switch to ESPN? I'm pretty certain that the NBA has been on TNT and ESPN in the same season and I know TNT and ESPN used to share NFL games.

While it might not bring in as many short term $'s (actually it might bring in more), it likely would be more beneficial long term as the NHL would go back to getting exposure on ESPN (although they'll still be the red-headed step child even if ESPN were to have exclusive rights) and would still be shown on a network that actually CARES about the NHL.

Heck, take a slightly lower rights fee from Vs and work out an NBC-type deal w/ ESPN if necessary.

Considering ESPN looks down on hockey almost perpetually (even when they do show the games) I don't see much of what the NHL gains by letting ESPN have the exclusive US cable TV rights.

If it wasn't for JP Losman, I wouldn't know what the UFL was. As long as MSG broadcasts the Sabres games in standard def, I prefer the games on Vs. RJ, smar-J. If I can't see the effin game, what good is hearing it.

Have they sorted out the BS regarding the games in HD? Even with CI the home games aren't in HD. I recall someone saying it revolved around rights and $. I hope they sort it out because the non HD feed from MSG on CI is horrid. Kinda like watching the game through a dirty fish bowl.

Have they sorted out the BS regarding the games in HD? Even with CI the home games aren't in HD. I recall someone saying it revolved around rights and $. I hope they sort it out because the non HD feed from MSG on CI is horrid. Kinda like watching the game through a dirty fish bowl.

Somehow I forgot that the Sabres home games were in HD, but like you said, the away games are like watching through a dirty fish bowl. Now only if the Sabres would stop playing like dead fish.

I watched most of the season on the internet last year, though games on TV are better and did watch VS when available. I agree the graphics and game ads were not up to snuff, but getting better. On a side note, our over 35 team won 4-3 the other night on a last second goal. I got robbed on a breakaway, but had an assist and wasn't on the ice for any against... Not bad.

The tour de france (still can't give france that much respect) is still fun to watch... I keep an eye out for the wrecks :P Having been to a couple of races in the States... TV doesn't do these races justice. There is actually more going on in the Peleton than shown on TV.... too bad they don't catch it. I actually saw punches fly during a race while the race was going on and often jabs with riders feet and lots of elbows. Often there was blood flowing from the domestiques.

P.S. In college I worked as a bicycle courier in DC. Biggest adrenaline rush I ever got was sprinting between the WH and the Capitol building during rush hour barely slowing down for red lights. See a gap... go for it. I could make it from one to the other in about 10 minutes in my prime. We did 50 miles of sprint work a day and then some of the guys would go race afterwards... it was nuts.

I know UFL due to them getting some big name coaches there... i'll probably watch why not. I mean if tommy maddox can go from XFL to NFL. There could be some talent hiding in there. Plus there isn't much else on.

Also,

My main complaint about Vs. other than the previously stated is/are:

- The endboard cam looking over the net and out to the blue line on a power play. The came is turning and trying to keep up with the action and it doesn't work and looks horrible and makes it hard to track. Yet they keep using it.

-When penalties occur, a good portion of the time they don't even tell you what it is and they go straight to a commercial without showing a replay. If it happened off camera good luck ever knowing why some team is just magically on a powerplay.

Why would it necessarily have to be a switch to ESPN? I'm pretty certain that the NBA has been on TNT and ESPN in the same season and I know TNT and ESPN used to share NFL games.

While it might not bring in as many short term $'s (actually it might bring in more), it likely would be more beneficial long term as the NHL would go back to getting exposure on ESPN (although they'll still be the red-headed step child even if ESPN were to have exclusive rights) and would still be shown on a network that actually CARES about the NHL.

Heck, take a slightly lower rights fee from Vs and work out an NBC-type deal w/ ESPN if necessary.

Considering ESPN looks down on hockey almost perpetually (even when they do show the games) I don't see much of what the NHL gains by letting ESPN have the exclusive US cable TV rights.

Good topic. My two cents... I think we can all agree that Hockey fell out of the "Big Four" (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) a long time ago. We are clearly not in the Big Four anymore. I think Nascar has taken our slot. I used to get pissed off that we were not included on ESPN and considered the "redheaded step-child" of the Professional leagues. Is anyones else sick and tired of seeing guys slam dunk a basketball as the #1-5 of the top ten plays of the week??? We all know Ovie scoring from his belly takes a lot more skill than dunking a ball on a ten foot hoop when you're 7' 2'' and have the reach to tower over the rim standing flat footed....

As for being on ESPN, I could care less about that anymore; as long as I have the Center Ice Package and the NHL Network to re-cap each game with in-depth details and replays, I get all the coverage I need. ESPN can go F themselves as far as Im concerened. Granted, being on their network could go along way of promoting our sport but at the end of the day I think we will never be in the Big Four again and the NHL needs to realize this and stop worrying about it. It is what it is. We all know hockey is the coolest game on earth, has the most skilled athletes and the most humblest (if thats even a word) of professionals in all of sports (you never see an Ocho Cinco on any team)......

In summary, as long as we get the coverge we want, I say F what others think and we shall continue to let them ignore hockey becasue I simply dont care what others think......we know we have a great sport and the rest are second class citizens.. :worthy:

we know we have a great sport and the rest are second class citizens.. :worthy:

If they just remove the goon on goon sideshow fighting and let players fight, you know, when they get pissed at one another, it would go a long way to improve the sport.

Archived