(OT Sorta) Versus Network

Screamin'Weasel

We didn't even need any of that when I was growing up.

We just used our sneakers as goal post markers and played barefoot in the middle of whatever weather.

This was after walking to and from school - up hill - both ways.

We didn't even have a puck or ball.

We had to use a frozen dead frog.

In the Summer the frog thawed and stunk-up the youngest kid (from slap-shots) who was forced to play goal.

Mom would not let us keep the frog frozen in the icebox.

It would fall apart and our puck (frog) handling skills suffered.

Life was tough.

So it was just you and 1 other kid?? :unsure:

We just used our sneakers as goal post markers and played barefoot in the middle of whatever weather.

In the Summer the frog thawed and stunk-up the youngest kid (from slap-shots) who was forced to play goal.

Life was tough.

That was in the hallways at school. Yeh, we played a lot of street hockey in Converse All Stars. Great for sliding though. Barefeet we passed on except the one month of summer in the mud after a good rain.

It was never on top and it will never be. Hockey fans are hockey fans, sports fans that I know either like it or not. No fence sitters waiting for the league to do something to catch their eye.

Hockey is the best spectator sport their is. Baseball is a snorefest in person, I've never attended an NBA game but having been to NCAA games, they are a decent watch but the only things you notice are dunks, three's and blocked shots. Football, the greatest TV sport there is, is almost unwatchable in person as the only plays that are distinguishable from the rest are 50 yard bombs.

I agree that hockey is the best sport to attend live, but a good college basketball game and a good NFL game are pretty close. (I can't stand NBA games anymore.) The fans, and the players, are so intense at college basketball games. NFL games include tailgates, which are frequently as good as the games themselves. And when the home team is on D and bursts in for a sack on 3rd-and-long and the crowd goes crazy -- it makes all the hype and BS associated with the NFL almost worth it. Just my opinion.

As for VS/ESPN, I think it would be very good for the NHL to get back on ESPN, but I'd want to see it shared with VS in the same way that the NBA is shared with TNT. There is no way ESPN would deliver an NHL doubleheader in HD during the playoffs every night the way VS does. The VS coverage is certainly flawed, but there's no substitute for having that many HD playoff games.

No...(sniff)...it was only an imaginary friend....no one would play with me...because I'm a smart-ass.

post-1768-1248542281_thumbjpg

My mom says I'm cool though.

Haha! :lol:

My first post via iPhone. Not very smooth but do able. Anyone else post with theirs?

Haha! :lol:

My first post via iPhone. Not very smooth but do able. Anyone else post with theirs?

I've done it. I agree -- not easy but doable. FYI, if you're on the iphone and just feel like reading the boards (not posting), the lo-fi version is quite a bit faster.

No...(sniff)...it was only an imaginary friend....no one would play with me...because I'm a smart-ass.

post-1768-1248542281_thumbjpg

My mom says I'm cool though.

:lol:

If we ever decided to all get together for a game, and I somehow got to be captain, I'd pick you first, if for no other reason, your posts crack me up! (that and your screen name is brilliant!!)

Life was tough.

I hear you, brother.

We were too poor to afford sticks, so we used broken drywall from the vacant crackhouse.

:lol:

If we ever decided to all get together for a game, and I somehow got to be captain, I'd pick you first, if for no other reason, your posts crack me up! (that and your screen name is brilliant!!)

Just don't ask him who originally came up with the idea for that username.

I suggested it to another poster, then he switched to it. Shortly after you showed up and he changed his name again (unless you're the same person and you started a whole new account). Check out the username history here.

That is pretty cool.

I think Danny Tanner may actually have a legitimate beef with me over the title though.

It was his/ her's first according to the dates.

I used the name for an ESPN fantasy playoff hockey pool about five years ago.

The pool was excellent.

You had to pick your lineup the day before the eligible player's games were to be played.

You could (and had to) adjust your lineup each day.

I really got into it, but never saw the pool held again.

BTW...

Foligno is one of my top five favorite all-time Sabres and one of my favorite NHLers.

He is the singular reason for me in forgiving Scotty Bowman for trading away Danny Gare.

My condolences also go out to his family over the loss of their hockey mom.

I feel fortunate that we will hopefully get to see Marcus follow in his father's Sabre footsteps here.

Here's aslo hoping that Nick may make his way down to Buffalo to play alongside his brother someday. I like his play as well.

Archived