Zagrapan leaves for Russia

wildcat48

How is that even possible?

I haven't seen all the details, but I would imagine that they put the rights up to all players within a certain age range. I don't know if there was a max, but the minimum age was 1 year lower than the NHL, hoping that they could convince a few kids to go over there before they're even NHL eligiible. Enroth fell within the age range so some team took a shot late. From the list I saw, it looked like teams went crazy on goalies. Anyway, if Enroth ever decides to head over there, that team holds his rights. He's under contract though, so obviously he can't just leave, not that anyone has suggested that he's even interested in it.

I haven't seen all the details, but I would imagine that they put the rights up to all players within a certain age range. I don't know if there was a max, but the minimum age was 1 year lower than the NHL, hoping that they could convince a few kids to go over there before they're even NHL eligiible. Enroth fell within the age range so some team took a shot late. From the list I saw, it looked like teams went crazy on goalies. Anyway, if Enroth ever decides to head over there, that team holds his rights. He's under contract though, so obviously he can't just leave, not that anyone has suggested that he's even interested in it.

Well, I think he actually can, more or less. I don't think there is a transfer agreement in place right now between the NHL and the KHL -- this is why Radulov was able to sign with the KHL despite being under contract with Nashville. If Enroth were to sign with the KHL, the Sabres could sue him, and probably reach any assets he has in the US, but if he wants to go there and not come back, there's nothing to stop him.

As you point out though, it's academic and highly unlikely anyway.

Well, I think he actually can, more or less. I don't think there is a transfer agreement in place right now between the NHL and the KHL -- this is why Radulov was able to sign with the KHL despite being under contract with Nashville. If Enroth were to sign with the KHL, the Sabres could sue him, and probably reach any assets he has in the US, but if he wants to go there and not come back, there's nothing to stop him.

As you point out though, it's academic and highly unlikely anyway.

There actually is a deal in place between the KHL and the NHL. Radulov signed with his KHL team just days before the deal became official, so he just slipped by.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that deal was ever signed and made official.

Everything I've read makes it look like it was in fact signed, but only after the whole Radulov deal. There is no formal transfer agreement, just this agreement not to sign players under contract.

Archived